Jesse Davis article | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jesse Davis article

Cutting him makes zero sense, for a couple reasons.

As pointed out in the article, the cap savings would be minimal, and he can play all over the line whenever needed, with confidence that it will not be a disaster.
unless he doesn't grade out appropriately against the newcomers on the OL

unless he doesn't grade out appropriately against the newcomers on the OL
I agree, in theory, but none of those guys are battle tested at 4 positions.

Not saying impossible, but unlikely.

Now, that's a completely different arguement, than if Flo feels he had depth covered with other players, so no gaurentee he makes the roster. For all I know, Dieter may be capable of multiple positions too.

I'd say that Davis is as close to a lock as you can get for the Dolphins.
He may be the best 6th man in the league and he's better than a fair number of the starting Right Tackles/Guards in the league.
Star? No.
But how many FH posters have suggested that you dont need an all-pro at every position across a line? And the same people have also said that one poor lineman can destroy a line led by 3 pro bowlers...
I realize that most of them said this in an effort to justify not drafting linemen, but now that we have a guy who uniquely meets what these posters have described (solid and available), why would we release/trade the guy? To get approximately 2.5m in cap space??? That's what a solid special team guy gets. I think that is called penny wise, pound foolish.

On one hand I get the need for depth, it’s inevitable we will need more than 5 OL. That’s a luxury few teams ever have on their bench.

On the other hand he’s not a good player and seeing him on the field makes me want to vomit.

I’m ok with him being on the roster for one more year. In a perfect world he never play a down.

Last edited:
He might be the highest paid lineman on the team but that's because the others are so young. he really doesn't make that much compared to guys on other teams. He's always ready to play and he's a team leader and after letting go of two team captains I'd keep this one.

Although I don't ever want Davis starting for us, he is the perfect 6th man. That is the position he can shine in and make an honest living. He plays multiple positions, is a team leading vet and understands his place on the team. I want him anchoring our bench guys.

Your thoughts. Mine are, don't release him. We need all the solid lineman we can muster.
3.8 Million on the cap for a solid swing OL that can start when needed. Please the author of the article is a muppet, cutting him is not even a consideration.

Can you replace him for that? A guy that can play 4 positions?

Questionable IMO.
Possibly. Or you might be able to get a couple of guys that can do it for less. Or maybe he gets beat out by Deiter or some other guy we haven't even heard of. But that's all beside the point. My point was that his cap hit isn't "minimal". He is in fact our highest paid OL and if all goes well he won't play. It is not outlandish to think that they may find another way to allocate their cap that has a greater impact. I'm not even saying he should be cut. I am saying that calling his cap cost minimal is clearly inaccurate.

Possibly. Or you might be able to get a couple of guys that can do it for less. Or maybe he gets beat out by Deiter or some other guy we haven't even heard of. But that's all beside the point. My point was that his cap hit isn't "minimal". He is in fact our highest paid OL and if all goes well he won't play. It is not outlandish to think that they may find another way to allocate their cap that has a greater impact. I'm not even saying he should be cut. I am saying that calling his cap cost minimal is clearly inaccurate.
Releasing Jesse Davis would save 2,585,000, so yes... this is minimal. Laughable even...

We simply disagree there, I guess.

He makes the most because he's the only guy on the roster worth a damn that isn't on a rookie contract. Besides that, in reality, he isn't close to having the biggest cap #. Look at AJ's contract. Yeah, his yearly cash is low, but the cap hit is like 9.5 million.

Back
Top Bottom