Jeremy Roenicks comments about the NHL deal | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jeremy Roenicks comments about the NHL deal

Martel

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
What was that fool thinking? He started it off cool and sounded kinda like he was conceding that the players may have made a mistake and sort of apologizing. Then it took a weird turn. Saying that people who thought the players were spoiled can "kiss his ***" and that "they are just jealous" and if you think that "don't ever watch hockey again because we don't want you in the stadium". He was also complaining that he gave up 7-8 million bucks, for this cause. Cry me a river :cry:

you're shocked he'd say something like this? Roenick always says stuff before he thinks....

I've been a Philadelphia Flyers fan since they won back to back Stanley Cups in 1974, 1975, and I have always liked Jeremy but even I had to do a double take from hearing him telling the fans to kiss his ***.....I tried to listen to the entire interview and he sounds like he is bitter over the fact that the NHL players union rejected an offer from the owners a year ago, and now they have had to accept a much cheaper offer......as for the 7 mill Roenick says he has spent of his own money....well boo hoo....maybe you wont be able to make the down payment on the new Ferrari this year. :lol:

Sounds like the kind of PR the NHL needs after basically self-destructing their league. Jeremy Roenick making 7+mill a year is what the whole lockout was about. No hockey player makes enough money for a team to justify that kind of contract. The owners deserve as much of the blame as the players, no one can blame a player for asking for a ton of money, if the owners had any commonsense they would have not paid these guys those contracts.
After missing a season, Roenick blasts the fans for being upset? This guy is so out of touch with reality. Something tells me he needs to have to spend half of his week's pay to take his kids to see someone like him, then turnaround and have that same player call him an ahole. Someone please pimpslap this man if he opens his mouth again.
Dan Patrick had a good interview with him, you could tell that Dan wasn't buying any of this phoney's crap. No one should, the league should fine him a million dollars for talking about fans like that. They will fine you for blasting the refs but telling fans they are pieces of crap and to not come to the stadium isnt worthy of a fine.
Well I never really like hockey all that much, this is yet another reason to not care about the NHL.

I would not care if the NHL never played again.

:fire: This has me absolutely furious.
I'm a huge NHL fan and I've always loved JR (even though his Flyers have had the upper hand on my Leafs 'recently') because he usually hits the nail on the head with his comments. Very outspoken but he backs up his talk on the ice. Unfortunately JR has a very short fuse on the ice and in life.
Anyways, the media always looking for a story, decided they'd put out a clip of JR's reply to a stupid question asked by a journalist during a PC. The previous 15 minutes he was ranting about how the NHL needed the fans because essentially they were the game. (JR has always done everything for the fans, he's signed autographs, will talk to you in th street etc...)
And what does the mass media do, of course, find the 15 seconds when JR went crazy which essentially portrays him as a clown who doesn't care about the fans and put it out there for fans to see on Sportscenter.
Unfortunately that's the media for you, they'll take a sentence and put it into another context or anything else that will make some 'news'.

....yea its the media's fault....cmon the guy was an idiot.

First of all, an athlete can never, ever, ever, ever tell the fans to kiss any part of his body. Second of all, it's even worse to tell them not to come back and pay his checks. When they come back, they're gonna give away lollipops to get people to come to their games.

However, this might have been a little reverse psychology. This is the first attention, albeit negative, that the NHL has gotten in a long time. Even when the season was cancelled no one cared. Now, though, hockey is suddenly popping up on TV, radio, and message boards like this one. Now JR can come back and retract his statement and invite the fans back, and maybe it could help.

But I'm overanalyzing this. In all likelihood, JR's passion got the best of him and he made a boneheaded move. Realistically, the NHL is no more than the AFL right now and will take a lot to get back to its previous level. The devoted hockey fans in each town will go back to their game, but the league will need to undergo some fan-friendly changes to get this thing back to somewhat normal.

RWhitney014 said:
First of all, an athlete can never, ever, ever, ever tell the fans to kiss any part of his body.

Tyson, Kobe and Vick can attest to this. :lol:

Seriously though, what a boneheaded thing to say. Especially when the NHL needs as much help as it can get with attracting fans in the U.S. What a doofus :shakeno:

did ya'all watch his SC interview? it clarifies his comments at the golf tourney

JR started to backpeddle yesterday and said he was misquoted and what he said was taking out of the context...he said he loved the fans and hope they will be back... he just said that the ones who said NHL players are spoiled dont know what they are talking about. I bet Gary Bettman told him to retract what he said....OR ELSE. :D

Roman529 said:
JR started to backpeddle yesterday and said he was misquoted and what he said was taking out of the context...he said he loved the fans and hope they will be back... he just said that the ones who said NHL players are spoiled dont know what they are talking about. I bet Gary Bettman told him to retract what he said....OR ELSE. :D

It shouldn't take anyone to retract what he said. He really screwed up.

RWhitney014 said:
He really screwed up.

He certainly did. That's the last thing the NHL needs, one of their better known players tell people to kiss his *** and stay away from hockey. He should have known by now that his comments would be manipulated by the media. On TSN up here in Canada, they cut his interview so that you'd only hear him telling the fair-weather fans to kiss his *** and that they don't need them. JR should have known better than to feed the story-starved media anything as big as this.

Exactly what a league on life support needs... one of it's stars to tell people to kiss his ***. :shakeno:

I don't believe that JR meant to say all fans can kiss his @$$, and I believe his retraction. But what JR forgot was that the NHL can't survive without the casual, fair-weather fans that he was lambasting. The NHL USED to cater to the smallest, but most loyal, audience of the four major sports. But greed and stupid decisions caused ticket prices and the cost of attending a game to skyrocket, thus pricing a lot of those diehards out of the seats in favor of a more wealthy, but more fickle corporate audience. Bill Simmons likened this to a successful local dive bar converting into some upscale joint with $10 martinis. The NHL turned its back on the loyal, blue-collar fan long ago, and most of those guys (at least in the United States) have turned to other sports or pseudo-sports. It's no coincidence that the NHL started jacking up prices in the early-90s and NASCAR and pro wrestling started to gain a larger audience shortly after that.

As the NHL has sown, so shall they reap. When they come back, most fans outside Canada and a few isolated enclaves here (Detroit, Minneapolis) aren't going to give a crap. In the big scheme of things, Roenick's comments are irrelevant; the NHL has already slit its own throat. I'm betting that when the league does come back, we'll see at least half a dozen franchises fold within five years. Pittsburgh will be first and it will go from there.

EDIT: I should add that I used to be a diehard Bruins fan. I was a Bruins fan before anyone but the Phins. Went to as many games in Buffalo as I could, watched the B's on TV every time they were on, worshipped Raymond Bourque on a level with St. Dan (even took Raymond as my confirmation name). And now I could care less about the NHL. If *I* don't care about the NHL anymore, what do you think the average Nashville Predators fan thinks?

Back
Top Bottom