Jets Cheating too? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jets Cheating too?

Namath wasnt a star. By today's standards, he was a 3rd rate QB. Try again. You call Namath a star but pooh-pooh Drew Brees (Your logic not mine).

Sure the Saints was as important if not more. It brought hope to an entire region, not just one media centric ****hole that has to share its stadium with another team.

We can argue this forever....but sorry, you won't change my view of it.

I think it's safe to end this discussion, do some research on the times then get back to me.

The tainted SB win* may have seemed so at the time, but its importance actually was usurped and then some by the game played Jan 14, 1973 Those results established a high watermark not achieved previously or since while plenty of teams have gone into the POs and lasted thru 2 games.

Its all opinion anyway. Did it create a huge buzz and did it bring alot of excitment to the NFL? Sure. But judging the importance of games can be highly arbitrary. Was it more important than the first Monday Night Game which brought a decades long tradition to the NFL? Was it more important than games that actually caused the NFL rules to change like the pats raiders game? Looking at it from a different perspective, was it more important than the pats jets game in which Bledsoe got injured. Say what you want, that game led to the emergence of a pats run which included 3 super bowls, a hall of fame qb and a 16-0 season.

Eh, as i said its all opinion anyway not just in the game itself but how we arbitrarily define what constitutes "importance" in a game

Yes it was more important than all of those games b/c this was the beginning. if SB III doesn't happen does the NFL become the most popular sport? We may not see MN football if not for SB III and they started that asking for Namath and the Jets b/c of how big Namath was at the time. As far as the Bledsoe game, Brady was going to be starting sooner than later anyway. BB's job was on the line and the rumblings had begun before that game. Myabe it pushes the dynasty back a year but Brady would have been starting soon. You cannot really compare games of TV at the height of popularity to what the game was back then and what SB III meant to the future of the game.

Namath wasnt a star. By today's standards, he was a 3rd rate QB. Try again. You call Namath a star but pooh-pooh Drew Brees (Your logic not mine).

Sure the Saints was as important if not more. It brought hope to an entire region, not just one media centric ****hole that has to share its stadium with another team.

We can argue this forever....but sorry, you won't change my view of it.

eh. Namaths stardom transcended football. He was perceived more as a movie star than football player. If you ask the average, forgive the stereotype, house wife who drew brees is im guessing most would have no idea. Back than ask who Joe Namath was and everybody knew who he was, football fan or not. He was a rock star. i dont think he was a great quarterback but the league really hasnt had a player that transcended football in terms of popularity since him.

Last edited by a moderator:
The tainted SB win* may have seemed so at the time, but its importance actually was usurped and then some by the game played Jan 14, 1973 Those results established a high watermark not achieved previously or since 0while plenty of teams have gone into the POs and lasted thru 2 games.

It's great the '72 phins played the weakest sched of any SB champ and won all their games(do we use an * b/c they only played 14 reg season games?) but that game is more known for the follies of a foreign born soccer playing kicker than for what Miami actually accomplished.

If it didnt include New York and the incredible Media-overhype, it wouldn't be any more relevant than any other SB.

I suggest that SB's such as the Saints finally winning one after so many years of suckedness pales it in comparison. That one, as well as many others like it, proved that any given team on any given Sunday.
I would also like to point out a Superbowl that saw a team go undefeated for the first time ever..and only is much more relevant.

You can't be serious???? The Saints finally winning a Super Bowl is much more relevant than the Jets win???

The Jets win legitimized the entire NFL-AFL merger.

In terms of where the NFL is today, there was no bigger win by any team than when the Jets beat the Colts.

You won't get the significance from looking at the stat sheet. Joe was an icon back then and his mouth helped create excitement for that game then delivering on his guarantee. he helped make the SB an important event and he and his team(followd up by KC whipping Minny the next year) legitimized the AFL. he;'s in the Hall more b/c of what he meant off the field than what he did on the field.

Drunken Joe meant a lot to the Fans in New York and to the panty hose industry...that's about it.

Regarding the legacy argument, the Jets were 1 and done in 1969...never been back to the SB.

The Fins...as you know...won 2 out of 3 in the early seventies(not to mention the ONLY undefeated season). Then followed that up with two SB appearances in the 80's. We won't even get into the number of times that the Fins played in the Championship games and lost...the high water mark for your poor Jets. You are making yourself out to the be a bigger fool coming in here talking this nonsense.

What is wrong with you...someone steal your bicycle or something?

It's great the '72 phins played the weakest sched of any SB champ and won all their games(do we use an * b/c they only played 14 reg season games?) but that game is more known for the follies of a foreign born soccer playing kicker than for what Miami actually accomplished.

there was more interest and drama in the previous GB KC SB game where FreddyThe Hammer Williamson was flapping his gums but ended up being carried off the field than in another effeminate fur coat wearing QB whose mouth was bigger than his abilities a day before the game talking seemingly out of his azz. Believe me, the SB by game 2 was well along to being the institution it is today.

PS: has there ever been a legitimate jest roster player aside from Maynard who deserved HOF recognition?

That is true BUT it is the most important game in the history of pro football.

This is not the most important game in NFL history. Only in true Jets fashion would someone so boastfully make that claim. It's like saying NY is the most important state in the union, it just isn't, it is one state that makes up the union.

One team every season has had the same chance and SOS since 72 and prior to 72 and haven't achieved the same feat. Not even Tom Brady managed to pull it off with an all-star laden offensive roster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here we are debating the super bowl when the thread is about the Jets cheating ways...well played NYJUCT
Super Bowl #1 was the turning point, the Jets SB was a great game and it lead to Shula arriving in Miami, but it is not #1...probably in the top 5 though...

Drunken Joe meant a lot to the Fans in New York and to the panty hose industry...that's about it.

Regarding the legacy argument, the Jets were 1 and done in 1969...never been back to the SB.

The Fins...as you know...won 2 out of 3 in the early seventies(not to mention the ONLY undefeated season). Then followed that up with two SB appearances in the 80's. We won't even get into the number of times that the Fins played in the Championship games and lost...the high water mark for your poor Jets. You are making yourself out to the be a bigger fool coming in here talking this nonsense.

What is wrong with you...someone steal your bicycle or something?

Joe was an icon, bigger than any dolphin player ever inlcuding Mr. Marino(even though Dan was a much better player)

The phins won 2 straight and haven't won one since and only have 1 more SB title than we do.

You haven't been to a title game in 19 years, you haven't won a playoff game in 11. Please stop talking, we know Miami was great in the 70s but that was a long time ago(and around the same time as when the Jets won).

there was more interest and drama in the previous GB KC SB game where FreddyThe Hammer Williamson was flapping his gums but ended up being carried off the field than in another effeminate fur coat wearing QB whose mouth was bigger than his abilities a day before the game talking seemingly out of his azz. Believe me, the SB by game 2 was well along to being the institution it is today.

PS: has there ever been a legitimate jest roster player aside from Maynard who deserved HOF recognition?

That contradicts every book or article I have ever read and every documentary I have ever seen. You may have been alive at the time but I can't imagine you had your irrational Jets hatred at that time so this sounds like some revisionist history.

Maynard
Riggins
Klecko
Sauer(if he didn't retire too soon)
Winston Hill
Marvin Powell
Kevin Mawae
Curtis Martin

This is not the most important game in NFL history. Only in true Jets fashion would someone so boastfully make that claim. It's like saying NY is the most important state in the union, it just isn't, it is one state that makes up the union.

One team every season has had the same chance and SOS since 72 and prior to 72 and haven't achieved the same feat. Not even Tom Brady managed to pull it off with an all-star laden offensive roster.

Name me the more important games?

Tom Brady and the Pats played a MUCH tougher schedule, they actually played tons of playoff bound teams unlike the '72 team which didn't play a single playoff bound team. Great accomplishment by Miami but the '73 team was better w/ a worse record.

Here we are debating the super bowl when the thread is about the Jets cheating ways...well played NYJUCT
Super Bowl #1 was the turning point, the Jets SB was a great game and it lead to Shula arriving in Miami, but it is not #1...probably in the top 5 though...

The cheating nonsense was put to bed really quickly.

If you think it's top 5 is it crazy to say it's #1? what are your other 4 games by the way?

Name me the more important games?

Tom Brady and the Pats played a MUCH tougher schedule, they actually played tons of playoff bound teams unlike the '72 team which didn't play a single playoff bound team. Great accomplishment by Miami but the '73 team was better w/ a worse record.

The cheating nonsense was put to bed really quickly.

If you think it's top 5 is it crazy to say it's #1? what are your other 4 games by the way?

and while we are on the SOS argument the 70 Colts had the easiest SOS and only 9 Super Bowl winners ever had an SOS over .500. This is a highly over rated stat because it is purely hind sight at it's finest.

Joe was an icon, bigger than any dolphin player ever inlcuding Mr. Marino(even though Dan was a much better player)

The phins won 2 straight and haven't won one since and only have 1 more SB title than we do.

You haven't been to a title game in 19 years, you haven't won a playoff game in 11. Please stop talking, we know Miami was great in the 70s but that was a long time ago(and around the same time as when the Jets won).

That contradicts every book or article I have ever read and every documentary I have ever seen. You may have been alive at the time but I can't imagine you had your irrational Jets hatred at that time so this sounds like some revisionist history.

Maynard
Riggins
Klecko
Sauer(if he didn't retire too soon)
Winston Hill
Marvin Powell
Kevin Mawae
Curtis Martin

I watched the SB in 1969 and was aware of Joe Namath. He did the shaving cream commercials and the panty hose commercials. As a kid it was easy to see him as a self promoting wanna be celebrity fed by the New York media. Outside of the north east, he was just a bizarre athlete who dressed like a sissy or a cracked out pimp.
To say that he alone brought football into the spot light is just delusional.

and while we are on the SOS argument the 70 Colts had the easiest SOS and only 9 Super Bowl winners ever had an SOS over .500. This is a highly over rated stat because it is purely hind sight at it's finest.

That's not correct.

By far, the Phins had the easiest SOS in Super Bowl history.

Their opponents had an aggregate winning percentage of only .396 that year, and they only played 2 teams that with records over .500, and both teams were 8-6.

Back
Top Bottom