Jeff Ireland's Legacy Still Hindering 2019 Dolphins | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jeff Ireland's Legacy Still Hindering 2019 Dolphins

I'm surprised that he even has a job. How does this guy keep fooling people that he has ability at drafting football players. Riding Parcell's coattails into Miami is one thing but to keep getting high paying gigs with good teams amazes me. I'm very impressed by his agent.

He was credited (by his own organization, the Saints) as being the mastermind behind their two rookie studs, Kamara and Lattimore. That was one of the all time great drafts for that team, based on 3 years of production alone.

He had a REAL keen eye for mid to late round talent. Look at his picks. He was always pretty damn decent - he just was a complete trash at everything else related to being a GM.

He was credited (by his own organization, the Saints) as being the mastermind behind their two rookie studs, Kamara and Lattimore. That was one of the all time great drafts for that team, based on 3 years of production alone.

He had a REAL keen eye for mid to late round talent. Look at his picks. He was always pretty damn decent - he just was a complete trash at everything else related to being a GM.

I recall reading Sean Payton was the one that really wanted Kamara.

One man's trash...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-extend-assistant-g-m-jeff-irelands-contract/

I also like how the article neglects to point out Lamar Miller in the 4th (after OV in the 3rd) and Rishard Matthews in the 7th lmao.

2012 was an excellent draft class, and outside of Jordan ALL of his first round picks were solid, even though he should have taken Earl over Koa/Odrick (both solid) he wasn't the only one that missed on Earl.

The Eagles drafted f****** Danny Watkins and Marcus Smith in the first round but somehow they are the shinning example of great drafting because Cox (traded up a few spots for, congrats), Johnson and Ertz fell into their laps and Nick Foles came back from the dead to outplay TB12 lol.

That 2013 draft class and off season was the end of the line.

He went all in that off-season and went bankrupt.

I don't blame Ireland for the state of the team now, but that 2013 off season did set us back.

That 2013 draft class and off season was the end of the line.

He went all in that off-season and went bankrupt.

I don't blame Ireland for the state of the team now, but that 2013 off season did set us back.

And ironically, he wasn't even fired for the 2013 draft/off-season which would have made some sense.

He was fired because he pissed off Ross by talking s*** about his boy Queasy (the one Ross chose when it should have been Ireland's decision) after ANOTHER end of season meltdown (pathetic coaching) to Dawn who went and snitched on him to the boss, most likely for her own personal gain, but that's life I guess.

Most GM's have a bad draft class eventually, but sometimes they are given an opportunity to learn from them, and sometimes their abrasive personality gets them fired because the owner can't handle the truth which was that Queasy never should have been hired in the first place.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com...thews-josh-huff-marcus-smith-taylor-hart-cuts

Ireland is doing what he does best now, which is scouting collegiate talent at a high level, people forget or don't know he had a lot to do with Dallas selecting Demarcus Ware and I'm sure a few other hits as well (which is why Parcells was fond of him).

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-orlea...ireland-will-benefit-from-return-to-his-roots

The league is noticing, and he will get his opportunity as a GM again.

Last edited:
And ironically, he wasn't even fired for the 2013 draft/off-season which would have made some sense.

He was fired because he pissed off Ross by talking s*** about his boy Queasy (the one Ross chose when it should have been Ireland's decision) after ANOTHER end of season meltdown (pathetic coaching) to Dawn who went and snitched on him to the boss, most likely for her own personal gain, but that's life I guess.

Most GM's have a bad draft class eventually, but sometimes they are given an opportunity to learn from them, and sometimes their abrasive personality gets them fired because the owner can't handle the truth which was that Queasy never should have been hired in the first place.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com...thews-josh-huff-marcus-smith-taylor-hart-cuts

Ireland is doing what he does best now, which is scouting collegiate talent at a high level, people forget or don't know he had a lot to do with Dallas selecting Demarcus Ware and I'm sure a few other hits as well (which is why Parcells was fond of him).

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-orlea...ireland-will-benefit-from-return-to-his-roots

The league is noticing, and he will get his opportunity as a GM again.

The situation with Philbin and Ireland was toxic and Ross's only choices were to clear house or get rid of Ireland. Had he fired Philbin that would of been the second coach given his papers with Ireland as the gm, no coach with options would want to follow that. It sounds like he's doing better in New Orleans, but 2013 Jeff Ireland had to get canned and he deserved it.

...so he's a classic (and classless) Peter Principle dude.

Shocking.

Agreed with the thread title. One of his lieutenants now runs the team entirely. Sad!

Think the biggest issue with Ireland was the disconnect between the scouts and GM, against the coaching staff. If you have constant coach turnover where coaches want different things and Ireland and the scouts don't listen to the coaches it was never going to work. Hickey's first step was to find out what the coaches want, such a basic question.

I can’t do this revisionist history thing here. The guy sucked and was a train wreck here. Don’t forget the Dez Bryant interview either.

We got lots of 3’s and 4’s, we need some 1’s and 2’s. :rolleyes:

That's it. The Dolphins have lacked great players for so long I'm almost beyond caring. It's like a given for this franchise.

Ireland relied too much on his own eyes and scouting technique and ignored the big picture. In essence, he tried to get too cute. When you've got a high pick then make darn sure it is someone who has always stood out among his peers. If you do it the other way -- by projecting a late bloomer into that spot -- it may feel extra special satisfying when it pans out, but you are needlessly subjecting yourself to far greater risk, and the greatest risk of all is that the player merely settles into the same territory he has always occupied. You want him to be great. He can't even imagine being great, or fathom any reason to believe he should be great.

I will never understand how anyone could look into Dion Jordan's eyes and get excited at the prospect of drafting him. That film room should have had portrait sized photos of Dion Jordan's facial expressions hanging from every wall. Don't allow yourself to look at one play on tape without spending equal time glancing at those snoozing eyes.

I had some very demanding bosses in Las Vegas, and especially the guy from the stats office. Consequently I have adopted a very simple method for picking someone for any project like roofer or car repair...whatever. I instantly evaluate the guy and ask myself...Could I present this guy to my old boss in Las Vegas and confidently tell him that he is sharp and reliable, that he may not have any related background but he is so top notch he'll pick it up quickly anyway, and really help us?

It is amazing how well that works. If I have people for gutter installation and one seems very nice but is taking forever to measure everything, and running one possibility after another by me in terms of downspouts, etc. that is someone who I would never introduce to that boss. If you're taking that long it means you are a late blooming plodding stiff, and not someone ultra sharp who can pick it up instantly. I want the guy who can take a quick look and immediately tell me what I need.

The guy who is taking forever is like the general managers who think they have to go back and watch every single play from a guy's college career. At that point you are simply trying to talk yourself into something that isn't there.

Back
Top Bottom