Jevon Holland highest graded rookie in the league week 1 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jevon Holland highest graded rookie in the league week 1

That was some ridiculous scheme. Didn’t matter if they got pressure on the QB, there was seemingly always an uncovered player just a short throw away. They made it far too easy for that rookie QB. He nickel and dimed the Dolphins defense all day. He maybe made 3-4 difficult throws all game.

Seriously, how many times did we see an outlet pass to the flat or over the middle with the nearest defender 3 yards or more away?
Perhaps that was the gameplan. It worked pretty well. 16 points allowed is a good game in the context of today's NFL.

17 points scored on offense, however, is an issue, not the defense, or its scheme.

a second round pick making an impact, imagine. Iggy im looking at you. for the record Iggy should absolutely never been a first round pick. its not Iggy fault , I blame Grier.
You don't think flo had at least veto power, if not the actual choice, on drafting a rd1, inexperienced DB? Not sure Grier is the one to point the finger at here

Thats absolutely ridiculous though. You are only good or bad in comparison to others.

Crazy example. If you're a left tackle and give up one sack that's a great year right? Well what if no other LT in the league gave up a sack? You'd actually be the worst left tackle in the league and "bad" because your performance is below average in comparison to your peers.
That’s not what I’m talking about. I’m talking about the one on one comparisons. Like everyone acting like X was a chump I’m the off-season because they are in love with Jalen Ramsey (who isn’t as good as X IMO). Or people wanting to replace Tua because they want a QB who puts up big numbers like Josh Allen. Who only has a career QBR 3 points higher than Tua. Or hoping that one of our safeties can be as good as a guy we got rid of because he doesn’t make our team better according to our coach. You buy in or your out. How good do you think our secondary would be if we had the Steelers pass rush? Guys just get carried away and it’s frustrating as hell to see.

Last edited:
Perhaps that was the gameplan. It worked pretty well. 16 points allowed is a good game in the context of today's NFL.

17 points scored on offense, however, is an issue, not the defense, or its scheme.
We had 19 minutes of possession before we killed the clock at the end. Extrapolate that out to a normal game and it's 25+ for a 30 min game which is perfectly fine. The issue was that our defensive strategy was to make them drive the length of the field slowly and then tighten up in the red zone, but that means less possessions for our offense.

We had 19 minutes of possession before we killed the clock at the end. Extrapolate that out to a normal game and it's 25+ for a 30 min game which is perfectly fine. The issue was that our defensive strategy was to make them drive the length of the field slowly and then tighten up in the red zone, but that means less possessions for our offense.
Luv ya brother, but that logic is faulty as hell.

How about we sustain a few drives and convert a few more third downs?

That is the best way to balance TOP. The number of posessions was (I believe) +1 for us, while we ran nearly 20 plays less.

That's the defenses fault?

Luv ya brother, but that logic is faulty as hell.

How about we sustain a few drives and convert a few more third downs?

That is the best way to balance TOP. The number of posessions was (I believe) +1 for us, while we ran nearly 20 plays less.

That's the defenses fault?
I'm not sure how many possessions you think are going to happen in a game where the other team has 3 FOURTEEN play drives.

Edit: And just to wet your whistle a little bit, ignoring the 2 QB sneaks designed to only get 1 yard, and the 3 kneel downs at the end of the game, we averaged ~5.5 yards per play which would have been good for 18th last season. Considering this came against a team that has a much better defense than 18th best, I'd say our offensive performance was therefore "fine".

Last edited:

16 points is a solid game. But be real, it was about to be 19 (or more) and an "L" if not for our star defensive stud X. Paper thin margin there.
Might have been even more if not for the other fumble. Something very uncharateristic of NE.

No adjustments throughout the game or on NE's final drive.

Defensive scheme most certainly WAS an issue.

Conversely, the offense was missing Will Fuller and has major issues on the line.
What's the defenses excuse? They have a solid d-line and some of the best DB's in the league. Yet allowed a rookie QB all day to dink and dunk them to wide open receivers.

16 points is a solid game. But be real, it was about to be 19 (or more) and an "L" if not for our star defensive stud X. Paper thin margin there.
Might have been even more if not for the other fumble. Something very uncharateristic of NE.

No adjustments throughout the game or on NE's final drive.

Defensive scheme most certainly WAS an issue.

Conversely, the offense was missing Will Fuller and has major issues on the line.
What's the defenses excuse? They have a solid d-line and some of the best DB's in the league. Yet allowed a rookie QB all day to dink and dunk them to wide open receivers.
What do you want the defense to do? Hold teams to single digits?.

I'm not sure how many possessions you think are going to happen in a game where the other team has 3 FOURTEEN play drives.

Edit: And just to wet your whistle a little bit, ignoring the 2 QB sneaks designed to only get 1 yard, and the 3 kneel downs at the end of the game, we averaged ~5.5 yards per play which would have been good for 18th last season. Considering this came against a team that has a much better defense than 18th best, I'd say our offensive performance was therefore "fine".
So your conclusion is that it is somehow better for us for the game to have more total posessions when, by your own statement, we are near the bottom third of the league in yds per play?

If you hate the scheme, where more emphasis is put on points allowed than yards, thats fine, but to then give the offense a "pass" for 17 pts scored (27th in the league) , only 2 sustained drives, and a poor third down conversion rate (few 1st downs in general)?

This whole conversation started about the TOP numbers. It isn't that complicated. If the offense had even been league average in their 3rd down rate, and sustained a couple more drives, we win that game easily.

a second round pick making an impact, imagine. Iggy im looking at you. for the record Iggy should absolutely never been a first round pick. its not Iggy fault , I blame Grier.
Iggy was a Flo pick guaranteed

That was some ridiculous scheme. Didn’t matter if they got pressure on the QB, there was seemingly always an uncovered player just a short throw away. They made it far too easy for that rookie QB. He nickel and dimed the Dolphins defense all day. He maybe made 3-4 difficult throws all game.

Seriously, how many times did we see an outlet pass to the flat or over the middle with the nearest defender 3 yards or more away?
It’s obvious to me they were playing “bend don’t break” with the rookie calculating that he would make mistakes…they almost didn’t get away with it as Jones played well!

You don't think flo had at least veto power, if not the actual choice, on drafting a rd1, inexperienced DB? Not sure Grier is the one to point the finger at here
The GM is the captain and must go down with the ship. If he didn’t agree to the pick it doesn’t happen.

With that said…Iggy is very young!

Not sure what Grier drafting lineman has to do with anything but, Holland looks like a keeper.

There's just a bunch of people that are so frustrated that we didn't look like the 85 bears and dominate for 4qtrs that they can't help but **** on every little positive thing. Throwing shade to squelch the flames of their own rage. Apparently every throw should've been 50 yard dimes and score every drive. THEN we would be OK to be positive about anything.

Back
Top Bottom