Jimmy Johnson to be inducted to the HoF. | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jimmy Johnson to be inducted to the HoF.

Wayne was a POS too.....Look ,i get why Canes fans are so protective of a coach who ONLY won one championship....We love Gene Stallings one championship at Bama,also... :)

Jerry fired Tom...Don't blame JJ for that...but,Wayne was meeting with JJ a few weeks before Shula "retired"...
Shula was asked to make changes to his staff and he refused. Shula didn't like to be told what to do so no surprise he didn't adhere to the ultimatum. Either way you want to look at it, the time was right for Shula to quit and/or be let go.

Wayne was a POS too.....Look ,i get why Canes fans are so protective of a coach who ONLY won one championship....We love Gene Stallings one championship at Bama,also... :)

Nice deflection.

But he was a winner. Despite your unmitigated hate of him, he is being recognized by his peers for achievements and is now getting a gold jacket. Not for what he did in Coral Gables, but what he did as a NFL HC.

Gene Stallings? Meh.

S8rVo3b.gif

While he basically inherited an offense at the end of Marino’s career and he didn’t really upgrade the offense while he was the head coach, he did a great job of leaving a lot of defensive talent on the roster when he decided to retire.
It is just a shame that he burned out so soon as the Dolphins HC because if he had only been hired when he was younger, I have no doubt he would have taken the Dolphins to the SB. He was a hell of a coach when he was younger but he just didn’t have the same fire in his gut in his last few years with the Dolphins.

I have doubt he would have taken us to Superbowl esp after he coached a team that got beat 62-7 in his final game. he took over a team that was 9-7 and four years later his team was 9-7 and blown out by the Jags. in four seasons he somehow made the dolphins more inept at running the ball and never had a season where we averaged above 3.5 per carry.

Shula was asked to make changes to his staff and he refused. Shula didn't like to be told what to do so no surprise he didn't adhere to the ultimatum. Either way you want to look at it, the time was right for Shula to quit and/or be let go.

Eight years of Tom Olivadotti as DC :bobdole: Hell, I might have fired Shula over that. I can only presume Olivadotti had some influence on Shula we don't know about :wacky

Jimmy Johnson let Kippy Brown run his offense. Pretty much says it all. He was a burned out flat out failure and shell of his former self coming to Miami.

Tom Olivadotti was Don Shula's morning prayer buddy.
Linked through God.
And I love Don Shula, for what he accomplished, but he blew it from 85-89 drafting and acquiring talent and no way could he then complete against the elite teams during the final phase of his coaching tenure in the 90's. What was Shula going to do in '96, with an overextended cap? A total rebuild at age 66? I hated to see Shula bumped out, but he wasn't going to win after '95. JJ was the best chance at the time to get Marino a ring.
Wayne wanted to win and did what he had to do to try to bring a winner in. JJ had a reputation for building a team from scratch, and he wouldn't have to do that in MIA. It just didn't work. I still lament that Yatil Green injury.

Could not stand JJ coming to Miami, but he deserves HoF for what he did with Dallas...

I blame him for much of the decline of the franchise...his heart was not in it when he came here and he was responsible for saddling us with Wannstedt, who drove us into the ground with a vengeance

Back
Top Bottom