Jerry Jeudy declares | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jerry Jeudy declares

Being bad in a particular area doesn't alter the value of a position. If you need to spend premium resources to field a capable RB, you're starting from behind.

First off I respect your knowledge and your posts, big fan. But when some teams use a top 5 pick on a RB like Barkley or Elliott I get it but this would be our 3rd and more likely our 4th pick in this draft. Are you saying a WR is more important position than RB? A longevity thing I could understand that. A RB that can run, block and catch passes trumps a WR in my mind. I can’t comment on this offense since I don’t know what direction we are going in.

First off I respect your knowledge and your posts, big fan. But when some teams use a top 5 pick on a RB like Barkley or Elliott I get it but this would be our 3rd and more likely our 4th pick in this draft. Are you saying a WR is more important position than RB? A longevity thing I could understand that. A RB that can run, block and catch passes trumps a WR in my mind. I can’t comment on this offense since I don’t know what direction we are going in.

I appreciate it, and I respect your opinion, as well.

WR's are involved in higher-leverage plays and plays that translate to points. There are different tiers of RB, but the difference to team success between the great and pretty good is relatively small. Henry was brilliant vs NE, and Tennessee scored 14 points on offense. Not a similar running style, but few guys chew up grass the way Henry does - almost reminds me of Eric Dickerson, not that they have similar running styles.

The more reliable options you give your QB, the more real options he has on every play, and more matchups to exploit/players the D has to account for. You put Lamb, Jeudy, or even Higgins in the slot, with the ability to move outside and start outside in 2-WR sets, and the QB has a lot of win in front of him. Parker, Year-3 Gesicki, Lamb/Jeudy/Higgins, and Williams with a RB in Round 3 is a lot more attractive to me than any of the RB's in the 1st and Isaiah Hodgins (who I like) in the 3rd.

If Miami wanted to spend its 1b and 1c on OL and targeted WR in the 2nd, I'd understand it. From the looks of it, some of my favorites could fall. So, if Miami misses out on the Big 3, they might be able to draft their whole OL before they look at WR, but the passing game is the most important area to excel, and after QB, WR is the next most important piece in a great passing game - not counting guys like Gronk, Kittle, or even Kelce. 2020 is a very strong group - probably the best since 2014. For a team essentially building from scratch, you can't ignore that kind of talent.

But, on the most basic level, you don't bypass a high-value position like WR for a low-value position like RB just because you're especially bad at RB.

If you're already a great team and drafting a RB in the late 1st, I'd probably still find better ways for you to spend that pick, but it'd make some sense.

Did you see the graphic about teams that run the ball in tonight's game?

I didn't check to see if it was 100% accurate, but they pointed out that the 4 leading passing teams were all out of the playoffs while the 4 leading rushing teams... were not.

Now, I don't want to get into a 'which position is more important' debate (because I'd say line...LOL), but you have to have some sort of rushing attack. So, I'm thinking that you have to go into the draft with a list of 4 or 5 guys that you like and then let them fall as far as possible before you strike.

I didn't check to see if it was 100% accurate, but they pointed out that the 4 leading passing teams were all out of the playoffs while the 4 leading rushing teams... were not.

Now, I don't want to get into a 'which position is more important' debate (because I'd say line...LOL), but you have to have some sort of rushing attack. So, I'm thinking that you have to go into the draft with a list of 4 or 5 guys that you like and then let them fall as far as possible before you strike.

Teams run the ball more when they're ahead and pass the ball more when they're behind. The playcalling/men in the box and OL are significantly more important to a team's rushing success than the RB.

WR is more important than RB. There is no debate.

Teams run the ball more when they're ahead and pass the ball more when they're behind. The playcalling/men in the box and OL are significantly more important to a team's rushing success than the RB.

WR is more important than RB. There is no debate.

Take look at salaries. Tells the story.
Also I believe the 5th year option more relevant with a WR as opposed to RB.

I would have hard time giving a big contract to a Year 5 RB. Give me the comp pick and save the $$. Draft another one.

Something to keep in mind is, when talking about a good passing attack in this type of conversation, it is usually implied that we are talking about effeciency, not totals.

Rating(not QBR), Y/A, AY/A are all measures of effeciency... Fro example, here's the top 10 teams in passing rating:

NO, Balt, Ten, Sea, KC, Min, SF, Oak, Dal, Hou.

Top 7 all in the playoffs and only Oak and Dal missing...

You don't want WR's in the 1st but would take a RB in the late 1st? I don't understand.

I am saying I like Etienne enough to override my policy of not drafting WR/RB high.

I may be overrating him of course, but I think he is going to be great in a Kamara type role, a real weapon.

Back
Top Bottom