Jets' New Stadium May Force Bills Out of Buffalo | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jets' New Stadium May Force Bills Out of Buffalo

Nublar7

Retired FinHeaven Staff
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050524/1055671.asp

What would you say if state lawmakers gave $350 million to the New York Jets that would jeopardize the existence of the Buffalo Bills? How would you react if your tax dollars were being used to contribute to the eventual departure of the pro sports franchise vital to Western New York's identity?
Beware, Bills fans. It might happen any day now.
What does this mean for the Bills? As you may have read two weeks ago, owner Ralph Wilson is concerned about where the NFL is headed. The collective bargaining agreement with the players' association ends after the 2007 season. The players are seeking a share of heretofore untapped revenues, revenues teams aren't mandated to share among themselves. Franchises at the high end of the scale are opposed to divvying up the individual pots. That means that in the next CBA the Bills likely would take a heavier hit than the teams making more money. And that makes it less attractive for the Bills to remain in Buffalo when it comes time to settle Wilson's estate.

Wilson says there are eight to 10 teams that are steadfastly opposed to greater revenue sharing. The Jets, if they get their Taj Mahal of a stadium, are sure to expand the list. A move to Manhattan will mean an increase in the team's unshared revenues, which include luxury suites, club suites, advertising and sponsorships. There's a good chance they'll vault from 22nd in revenue (one spot ahead of the Bills) into the top 10. So the Jets, who might previously have welcomed wider revenue sharing, are likely to have a change of heart. And theirs could be a pivotal vote.

Approval from 24 of 32 teams is required for the NFL to amend its revenue-sharing formula. Seven teams currently have revenues of $183 million or higher, an $8 million spread over the next team on the list. If the Jets catapult into the upper echelon, that's eight votes against and a lost ally in Wilson's effort to balance the system. One more vote and the move for change is defeated, leaving the Bills at a competitive disadvantage that could undermine their bottom line.

If that's the case, and you're a business person who someday buys the Bills, relocating the team becomes more probable than improbable. Aren't you glad your tax dollars are at work?

The Jets need a new stadium and the politicians want a new place so they can get the Olympics...the problem is that interest groups in NY make it difficult to get anything done and all you have to do is check out all the red tape in the proposed rebuilding of the 9-11 site in Manhattan, or the problems in getting the new NBA stadium made for the Brooklyn Nets....I think Buffalo is safe for the time being.

Yeah, the Buffalo Snooze has been screaming doomsday for the Bills in Buffalo since time out of mind. Every year they post 5 or 6 articles spelling out why the Bills are leaving next year.

I don't think they are going to get the stadium. The estimate has almost doubled on the cost of the stadium, origionally touted at $1 billion it is now estimated at $1.9 Billion. There was a deal on some land in NY that fell through.

Buffalo has also started the ball rolling on getting a new stadium in the downtown area just recently. These things take time, but could concieveably be rolling within 5 years. Buffalo will make the same arguement as NY did, only the fabric of their financial woes will hold water, where NYC's is weak. Buffalo will only need about 1/3 of the origional estimated figure that NY did... roughly $300-400 Million.

Bsides, Bush has announced he is in favor of the new stadium in NY. That is a sure fire way to get NYers to say HELL NO!!!. NY is hugely Democratic, and not only that... they are even more anti-Bush.

sandt38 said:
Yeah, the Buffalo Snooze has been screaming doomsday for the Bills in Buffalo since time out of mind. Every year they post 5 or 6 articles spelling out why the Bills are leaving next year.

I don't think they are going to get the stadium. The estimate has almost doubled on the cost of the stadium, origionally touted at $1 billion it is now estimated at $1.9 Billion. There was a deal on some land in NY that fell through.

Buffalo has also started the ball rolling on getting a new stadium in the downtown area just recently. These things take time, but could concieveably be rolling within 5 years. Buffalo will make the same arguement as NY did, only the fabric of their financial woes will hold water, where NYC's is weak. Buffalo will only need about 1/3 of the origional estimated figure that NY did... roughly $300-400 Million.

Bsides, Bush has announced he is in favor of the new stadium in NY. That is a sure fire way to get NYers to say HELL NO!!!. NY is hugely Democratic, and not only that... they are even more anti-Bush.
I hope you are right. The Bills need to stay in Buffalo, because I don't want to be arguing with Los Angeles Bills fans. :wink:

I doubt the Bills are going anywhere... As much as I would like to see Bill's fans cry and whine, it just wouldn't be the same playing them somewhere else.

Nublar7 said:
I hope you are right. The Bills need to stay in Buffalo, because I don't want to be arguing with Los Angeles Bills fans. :wink:

I don't think LA is a viable market for moving a team as sucessful as the Bills. The Buffalo franchise is valued 14th overall in the league. While 14th is not massive, the small market share they posess and the stunning following they have (ask any player who has visited Buffalo, the fans are rabid football fans) seems likely enough to keep them where they are. I think we can also look at LA's history of failures with NFL teams, lack of a useable stadium, and how much of the market is already filled down there. Most everyone is a Raider fan, and those that aren't can root for other "locals" like San Diego, and San Fransisco. While they are not right on top of LA, they have enough else to do besides fight 6 hours of traffic to watch a football game.

I lived in the LA area for 6 years, and the only football fans I ever met were from NY, Texas, and the Bay Area who moved to LA. In my time in SD (I lived there for their SB loss :lol: ) I met a ton of fair weather fans, but after the loss in the SB no one ever cared about the Chargers... Being from Buffalo myself it was shocking for me to move to a place where football wasn't at all important. But everywhere I have moved outside of Buffalo it is like football isn't all that important. WTF is up with that? Is anything as important as football? I'm gettin my Sunday Ticket even if it means not eating for a month :lol:.

LA likes their basketball, and they are OK with baseball... but sucess with the NFL has been elusive thus far. I say look for the Ain'ts to move there... the LA Saints... or L"Aints"... they are on the south side oif financial sucess, and those are the teams looking to find a new home.

Slappy8800 said:
Jets stadium isnt going to happen

Yes it is. The Olympics might not be happening(at least the '12 Olympics) but the Stadium will be built.

Nublar7 said:

I was listening to Tim Brando's radio show and he was hinting that there could be a Los Angeles Saints team in the near future....I could see the Saints leaving New Orleans before the Bills would leave Buff....I also would not be shocked if the Irsays upped and moved in Indy....they don't give a crap about fan loyalty and took off from Baltimore in the middle of the night.

Roman529 said:
I was listening to Tim Brando's radio show and he was hinting that there could be a Los Angeles Saints team in the near future....I could see the Saints leaving New Orleans before the Bills would leave Buff....I also would not be shocked if the Irsays upped and moved in Indy....they don't give a crap about fan loyalty and took off from Baltimore in the middle of the night.
I agree. Looks like the Saints are going to be the ones picking up and moving to Los Angeles. Colts and Vikings could always sometime in the future be moving, and too other markets being examined after Los Angeles are San Antonio and Albuquerque.

If the Saints do move, would you want them to keep the Saints name, or choose a new name like the Browns did when they moved to Baltimore, or the Oliers did when they moved to Tennessee?

Wagon Circler said:
Before LA has a team they need a stadium. It's going to be at least 4 years until there is a team in LA if there is one at all.

Wrong doesn't take that long to build a stadium considering the plans are already in order for a couple of them. The quickest plan would be a renovation of the L.A. Memorial Coliseum or the Rose Bowl.

After L.A. the next viable market is well, probably L.A. again just this time in Anaheim which is booming right now for sports. Las Vegas is a possiblity just there aren't that that many residents there just yet, however it's booming and it might get to the levels it needs to be soon. The Saints look like the team that's going to come here.

Jaj said:
Wrong doesn't take that long to build a stadium considering the plans are already in order for a couple of them. The quickest plan would be a renovation of the L.A. Memorial Coliseum or the Rose Bowl.

After L.A. the next viable market is well, probably L.A. again just this time in Anaheim which is booming right now for sports. Las Vegas is a possiblity just there aren't that that many residents there just yet, however it's booming and it might get to the levels it needs to be soon. The Saints look like the team that's going to come here.

Believe me, it's going to take at least four years for a team to go out there.

Wagon Circler said:
Believe me, it's going to take at least four years for a team to go out there.
I disagree. If you read the papers or listen to the news at all they seem hellbent to get a team in Los Angeles by 2008. Sounds like if worse comes to worse they will just renovate the Coliseum.

Also, the Saints contract with the SuperDome is up after the 2006 season. It looks more and more likely each day that the Saints will be in Los Angeles by 2008.

Back
Top Bottom