Jimmy Johnson’s Strong Opinion On The Dolphins’ Trade For Josh Rosen | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jimmy Johnson’s Strong Opinion On The Dolphins’ Trade For Josh Rosen

Omar Kelly blocked me from his Twitter account! He's really a moron!!! All I said to him was that he didn't know **** about Football and he should be a greeter at Walmart. Sensitive dude!!
That's an insult to Walmart greeters, they're the ones who should be pi**ed at you...:chuckle:

A Jimmy Johnson type would have to like it. He knows it's a matter of making a steady stream of logical decisions while allowing percentages to work in your favor. This one might not work. But keep applying the same philosophy and you'll be well ahead of the curve.

Howard Schnellenberger jumpstarted the University of Miami football program under the same understanding. He realized South Florida was loaded with high school talent and you merely had to keep it home. Johnson at Oklahoma State was sick of losing the recruiting battles to Oklahoma so he jumped at the chance to own a more fertile recruiting ground than Barry Switzer, or virtually anyone. Then you sign those 30 annual blue chip recruits, or more in those days before the 30/85 cap. Jimmy Johnson was stunned at some of his prized recruits who didn't pan out. Doesn't matter. It's a numbers game.

Then he applied the same mindset with the Cowboys shrewdly trading while acquiring excess picks in the early rounds. He missed on plenty of those.

I think the NFL coaches who come from college understand the numbers game reality, as opposed to subjective infatuation with one player and banking everything on him. Teams like Seattle or New England that sit late in the first round and trade back within that range of the top 40 picks realize full well that they might not always get their cherished guy. They value the concept and the players who annually fall within that territory.

BTW, for all this talk about Arizona making an unprecedented move in drafting quarterbacks back to back in the first round of consecutive drafts, I have no idea how Jimmy Johnson and Dallas are ignored regarding 1989. Johnson was new to the Cowboys and took Troy Aikman with the first pick. Then two months later in the supplemental draft Johnson used his first pick on Steve Walsh from the Canes. That is another quarterback. Johnson willingly surrendered his first round pick in 1990 via that move, and it turned out to be the first pick in the entire draft.

Johnson kept Walsh for one season before trading him to New Orleans for a first, second and third round picks, although not in the same draft. The Saints were desperate for a quarterback because Bobby Hebert was holding out.

Really well said, Awsi. Building a team is never about the specific players you acquire. While you can increase your batting average by looking for the right things, every individual selection/acquisition has the potential to fail. The smart teams do a good job of framing the ranges of possibilities and act accordingly. The bad teams know they're right and know that the players they pick will work out. Over a short sample, some of them get lucky and hit at a high rate and think they're geniuses.

I think Rosen probably won't be great in Miami, and I expect to want to draft a QB in 2020. But, who cares? There is a real chance that he is great, and even if you think it's a small chance, the 62nd pick is essentially nothing. I don't think people realize how few QB's have any chance at all. It's why you see a guy like Lock going at 42 (after a trade up). He will almost certainly fail, but there's a crack of light. Rosen has more than a crack of light, and it's rare to get a range of outcomes like Rosen's for so little.

We all talk about how brilliant the trade for Rosen was, but the key to all this was the trade with the Saints and getting an extra 2nd next year. That was an amazing move. Once we made that trade, I had a feeling the lower 2nd was going to Arizona, and I was okay with it knowing what we got from New Orleans.

The FO hasn't been this good since Bobby Bethard was here working with Don Shula. Major addition by subtraction eliminating Mike Tannenbaum from the team. Now Grier is free to really do his thing his way. The first thing Grier does is bring in top notch people to form an amazing team. Chad O'Shea and Jim Caldwell's fingerprints are all over the Josh Rosen trade. The Dolphins are finally in good hands and I believe, we may have just hit the QB jackpot. Say anything you want about Rosen but the kid is 22 and has major league arm talent, footwork and mechanics. Add one year experience as an NFL starter under his belt and you've got a guy ready to break out. The way the Cards dumped him puts a chip on his shoulder that will demand retribution. For a change the Dolphins are sitting pretty!! If the Patriots had landed Rosen in similar fashion they would be lauded as geniuses. I'm very happy the way the FO and the coaching staff are working together to build a championship team. They are off to a great start!

The FO hasn't been this good since Bobby Bethard was here working with Don Shula. Major addition by subtraction eliminating Mike Tannenbaum from the team. Now Grier is free to really do his thing his way. The first thing Grier does is bring in top notch people to form an amazing team. Chad O'Shea and Jim Caldwell's fingerprints are all over the Josh Rosen trade. The Dolphins are finally in good hands and I believe, we may have just hit the QB jackpot. Say anything you want about Rosen but the kid is 22 and has major league arm talent, footwork and mechanics. Add one year experience as an NFL starter under his belt and you've got a guy ready to break out. The way the Cards dumped him puts a chip on his shoulder that will demand retribution. For a change the Dolphins are sitting pretty!! If the Patriots had landed Rosen in similar fashion they would be lauded as geniuses. I'm very happy the way the FO and the coaching staff are working together to build a championship team. They are off to a great start!
I 100% agree with everything that you say.

Reactions: BSQ
The big if in this deal is if we can really give him a real shot with as soft as we are on the oline and dline.

Trade value is there but the timing of the move is not great.

I predict that by opening day, we'll have a pretty decent o-line together functioning well together in the new scheme. When we finally have some decent starters everyone will be screaming about the lack of depth!

Back
Top Bottom