Jimmy Johnson’s Strong Opinion On The Dolphins’ Trade For Josh Rosen | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jimmy Johnson’s Strong Opinion On The Dolphins’ Trade For Josh Rosen

Correct as well as running and scrambling. Cunningham and Vick were running QB's, Tarkington was a scrambler. The runners pull the ball in and run if there is not an immediate open receiver, the scramblers and pocket passers move only to avoid the rush in an attempt to give those receivers a shot at getting open. They will run only as a last resort ( on third downs basically) and will more likely throw the ball away if need be.
Knowing when to throw it away, and live to see another play is an underrated skill. You would think it would be second nature, but some never get that it is the proper action in many cases.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like many have changed their opinion, after taking the time to reconsider.
It's one thing to declare they are no fan of Rosen but can see the wisdom of the trade and would love to be pleasantly surprised vs truculently insisting and "knowing" Rosen sucks and was not worth the "gamble."

At this point it seems like the % of people on this board that like the trade is way higher than the ones that don't like it. I was one that didn't want to trade away picks but was ok with trading our 3rd round pick. I thought we could get him for that but we don't really know about other teams that would have offer something higher than the 78th pick.

I really think the trade is totally worth it. People have been saying for years that we need to get a QB when we get the chance. Well, we got the chance and took it. It might work and it might now work but it's worth the gamble imo, specially since we're paying him next to nothing.

If Rosen turns into a probowler everyone will come around.

I hated it the moment it happened but after I did the research on the trade details I thought it was ok. After I researched Rosen more in depth and realized that he is very accurate and he is also good at reading defenses and using correct audibles I was happy we got him.

But as more days pass by and more pundents like Jimmie Johnson and Trent Dilfer sing Rosens praises for being intelligent and a "cerebral QB" I'm down right excited.

Best thing that could happen to this franchise is for Rosen to turn into a stud and we can invest all those sweet draft picks next year into a team full of talent surrounding Rosen.

We could win a Super Bowl if this pans out this way. We would at least have a playoff contender for the next 5 years.

Yes... only longer possibly... your talking about a very young team with a 22 year old QB.

Rosen has an extraordinary arm... what really intrigues me with his intelligence is him and that arm running the Patriot/Brady offense for us.

And like you say... if he shows us enough... we can knock a grand slam in the next draft....potentially playoffs in 2020... contender in 2021.

At this point it seems like the % of people on this board that like the trade is way higher than the ones that don't like it. I was one that didn't want to trade away picks but was ok with trading our 3rd round pick. I thought we could get him for that but we don't really know about other teams that would have offer something higher than the 78th pick.

I really think the trade is totally worth it. People have been saying for years that we need to get a QB when we get the chance. Well, we got the chance and took it. It might work and it might now work but it's worth the gamble imo, specially since we're paying him next to nothing.

Agree, but I'll add there were a number of posters pre-draft who claimed a position of 'if Flores finds a guy he likes he should do whatever it takes.' Well, he found a guy and he did what it took. Unfortunately, that guy wasn't the guy some WANTED Flores to like.

I was not onboard with Tannehill, was ready to move on a few seasons ago when he failed to take the “next step” for like the third year in a row. I had Rosen as my favorite last year so I am very happy to get him. Better than Foles, who I was always a fan of, better than Lamar Jackson or Kapp or any of the other options we had or could dream about. Never could imagine Arizona doing what they did, but either they know something nobody else does (seems highly unlikely) or they went all in with wanting their guy and plan to design the entire offense around Murray and have some fun until he gets pounded out of a job. I predict Arizona will have another top pick in the draft and need a quarterback when Rosen is celebrating another AFC Championship.

Had Fitz been the guy all year I wouldn’t have given two ****s about the team. Now that Rosen is here? I suddenly GAF again.

He’ll either pan out or he won’t. There’s hope he will and if not, the QB crop next year that’s been talked about 24/7 could give Miami the guy they’ve been looking for forever.

A Jimmy Johnson type would have to like it. He knows it's a matter of making a steady stream of logical decisions while allowing percentages to work in your favor. This one might not work. But keep applying the same philosophy and you'll be well ahead of the curve.

Howard Schnellenberger jumpstarted the University of Miami football program under the same understanding. He realized South Florida was loaded with high school talent and you merely had to keep it home. Johnson at Oklahoma State was sick of losing the recruiting battles to Oklahoma so he jumped at the chance to own a more fertile recruiting ground than Barry Switzer, or virtually anyone. Then you sign those 30 annual blue chip recruits, or more in those days before the 30/85 cap. Jimmy Johnson was stunned at some of his prized recruits who didn't pan out. Doesn't matter. It's a numbers game.

Then he applied the same mindset with the Cowboys shrewdly trading while acquiring excess picks in the early rounds. He missed on plenty of those.

I think the NFL coaches who come from college understand the numbers game reality, as opposed to subjective infatuation with one player and banking everything on him. Teams like Seattle or New England that sit late in the first round and trade back within that range of the top 40 picks realize full well that they might not always get their cherished guy. They value the concept and the players who annually fall within that territory.

BTW, for all this talk about Arizona making an unprecedented move in drafting quarterbacks back to back in the first round of consecutive drafts, I have no idea how Jimmy Johnson and Dallas are ignored regarding 1989. Johnson was new to the Cowboys and took Troy Aikman with the first pick. Then two months later in the supplemental draft Johnson used his first pick on Steve Walsh from the Canes. That is another quarterback. Johnson willingly surrendered his first round pick in 1990 via that move, and it turned out to be the first pick in the entire draft.

Johnson kept Walsh for one season before trading him to New Orleans for a first, second and third round picks, although not in the same draft. The Saints were desperate for a quarterback because Bobby Hebert was holding out.

Only idiot Miami sports writers that just want attention had anything negative to say about it . Then there dumb ramblings cause locals to believe the **** they spew out of their mouths.

I was not onboard with Tannehill, was ready to move on a few seasons ago when he failed to take the “next step” for like the third year in a row. I had Rosen as my favorite last year so I am very happy to get him. Better than Foles, who I was always a fan of, better than Lamar Jackson or Kapp or any of the other options we had or could dream about. Never could imagine Arizona doing what they did, but either they know something nobody else does (seems highly unlikely) or they went all in with wanting their guy and plan to design the entire offense around Murray and have some fun until he gets pounded out of a job. I predict Arizona will have another top pick in the draft and need a quarterback when Rosen is celebrating another AFC Championship.

Just a guess, but I suspect Flores and company were in the room last year when NE was discussing QBs.

A Jimmy Johnson type would have to like it. He knows it's a matter of making a steady stream of logical decisions while allowing percentages to work in your favor. This one might not work. But keep applying the same philosophy and you'll be well ahead of the curve.

Howard Schnellenberger jumpstarted the University of Miami football program under the same understanding. He realized South Florida was loaded with high school talent and you merely had to keep it home. Johnson at Oklahoma State was sick of losing the recruiting battles to Oklahoma so he jumped at the chance to own a more fertile recruiting ground than Barry Switzer, or virtually anyone. Then you sign those 30 annual blue chip recruits, or more in those days before the 30/85 cap. Jimmy Johnson was stunned at some of his prized recruits who didn't pan out. Doesn't matter. It's a numbers game.

Then he applied the same mindset with the Cowboys shrewdly trading while acquiring excess picks in the early rounds. He missed on plenty of those.

I think the NFL coaches who come from college understand the numbers game reality, as opposed to subjective infatuation with one player and banking everything on him. Teams like Seattle or New England that sit late in the first round and trade back within that range of the top 40 picks realize full well that they might not always get their cherished guy. They value the concept and the players who annually fall within that territory.

BTW, for all this talk about Arizona making an unprecedented move in drafting quarterbacks back to back in the first round of consecutive drafts, I have no idea how Jimmy Johnson and Dallas are ignored regarding 1989. Johnson was new to the Cowboys and took Troy Aikman with the first pick. Then two months later in the supplemental draft Johnson used his first pick on Steve Walsh from the Canes. That is another quarterback. Johnson willingly surrendered his first round pick in 1990 via that move, and it turned out to be the first pick in the entire draft.

Johnson kept Walsh for one season before trading him to New Orleans for a first, second and third round picks, although not in the same draft. The Saints were desperate for a quarterback because Bobby Hebert was holding out.

Thank you. I've seen a couple of JJ post and at the same time with all the talk recently with Rosen Murray yayayay. Johnson invester two 1s in the same draft on QBs. Aikman and Walsh. Crazy thing was I was always a Walsh fan but hated aikman. That is alot more invested than the Rosen Murray thing

Great job getting the history RIGHT!

The talent JJ assimilated in Dallas was easily the most talented team in NFL history IMO.

Is it me or it's extremely rare to see an active Qb trashed by national media. I remember listening to local radio in Tennessee and hearing how great Tannehill is.
I heard nothing but good things about Tyrod Taylor, Name is. Hello I hear nothing but good things about Chad Hennessey.
Just wondering if it's just me. I don't expect to hear anything negative about Rosen unless he's on the way out of the door.
The media aside, he hasn't even opened the door yet and he's already getting trashed here!

Knowing when to throw it away, and live to see another play is an underrated skill. You would think it would be second nature, but some never get that it is the proper action in many cases.
I think it's something with their pride being in the moment and lack of experience, their first reaction is to hold on to it at all cost and try to make something happen, which sometimes happens but more often than naught, it results in a sack, turnover or negative play. The correct call is to toss it away and live to play another play. The experienced QB's know that.

Back
Top Bottom