Jim Caldwell doing a little back stabbing | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jim Caldwell doing a little back stabbing

dougb123

Bringer of Rain
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
In a rare interview, ex-Dolphins assistant Jim Caldwell did not name the Dolphins but said he’s philosophically opposed to teams letting top players get away. He even called it a firing offense.

Like we would take what this guy has to say seriously.

Knew there was more to it than his health....

Yes, the whole thing was kind of bizarre. I understand the health issue part, but even down the road when he seemed better there seemed to be little to no interest in anything dolphins. Keep in mind I can only see what the media shows us, and they sure didnt show Jim Caldwell saying or doing anything Miami. Then there was the Gailey hire, and a bunch of other younger new to NFL coaches he brought in.

I just love the hinting that we should fire Flores, of coarse he didn't name - names, just somewhat bizarre and there's a story there no one is talking about. Bad blood.

Fire him for what? Getting rid of overpaid under performers? Cleaning the slate to start new with players he envisions for his team/scheme? Flores had to clean house, some of the guys who left did not want to be here, even when they tried talking to them and writing them new contracts. When he took this job, him and Grier both stated this was going to be a complete rebuild, from the ground up. While skill is important, I see that personality is a big thing with Flores, he seems to want flexibility and guys who are team players, not selfish. He’s definitely brought that trait over from NE, seems they’ve been doing it for years. Always letting go FAs who want a lot of money, seeing them fail on other rosters.

I’m sure people’s opinions will vary, with every style of leadership there are pros and cons. There are folks who can point out both the good and bad. Caldwell sounds like he’s with that crowd that was taking very badly of Miami early on. I personally like the approach they are taking, for years we watched the same thing over and over, and it didn’t work out. He’s doing this differently. If we had a normal offseason/preseason, I would say this team will almost twice as many games as last year. Due to current events I have no clue how long it’s going to take this team to gel with all the roster flipping.

Pretty sure he is talking Minkah Fitzpatrick and the lack of value we got in return.

If I'm not mistaken, one of the GOAT receivers, Calvin Johnson quit in 2016 during or just before Caldwell's 3rd year as Detroit HC. Losing one of the greatest WRs in his prime is not a firing offense?

NI think Caldwell is referring to letting players (still playing) go to other teams (or trading them). My suspicion is he is referring to Minkah.

To mention Calvin Johnson isn't really fair to Caldwell since Johnson retired. He didn't leave via free agency and wasn't traded. He retired due to potential health concerns (he cited concussions).

NI think Caldwell is referring to letting players (still playing) go to other teams (or trading them). My suspicion is he is referring to Minkah.

To mention Calvin Johnson isn't really fair to Caldwell since Johnson retired. He didn't leave via free agency and wasn't traded. He retired due to potential health concerns (he cited concussions).
I understand what he was referring to. I think it's sour grapes that he couldn't pull a Gregg Williams to get Flores's job and then quit under some pretense of illness.

What you need to ask yourself is why a coach of color with a winning record in the regular season does not have a job. IMHO that speaks to some personal failings we the fans are not aware of.

The Minkah one hurts because we used him so incorrectly. Kid is on a perennial ALL PRO career so far with HOF potential. We screwed that one up big time, especially since Flores loves accumulating DBs.

Tunsil trade was a great one. Id take 2 1st for just about any player that's not a franchise QB.

Still, I am happy with our team trajectory. It's all about getting the right QB and if Tua is the guy, we are all set, these moves wont even matter.

I don't think he was talking about the Phins at all. The writer of that piece kept adding that, but Caldwell just said he sees teams all over the NFL doing that. The only team he mentioned by name is Detroit when he said "Not only Detroit"

I just love the hinting that we should fire Flores, of coarse he didn't name - names, just somewhat bizarre and there's a story there no one is talking about. Bad blood.

Correct -- reeks of sour grapes.

Bottom line, he's Mister Irrelevant in Dolphinland and too bad he found it necessary to take a cheap shot at the org.

I've heard too much kale can make you rather cranky & bitchy.

I'll cut him some slack on that one...

BNF

I am not saying flores right or wrong for giving players away for future draft picks..football is about winning. I am not big fan of N.E coaching tree. Caldwell have point too..bottom line we just got see how it plays out in miami. Without good qb..flore going fail.

Back
Top Bottom