Jeff Ireland's Legacy Still Hindering 2019 Dolphins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jeff Ireland's Legacy Still Hindering 2019 Dolphins

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
images

Former Miami Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland is currently one of the more well respected executives in NFL circles without the title of “general manager”. Unfortunately for Miami, Ireland’s respect comes with some trial and error — at the Dolphins’ expense. And the mistakes of Jeff Ireland’s tenure with the Dolphins still loom large over the team to this day — in large part because the Dolphins have had to reach into free agency extensively in their efforts to stay competitive with a roster that did not draft well in the early portions of the decade.

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/10/jeff-irelands-legacy-still-hindering-2019-dolphins/

I dont disagree with the premise of the article but it’s kind of funny that they list Christine Michael as one of the Seahawks better picks. Ireland sucked for us... not sure how highly respected he currently is either ...

Dennis Hickey set up the 2016 draft, pretty much like next years by jettisoning veteran players via trade. Big big issue for the Dolphins over the past 25 plus years is churning coaches who in turn churn the rosters and players here have had a small window to develop.

We've hired and fired a coaching staff since Jeff. We went in another direction with Gase and now an entirely different one with Flores.
Die hard fans are more focused on the rooks, Rosen, Minkah, Drake, Howard, on and on and on much more than Jeff Ireland

Young coaches and GM’s are going to make mistakes. Of course the “Picks and Money” year was catastrophic but in Ireland’s defense that was an epic bad draft class league wide. Can’t excuse the FA blunders but wasn’t Philbin behind a lot of that and wasn’t Ross in win now mode? Kind of a perfect storm.

He didn't damage the future of this organization nearly as much as Tannenbaum did by signing guys to the ridiculous contracts he handed out.

I'm surprised that he even has a job. How does this guy keep fooling people that he has ability at drafting football players. Riding Parcell's coattails into Miami is one thing but to keep getting high paying gigs with good teams amazes me. I'm very impressed by his agent.

One man's trash...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-extend-assistant-g-m-jeff-irelands-contract/

I also like how the article neglects to point out Lamar Miller in the 4th (after OV in the 3rd) and Rishard Matthews in the 7th lmao.

2012 was an excellent draft class, and outside of Jordan ALL of his first round picks were solid, even though he should have taken Earl over Koa/Odrick (both solid) he wasn't the only one that missed on Earl.

The Eagles drafted f****** Danny Watkins and Marcus Smith in the first round but somehow they are the shinning example of great drafting because Cox (traded up a few spots for, congrats), Johnson and Ertz fell into their laps and Nick Foles came back from the dead to outplay TB12 lol.

Last edited:
What bothered me most about Ireland was
he acted like an entitled punk -- as if he had
actually "earned" his position as opposed to
the fact it was handed to him -- and he SUCKED!

Beyond that -- he has a history of going behind peoples
backs and... just being classless (see the Harbaugh interview).

Back
Top Bottom