Jeff Ireland's Legacy Still Hindering 2019 Dolphins

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DKphin, Jul 10, 2019.

1. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Seasoned Veteran Finheaven VIP

He was credited (by his own organization, the Saints) as being the mastermind behind their two rookie studs, Kamara and Lattimore. That was one of the all time great drafts for that team, based on 3 years of production alone.

He had a REAL keen eye for mid to late round talent. Look at his picks. He was always pretty damn decent - he just was a complete trash at everything else related to being a GM.

where's th'fish likes this.
  2. mfish41

mfish41 It is what it is Donator

I recall reading Sean Payton was the one that really wanted Kamara.

3. mfish41

That 2013 draft class and off season was the end of the line.

He went all in that off-season and went bankrupt.

I don't blame Ireland for the state of the team now, but that 2013 off season did set us back.

Travis34 likes this.
  4. TannDaMan17

TannDaMan17 A True Fan

And ironically, he wasn't even fired for the 2013 draft/off-season which would have made some sense.

He was fired because he pissed off Ross by talking s*** about his boy Queasy (the one Ross chose when it should have been Ireland's decision) after ANOTHER end of season meltdown (pathetic coaching) to Dawn who went and snitched on him to the boss, most likely for her own personal gain, but that's life I guess.

Most GM's have a bad draft class eventually, but sometimes they are given an opportunity to learn from them, and sometimes their abrasive personality gets them fired because the owner can't handle the truth which was that Queasy never should have been hired in the first place.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com...thews-josh-huff-marcus-smith-taylor-hart-cuts

Ireland is doing what he does best now, which is scouting collegiate talent at a high level, people forget or don't know he had a lot to do with Dallas selecting Demarcus Ware and I'm sure a few other hits as well (which is why Parcells was fond of him).

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-orlea...ireland-will-benefit-from-return-to-his-roots

The league is noticing, and he will get his opportunity as a GM again.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    mfish41 likes this.
  5. mfish41

The situation with Philbin and Ireland was toxic and Ross's only choices were to clear house or get rid of Ireland. Had he fired Philbin that would of been the second coach given his papers with Ireland as the gm, no coach with options would want to follow that. It sounds like he's doing better in New Orleans, but 2013 Jeff Ireland had to get canned and he deserved it.

TannDaMan17 likes this.
  6. BigNastyFish

BigNastyFish A True Fan Donator

...so he's a classic (and classless) Peter Principle dude.

Shocking.

7. dolpns13

dolpns13 Taste the Burn Finheaven VIP Donator

Funny. So was rick spielman. He went on to be successful too. The dolphins are the practice field for mistakes when it comes to these Two!

John Biello and TannDaMan17 like this.
  8. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer None of my business. Finheaven VIP Donator

Agreed with the thread title. One of his lieutenants now runs the team entirely. Sad!

9. TannDaMan17

TannDaMan17 A True Fan

Naw, Grier is doing a fantastic job and was a great hire. Imo it's always better to have a GM who has cut their teeth in scouting as opposed to a numbers guy.

upload_2019-7-12_15-12-30.jpeg

coalesce and dolpns13 like this.
  10. Irishfinfan1

Irishfinfan1 Well-Known Member

Think the biggest issue with Ireland was the disconnect between the scouts and GM, against the coaching staff. If you have constant coach turnover where coaches want different things and Ireland and the scouts don't listen to the coaches it was never going to work. Hickey's first step was to find out what the coaches want, such a basic question.

11. royalshank

royalshank Not a Game-Changer Finheaven VIP Donator

I can’t do this revisionist history thing here. The guy sucked and was a train wreck here. Don’t forget the Dez Bryant interview either.

12. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

That's it. The Dolphins have lacked great players for so long I'm almost beyond caring. It's like a given for this franchise.

Ireland relied too much on his own eyes and scouting technique and ignored the big picture. In essence, he tried to get too cute. When you've got a high pick then make darn sure it is someone who has always stood out among his peers. If you do it the other way -- by projecting a late bloomer into that spot -- it may feel extra special satisfying when it pans out, but you are needlessly subjecting yourself to far greater risk, and the greatest risk of all is that the player merely settles into the same territory he has always occupied. You want him to be great. He can't even imagine being great, or fathom any reason to believe he should be great.

I will never understand how anyone could look into Dion Jordan's eyes and get excited at the prospect of drafting him. That film room should have had portrait sized photos of Dion Jordan's facial expressions hanging from every wall. Don't allow yourself to look at one play on tape without spending equal time glancing at those snoozing eyes.

I had some very demanding bosses in Las Vegas, and especially the guy from the stats office. Consequently I have adopted a very simple method for picking someone for any project like roofer or car repair...whatever. I instantly evaluate the guy and ask myself...Could I present this guy to my old boss in Las Vegas and confidently tell him that he is sharp and reliable, that he may not have any related background but he is so top notch he'll pick it up quickly anyway, and really help us?

It is amazing how well that works. If I have people for gutter installation and one seems very nice but is taking forever to measure everything, and running one possibility after another by me in terms of downspouts, etc. that is someone who I would never introduce to that boss. If you're taking that long it means you are a late blooming plodding stiff, and not someone ultra sharp who can pick it up instantly. I want the guy who can take a quick look and immediately tell me what I need.

The guy who is taking forever is like the general managers who think they have to go back and watch every single play from a guy's college career. At that point you are simply trying to talk yourself into something that isn't there.

TheJetsBlow likes this.
  13. coalesce

coalesce Dolphin Fan since 1974

As long as that one player is part octopus and can play four positions at once.