Jerry Schuplunski is going to NY | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jerry Schuplunski is going to NY

Off the topic question: How does one get admin or moderator status in here? Money? or Sexual favors? I kid i kid.....:munch:

It's more of a punishment for being a loud-mouthed butt head. Our sentence is having to deal with all of the rest of the loud-mouthed butt heads.

It boggles my mind that you can’t see the talent difference in the two teams

It boggles my mind that even with the talent disparity you think it’s a Herculean effort to win 5 games, 2 of which were vs other terrible teams.

Don’t get me wrong, it was an accomplishment, but you all make it sound like he brought this talent bereft team to the playoffs.

And without a savvy vet QB like Fitz in there, they likely have only 2 wins.

People still don’t recognize that a competent QB can be responsible for a few extra wins a year, regardless of the roster. In time, that sorts itself out.

It was the case for Sparano and will be the case for Flores.

Somethings off with Flores. We all swept it under the rug and I don’t remember it being talked about much, but that whole situation w stills was insanely immature. Why would he intentionally try to get under anyone’s skin like that specially one of your guys.

A possible reason the members of the coaching staff are in demand is because the staff outperformed coaching up marginal talent. That is a high demand skill! Given this possibility, I do not understand how you can be so confident that something is wrong. Good coaching staffs get raided every year.

I think he was making a joke, and it wasn’t mean spirited at all. I also think it was kind of funny.
If that’s the case it would be pretty good humor. The floors does not come across as the joking around type of guy

It boggles my mind that even with the talent disparity you think it’s a Herculean effort to win 5 games, 2 of which were vs other terrible teams.

Don’t get me wrong, it was an accomplishment, but you all make it sound like he brought this talent bereft team to the playoffs.

And without a savvy vet QB like Fitz in there, they likely have only 2 wins.

People still don’t recognize that a competent QB can be responsible for a few extra wins a year, regardless of the roster. In time, that sorts itself out.

It was the case for Sparano and will be the case for Flores.
When you get a chance can you show me where I said it was Herculean, or that he’s some sort of super coach. Because I haven’t made a comment either way about his coaching. I just made a comment on a blind argument.

Obviously he wasn’t happy with his defense either since he just let his DC walk.

Sort of a different situation IMO. It's Flo's defense and they are not changing the scheme. I also think Graham wanted to go back to NY. He's from the NE and coached for NY prior. If he asked the coach to let him go, why refuse? Of course this is all from a bit of speculation.

I have no faith in Gailey being the missing link as this teams savior on offense. Maybe we'll bring in some more high school coaches , who knows.

I don't either. As bad as we were on offense in terms of talent and the slow start, I actually liked the scheme.

When you get a chance can you show me where I said it was Herculean, or that he’s some sort of super coach. Because I haven’t made a comment either way about his coaching. I just made a comment on a blind argument.

How is it a blind argument?

You are the one comparing the talent of the two rosters.

It's a given Sparano had more talent on his roster, but that's why you adjust the results. Was the talent on his roster really worth 11 wins? The expectations for that squad was somewhere between 4 and 6 wins. That's a +5 to +7 differential.

Here are some samplings on expectations at the time:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/preview08/team?team=mia (prediction: last place in AFCE)
https://www.si.com/more-sports/2008/08/29/predictions (Don Banks 2008 prediction: 5-11)
https://walterfootball.com/offseason2008playoffs.php (prediction: 2-14)
bleacherreport.com/articles/53121-nfl-2008-preview-and-playoff-predictions (prediction: last place in AFCE)

The expectations for Flores' talent purged roster was anywhere from 0 to 3 wins. That's a +2 to +5 differential.

You have to account for competent QB play being mostly responsible for a win or two, as was the case for Sparano and Flores. Eventually, the team will regress to the mean.

I really can't understand how people can look at the two and make the claim that Flores did a better job. One thing that no one is factoring in is the pressure that builds when a team is pursuing a playoff berth. Sparano's teams kept winning under that pressure. Flores' teams never even had to deal with that kind of pressure because they were out of the race almost from the beginning, especially by the time they actually started winning games.

EDIT:

Funny thing is just looking back at some projections from the beginning of the season, some places like ESPN even projected them with around 5 wins:

Last edited:
I quoted you as an example of something that's being said by many others, this post isnt directed at you in specific.

While I agree there are alot of positive signs in Flores 1st season, the success part has yet to come. 5-11 is not success, sure you can take some positives to build around but I wouldnt call it success. 3 of those 5 wins were against very bad teams(one of which was actively trying to lose), while the other 2 were impressive. They also lost vs the Redskins.

Im not saying I think Flores is not good, but he's far from out of the woods yet so I can see how this massive staff change could at least make people nervous...

The question is what constitutes "success." Those expecting 0-16 can see 5 wins, hints of a quality organization, and a number of players hitting potential as success. I see short term success as a playoff spot.
But, that's history. Now fans want to see year 2

The Dolphins finished the season 5-4.... while carrying (by far) the most dead money this year in the league, with the youngest roster in the NFL, with 17 guys ending the season on IR, while setting the NFL record for most numbers of players used by a team. All the while, positioning the Dolphins with 5 first round picks in the next 2 seasons, and 4 second round picks, and over $100million to spend in the upcoming FA.

Say what you want about the 2019 Dolphins, the Grier Flores combination has been interesting to watch thus far. Looking forward to the Draft and FA, and Year 2 to see where this goes.

Somethings off with Flores. We all swept it under the rug and I don’t remember it being talked about much, but that whole situation w stills was insanely immature. Why would he intentionally try to get under anyone’s skin like that specially one of your guys.
I read that totally differently:

Flores's first and most important allegiance is to the owner who hired and pays him. Ross was obviously fine with Stills' in good conscience protests but had to be annoyed that the guy he made a multi millionaire was calling him out and taking him to task publicly for having the audacity to have a different political philosophy than him!

What if Flores had privately asked the team to keep criticisms of the owner private and Stills told him "F You?" Between the most important tie that binds and Stills putting him in the crossfire, I'd be plenty pissed also if I were Flores!

Back
Top Bottom