Jevon Holland highest graded rookie in the league week 1 | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jevon Holland highest graded rookie in the league week 1

That was some ridiculous scheme. Didn’t matter if they got pressure on the QB, there was seemingly always an uncovered player just a short throw away. They made it far too easy for that rookie QB. He nickel and dimed the Dolphins defense all day. He maybe made 3-4 difficult throws all game.

Seriously, how many times did we see an outlet pass to the flat or over the middle with the nearest defender 3 yards or more away?

187. At least that's what it felt like

It’s obvious to me they were playing “bend don’t break” with the rookie calculating that he would make mistakes…they almost didn’t get away with it as Jones played well!

Which I'd somewhat understand until later in the game when it was apparent it wasn't working so well. Especially the final possession where they drove down to inside the 10 before the fumble.

Luv ya brother, but that logic is faulty as hell.

How about we sustain a few drives and convert a few more third downs?

That is the best way to balance TOP. The number of posessions was (I believe) +1 for us, while we ran nearly 20 plays less.

That's the defenses fault?
It all comes down to how you look at it. Cases could be made for either side, and while I was down on the defense overall (didn’t like the scheme), they only gave up 16 points with zero help from special teams, and had to play more snaps because of the lack of time the offense had the ball.

Had a few of those drops and/or that INT not happened, we wouldn’t have needed that amazing X game-saving play. Felt like we left 10+ points on the field on O. The offensive game plan was enough to win a grinder on the road…execution was not.

So your conclusion is that it is somehow better for us for the game to have more total posessions when, by your own statement, we are near the bottom third of the league in yds per play?

If you hate the scheme, where more emphasis is put on points allowed than yards, thats fine, but to then give the offense a "pass" for 17 pts scored (27th in the league) , only 2 sustained drives, and a poor third down conversion rate (few 1st downs in general)?

This whole conversation started about the TOP numbers. It isn't that complicated. If the offense had even been league average in their 3rd down rate, and sustained a couple more drives, we win that game easily.
As I said before, there aren't many possessions to go around in a game where the opposing offense had 3 14 play drives. It doesn't matter if the offense is the Chiefs. We had the ball for 19 minutes which isn't exclusively a problem with the offense.

Stop looking at averages and expecting an average outcome. If you tell me we put up 5.5 ypp against the best defenses in the league when we play them, I'll take that all day. Don't know why you wouldn't.

16 points is a solid game. But be real, it was about to be 19 (or more) and an "L" if not for our star defensive stud X. Paper thin margin there.
Might have been even more if not for the other fumble. Something very uncharateristic of NE.

No adjustments throughout the game or on NE's final drive.

Defensive scheme most certainly WAS an issue.

Conversely, the offense was missing Will Fuller and has major issues on the line.
What's the defenses excuse? They have a solid d-line and some of the best DB's in the league. Yet allowed a rookie QB all day to dink and dunk them to wide open receivers.
If you are going to give NE a FG, the you need to give us a FG too, for the remaining minute plus that would have been left on the clock.

That means we still would have won.

By the way, that kind of thinking can be seen in the Patriots post game reviews on a Patriot fan based video review.

If the Patriots fans are so "emotionally bruised" that this is what they were worried about before the turnover, we've gotten inside their "collective" heads.

That's a win all by itself - LOL

It’s obvious to me they were playing “bend don’t break” with the rookie calculating that he would make mistakes…they almost didn’t get away with it as Jones played well!
Should be " ... we got away with it in spite of Jones playing pretty well for his first NFL game!"

You know they are in this together. Flores and Grier make the picks. People can hate on Grier but Flo has to take credit and blame.

Bless you. Grier makes NO PICKS unless approved by Flo. Yeah, yeah, I get 'ultimately responsible,' but Flo/coaches/scouts make the board, make the picks.
I didn't understand the NI pick. I loved the Holland pick.

Back
Top Bottom