Jets will try to mimic the Texans | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jets will try to mimic the Texans

Golphindolphin

town drunk
Club Member
Reaction score
"The question of how to approach the Miami Dolphins begins with what worked for Houston last week in the Texans' 21-20 victory over Miami. Texans quarterback David Carr, who was sacked an NFL-high 76 times last season, used three-step drops and his scrambling ability to keep the Dolphins' vaunted defensive line without a sack. Houston also forced the Dolphins to use more of their nickel package, and had success with multiple-receiver sets - the approach that is most comfortable for Testaverde.

"Houston played with a lot of three and four wide receivers, which normally people don't do against them, and they played it very well," Hackett said. "Then [the Dolphins] take out linebackers and put in defensive backs. Their feeling was, 'This is how we matched up the best.' We certainly can do some of that because we've got three receivers that we like."

Though Curtis Martin has a history of running well out of spread formations, this type of approach would leave Testaverde - less mobile than ever at age 39 - exposed to Miami's fierce pass rush.

Plus, some of the things that made Carr successful against the Dolphins (17-for-31 for 266 yards) - not forcing throws when the play is covered and scrambling back to the line of scrimmage - are not Testaverde's strengths. "He did a fantastic job of getting the ball out of his hand," Hackett said of Carr. "He played, in my opinion, about as well as you can play against them. When he had the time, he stayed in there and delivered the ball. When he didn't have the time, he didn't force the issue.""

http://www.newsday.com/sports/footb...4sep12,0,3664353.story?coll=ny-jets-headlines

i hope Jets do try to play like houston, cus the key was stopping the rush which i dont think the jets are capable of doing. another thing, we should be better in tackling and with coverages to some degree. every time we have played against vinnie, he has been two step drop. I think it would be good to blitz seau every once in a while but stay home with coverages in the passing lanes as much as possible, which means to play our normal defensive style. alot of people may not like that but we should not play the jets to try and kill them, i think that could backfire. i think our offense needs to step up and make a huge play downfield early and then control with ricky and Konrad and mcmicheal.

Back
Top Bottom