Jesse Davis article | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jesse Davis article

Can you replace him for that? A guy that can play 4 positions?

Questionable IMO.
Doubtful

Anyone wanting to dump Jesse Davis is overstating the caliber of this team, and somehow ignoring that a guy like Davis will be content with similar relative salary level for years. The younger guys will want to be paid one by one. As PFF emphasized leading up to the draft, these days the optimum range for an offensive line is average to good. Anything beyond that is diminishing returns. Jesse Davis is seemingly the ideal swing guy to maintain average to good level.

Possibly. Or you might be able to get a couple of guys that can do it for less. Or maybe he gets beat out by Deiter or some other guy we haven't even heard of. But that's all beside the point. My point was that his cap hit isn't "minimal". He is in fact our highest paid OL and if all goes well he won't play. It is not outlandish to think that they may find another way to allocate their cap that has a greater impact. I'm not even saying he should be cut. I am saying that calling his cap cost minimal is clearly inaccurate.

I'm struggling with that. Only a finite # of players on the roster. Replacing 1 with 2, even with saving money, means another player is cut. Davis is cheap for his value.

I'm struggling with that. Only a finite # of players on the roster. Replacing 1 with 2, even with saving money, means another player is cut. Davis is cheap for his value.
If he gets beat out for the top back up slot, then he will be replaced with the cheaper option. I'm not saying it will happen or that I'm hoping for it. But anybody who doesn't think it's possible hasn't been paying attention.

If he gets beat out for the top back up slot, then he will be replaced with the cheaper option. I'm not saying it will happen or that I'm hoping for it. But anybody who doesn't think it's possible hasn't been paying attention.

I am saying that I hope it happens. LOUDLY.

I get the value of experience but ability is still critical.

Don't disagree, but trying to replace Davis with two guys, means a 2nd guy HAS to be cut. That, IMO, would be problematic

Its minimal when you are not the one writing the check
In perspective it is minimal. But insignificant is probably the better word to use. The savings would be insignificant because we won’t find a better value and the savings aren’t restricting our roster at the moment. So it’s insignificant.

Its minimal when you are not the one writing the check
In the context of the salary cap requirements, and the limited number of roster spots, writing the check is irrelevant.

His contract $ amount is a non starter. If you tell me we can get a better player cheaper, that's one thing but that isn't likely, and doesn't seem to be your arguement.

What is your real issue with Davis? If it's just the money, the arguement doesn't hold up.

Stupid article. The author says we shouldn't cut Jesse Davis, but the author was the only one who ever suggested cutting him. The guy is just trying to put out articles to put out articles.

There's not a single other person, coach, or Fin Heaven poster that even for a second considered cutting Davis. It makes zero sense.

Stupid article. The author says we shouldn't cut Jesse Davis, but the author was the only one who ever suggested cutting him. The guy is just trying to put out articles to put out articles.

There's not a single other person, coach, or Fin Heaven poster that even for a second considered cutting Davis. It makes zero sense.
That isn't true, period.

Many have suggested cutting Davis.

I'm not one of them, but that statement is false.

Davis was also voted team captain by his peers. It’s not just versatility, but also experience, leadership, and helping the new guys learn. Davis stays.

Back
Top Bottom