Jimmy Johnson’s Strong Opinion On The Dolphins’ Trade For Josh Rosen | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jimmy Johnson’s Strong Opinion On The Dolphins’ Trade For Josh Rosen

That's Brady in a nutshell.
I get that ppl like the excitement of the "athletic" QB, that "can make something out of nothing", but, historically, thats not the path to sustained success.

A pocket passer, that can effectively move around the backfield, between the tackles, to avoid sacks, is still king in the NFL.

I don't want my QB making something out of nothing on a regular basis. I want him to understand the design of the offense, and execute it.

If Rosen came out this year he probably is the 2nd QB off the board after a year in Chip Kelly's offense. We arguably got the 2nd best qb available in this draft for a late 2nd round pick.

Maybe it doesn't work out, but it's hard to argue with the value they got in the trade.

I get that ppl like the excitement of the "athletic" QB, that "can make something out of nothing", but, historically, thats not the path to sustained success.

A pocket passer, that can effectively move around the backfield, between the tackles, to avoid sacks, is still king in the NFL.

I don't want my QB making something out of nothing on a regular basis. I want him to understand the design of the offense, and execute it.
Not to mention all that running greatly increases the odds of injury. The mobile QB's are usually good for a year or so until the defenses study the tape and figure you out. Once they game plan on how to contain you, you become less effective in your ability to move the team down the field without running. That's what separates the cerebral from the athletic.

That's one thing these "running" QB's learn pretty quickly coming into the NFL. These guys are a lot faster than what they're used to playing against in college. They could be successful relying on their running capabilities because the condensed talent isn't there, and they get conditioned by that safety net. If you look through history, not many running QB's have achieved greatness in this league (true running QB's), it's the pocket passers that provide long term success and as a result, are the ones that have become the greatest.

It’s an absolutely brilliant gamble and I’ve been anti Rosen for two years.
The interesting thing about this and the thing that swung me into being hopeful, from initially being anti Rosen; was how hard O'Shea pushed for the trade. If New England was into Rosen as rumored, I'm now thinking, New England South, aka the Miami Dolphins got a steal. No questions about Rosen's talent, it was more about potentially losing sight of next years QB group and what Miami passed up in trading the pick at #48 and the later round 2 pick they gave up for him.

That's one thing these "running" QB's learn pretty quickly coming into the NFL. These guys are a lot faster than what they're used to playing against in college. They could be successful relying on their running capabilities because the condensed talent isn't there, and they get conditioned by that safety net. If you look through history, not many running QB's have achieved greatness in this league (true running QB's), it's the pocket passers that provide long term success and as a result, are the ones that have become the greatest.
There is an old NFL films "top 10 elusive QBs", or some similar title, that had Marino around #4. Tarkington, Vick, Cunningham were some of the others on the list.

I found it hilarious how Dan could move around a space the size of a closet, and make pass rushers look inept, being that nobody ever accused him of being "athletic".

The point is many ppl confuse athletic with elusive.

There is an old NFL films "top 10 elusive QBs", or some similar title, that had Marino around #4. Tarkington, Vick, Cunningham were some of the others on the list.

I found it hilarious how Dan could move around a space the size of a closet, and make pass rushers look inept, being that nobody ever accused him of being "athletic".

The point is many ppl confuse athletic with elusive.
Correct as well as running and scrambling. Cunningham and Vick were running QB's, Tarkington was a scrambler. The runners pull the ball in and run if there is not an immediate open receiver, the scramblers and pocket passers move only to avoid the rush in an attempt to give those receivers a shot at getting open. They will run only as a last resort ( on third downs basically) and will more likely throw the ball away if need be.

Is it me or it's extremely rare to see an active Qb trashed by national media. I remember listening to local radio in Tennessee and hearing how great Tannehill is.
I heard nothing but good things about Tyrod Taylor, Name is. Hello I hear nothing but good things about Chad Hennessey.
Just wondering if it's just me. I don't expect to hear anything negative about Rosen unless he's on the way out of the door.

Back
Top Bottom