Jets Thomas touchdown. Why wasn't that overturned? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jets Thomas touchdown. Why wasn't that overturned?

Buff

From a galaxy far far away....
Club Member
Reaction score
To me he didn't have control and the ball was on the ground in the end zone. Did they review the call at all?
Can anyone enlighten me. All I have see is the highlights of the game..

I thought it was overturned. Originally called incomplete. I'm ok with calling it a td. The receiver had the ball, took three steps, controlled the ball to the ground and only lost control of the ball after it was stripped out by the defender. It doesn't always playout this way, but in my eyes if you hiut the ground and lose control of the ball because of contact with the ground that's an incomplete pass. If you lose control of th ball because the defender reaches in and strips it out after you already controlled the ball than that's a completion.

I still disagree that it was a TD. We've seen far more conclusive plays than this one - Jesse James? Why in the world did they review Zack Ertz TD for 10 minutes in the SB? He caught the ball at the 6, ran unmolested, dove over a defender into the EZ and the ball popped up when he hit the ground, he caught his own pop-up (ball never hit the ground) and yet we had to wait forever on that one. This play was bang-bang compared to that one. This player did not "survive the ground" - why does it matter if the defender strips it out or not? Using that logic, Lee Evans' catch in that title game vs NE should have been ruled a TD. He caught it, 2 feet down, went to hold it out to celebrate and the defender came over the top and stripped it. I don't get it. To me it was a great defensive play, where the defender kept fighting - and it was ruled incomplete on the field. You rarely see a call for a TD when the ball is lying on the ground after a pass play. He never really controlled that ball IMO - not for the 3 steps the NFL says... Did he make a football move? All this high-def technology has made the game worse somehow - lol.

The officials stated he established possession before the goal line changing him into a runner. Once a runner crosses the GL it was a td. Then the ball came lose. That's what the explanation was.
More of a CYA than an explanation. Jesse James had established himself as a runner too... They are never consistent with this ****.

I still disagree that it was a TD. We've seen far more conclusive plays than this one - Jesse James? Why in the world did they review Zack Ertz TD for 10 minutes in the SB? He caught the ball at the 6, ran unmolested, dove over a defender into the EZ and the ball popped up when he hit the ground, he caught his own pop-up (ball never hit the ground) and yet we had to wait forever on that one. This play was bang-bang compared to that one. This player did not "survive the ground" - why does it matter if the defender strips it out or not? Using that logic, Lee Evans' catch in that title game vs NE should have been ruled a TD. He caught it, 2 feet down, went to hold it out to celebrate and the defender came over the top and stripped it. I don't get it. To me it was a great defensive play, where the defender kept fighting - and it was ruled incomplete on the field. You rarely see a call for a TD when the ball is lying on the ground after a pass play. He never really controlled that ball IMO - not for the 3 steps the NFL says... Did he make a football move? All this high-def technology has made the game worse somehow - lol.

Totally agree. With instant replay you can look at 3 frames for 10 minutes. In one frame the ball hits his hands, in another the right foot moves in another his torso shifts... catch!

More of a CYA than an explanation. Jesse James had established himself as a runner too... They are never consistent with this ****.
I agree consistency is key. One would think with all those billions the NFL would be able to fine the best officials. But then Goodell would lose control of game outcomes.
I have noticed a move in officiating that is becoming more prevalent in controlling games. There are different rules impacting a passer compared to a runner. The refs are now using this distinction to direct the outcome.

The NFL keeps redefining what a catch is so comparing calls from this year to calls from previous years is nonsensical. Now it is "control of the ball, two feet down (a foot can be replaced with a body part) and a football move."

The Thomas catch is consistent with how refs have applied the rule this year. I know if he was in a Dolphin uniform I would be 100% certain that was a legitimate catch as they are being called this year.

Zack Ertz catch probably wouldn't even be reviewed today or it would take one quick look determining it is a catch.

Lee Evans catch however wouldn't stand a chance of being a catch. Whether he had control of the ball with the second foot down is highly unlikely, but "no way" was there a football move even if the refs were liberal in determining he had control of the ball with two feet down.

Appears going to ground and maintaining control throughout tbe process is no longer a requirement.

but who cares we lost that game because fitz stunk up the joint in tbe red zone

Dolphins need focus on next yr. This season is over. 2020 we need be better. Let Rosen play some. We all ready know what Fitzpatrick can do.

The NFL keeps redefining what a catch is so comparing calls from this year to calls from previous years is nonsensical. Now it is "control of the ball, two feet down (a foot can be replaced with a body part) and a football move."

The Thomas catch is consistent with how refs have applied the rule this year. I know if he was in a Dolphin uniform I would be 100% certain that was a legitimate catch as they are being called this year.

Zack Ertz catch probably wouldn't even be reviewed today or it would take one quick look determining it is a catch.

Lee Evans catch however wouldn't stand a chance of being a catch. Whether he had control of the ball with the second foot down is highly unlikely, but "no way" was there a football move even if the refs were liberal in determining he had control of the ball with two feet down.

This is a great post. Good point about constant refinement of the rules. The Ertz play though, shouldn’t have been reviewed 2 years ago though IMO - even w the rules as they were. Announcers and fans were dumbfounded alike. Evans is a TD in the 70’s and 80’s (see SB diving TD staubach to golden Richards vs Denver in ‘77) so I understand what you are saying I would prefer to go back to simpler times to be honest. Too many flags and stoppages and controversy. I’m willing to accept human error in sports at this point if it means a better game experience.

This was very clear and indisputable. Two feet down => football move turning toward the back of endzone => TD! => starts to fall, hits ground => Needham dislodges the ball. 100% TD. I love that Needham kept competing to the ground and beyond, but TD was the correct call.

I disagree. The criteria has finally stabilized this year. There may be some mistakes, but the criteria is clear.

Back
Top Bottom