JJ's Mock version 2.0 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

JJ's Mock version 2.0

Jimmy James

You sit on a throne of lies!
Reaction score
JJ’s Mock Draft 2.0

Round 1

1. Houston Texans – Reggie Bush, RB, USC
I don't agree with this pick. At all. The thing is that I'm not running the Texans. Reggie Bush is a very nice player, but the problem with the Texans has nothing to do with a lack of a credible rushing game. I don't think they have a chance of trading this pick, so they're going to take the consensus #1 guy.

2. New Orleans Saints – Mario Williams, DE, NC State
This pick continues the trend the Texans established with the first pick because the Saints already have two decent defensive ends. Neither one of them has the potential for greatness that Williams has, though. The Saints would love to trade down with the Jets and may have even moved an offensive lineman to improve their chances to do so. In the end, I think the Jets will smell the bluff coming and will wait patiently for their man at #4.

3. Tennessee Titans – Matt Leinart, QB, USC
The Titans are beside themselves when they find Leinart on the board here.

4. New York Jets – D’Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, UVA
The Jets have a lot of needs, but this actually works for them in the draft. They know that they can get somebody that will help them no matter whether Williams or Ferguson drops.

5. Green Bay Packers – A.J. Hawk, LB, Ohio State
The Packers are targeting Hawk and are quite pleased when he is there for them with this pick. He'll almost instantly improve a bad Packers D.

6. San Francisco 49er’s – Michael Huff, CB, Texas
The Niners need so much help that they could really go in just about any direction. They'll choose Huff to stabilize their secondary and attempt to go for some help on offense later.

7. Oakland Raiders – Vince Young, QB, Texas
There are really only three viable tutors for Vince -- McNair, Brooks, and Jay Fiedler. All of them are aging QBs who could potentially start for at least the early part of a season running an offense that would maximize Vince's mobility once he takes over. Oakland has Brooks and really needs a QB in order to realize the investment they have made on players like Jordan, Porter, and Moss. Most teams would take Cutler here instead, but Al has always been a maverick.

8. Buffalo Bills – Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon
Many think Bunkley has overtaken Ngata. The clue phone on that one won't ring in Buffalo until probably three months after the draft. That's just how the Bills draft. There is no other way to explain picks like McGahee and Losman. Honestly, I think this might serve them well in this instance. I think Ngata is getting a bum rap and don't really buy the Bunkley hype.

9. Detroit Lions – Winston Justice, OT, USC
The Lions would rather have fixed their issues on defense with LB or S in this slot, but that just isn't how the draft falls for them. They'd love to trade down, but they'll settle for bolstering their OL.

10. St. Louis Rams (from Arizona Cardinals) – Vernon Davis, TE, Maryland
Denny Green does not use a TE in his offense and would simply waste Davis. At the same time, he is not going to let this guy slide past him because he's just that good. He works the phones and takes St. Louis for a 4th rounder to swap picks. Davis will be a real force in the Ram offense.

11. Arizona Cardinals (from St. Louis Rams) – Ernie Sims, OLB, FSU
The Cardinals are tempted to take Cutler here, but Green goes defense in the end. The other LBs in the Cardinal defense have good size, so a slightly undersized guy like Sims will be okay for them. The best way for the Cards to win games doesn't come from scoring more points with that offense of theirs -- it comes from fixing the defense.

12. Cleveland Browns – Kamerion Wimbley, LB, FSU
The Browns need help with their pass rush, and Wimbley may be just what the doctor ordered as a pass rushing LB.

13. Minnesota Vikings (from Baltimore Ravens) – Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt
The Ravens want a lineman or a defensive back in the first round, but this is a bit early for that type of player. They pick up the 3rd round pick the Vikings got from Seattle (#95) to trade back a bit. Cutler gives the Vikings a player to learn behind Brad Johnson for a year.

14. Philadelphia Eagles – Brodrick Bunkley, DT, FSU
The Eagles weren't their old selves in the trenches last year, and it was a big part of the reason they slid from where they had been at the past several years. Bunkley will definitely help them correct that.

15. Denver Broncos (From Atlanta) – Chad Jackson, WR, Florida
He's the guy they traded here for. I strongly disagree with picking Jackson ahead of Holmes, but I don't run the Broncos any more than I run the Texans.

16. Miami Dolphins – Bobby Carpenter, LB, Ohio State
At Fan Appreciation Day yesterday, Nick Saban did a short Q&A with the fans. He was actually a lot more talkative than he ever is with the press, and he represented that Miami is most interested in upgrading the LB and WR situations. In particular, it appears that Saban is focused on increasing the effectiveness of Jason Taylor by adding a pass rusher on the opposite side of the field to limit teams shifting to Taylor' side. LaVar Arrington would be a solution, but he appears to want too much money. The best option for a pass rushing LB in the draft at this point is Bobby Carpenter.

17. Baltimore Ravens (from Minnesota Vikings) – Jimmy Williams, S, VPI
A lot of talk recently has focused on Williams sliding way down the board. It may happen, but the Ravens are his best chance of being taken in the teens in a scenario just like this one. He should fill in immediately right beside Ed Reed, and he can be used as a CB in a pinch in case the team encounters trouble there due to injury.

18. Dallas Cowboys – Jason Allen, S, Tennessee
Allen has been flying up the boards as Williams has been falling. I think they meet in back to back picks here. As with the Williams pick above, this pairs up a first rounder with a big name veteran safety.

19. San Diego Chargers – Santonio Holmes, WR, Ohio State
The Chargers were set to take an offensive lineman here until Holmes slips to them. He will compliment McCardell much better than Eric Parker did and will allow Parker to move into a third receiver role. Eventually, Holmes will take over and give the Chargers the credible receiving option at WR they need.

20. Kansas City – Donte Whitner, S, Ohio State
Kansas City would probably prefer help up front, but yet another CB/S tweener is the better value here and will definitely provide much needed help for Pat Surtain in this Chiefs defensive backfield.

21. New England Patriots – Tye Hill, CB, Clemson
New England clearly needs secondary help to get back where they were. Hill is raw and will need coaching, but you can't ignore ths speed he brings to the game.

22. Denver Broncos (From Wash) – DeAngelo Williams, RB, Memphis
The DL will just have to wait with this sort of value on the board at RB. For all of the short term success at RB the team has had the past several years, they miss having consistency there. Williams will be a rock for the Broncos.

23. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Marcus McNeill, OT, Auburn
The Bucs need help on the OL, and the best way for them to improve will be to reunite McNeill with his former Tiger teammate Carnell Williams.

24. Cincinnati Bengals – Leonard Pope, TE, Georgia
As much as Marv would love to go defense with this pick, Pope is the final element of a devastating offense. The rest of the draft can be used on D.

25. New York Giants – Chad Greenway, LB, Iowa
They're a lock to pick a LB here, and they're thrilled to get Greenway this late.

26. Chicago Bears – Antonio Cromartie, CB, FSU
If not for the knee injury, he would have likely been off the board much earlier. CB is definitely a priority for this Bears team this draft. They would probably prefer a WR in the first, but nobody is worth this pick.

27. Carolina Panthers – Lendale White, RB, USC
RB isn't as pressing a need for them as it is for say the Colts, but they are awfully thin at the position and could use a bruiser like White to take the burden off of Foster. A lot has been made of White dropping, but physical skills win out over character issues this late in the first.

28. Jacksonville Jaguars – Thomas Howard, LB, UTEP
This could change if they get Arrington, but the only other really obvious direction to go in would be OG. It's possible they could go with Howard and Arrington in one offseason.

29. New York Jets (from Denver) – Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota
Maroney isn't the ideal RB for them, but they feel the need to do something about the position and know he won't last past the Colts for them to pick up in the second if they pass on him.

30. Indianapolis Colts – Gabe Watson, DT, Michigan
The Colts are considered to be intensely interested in Maroney, but Watson isn't a bad consolation prize for a team in need of beef in the trenches. This could motivate the Colts to look into trading for Williams from the Dolphins or Davis from the Texans some time after the draft.

31. Seattle Seahawks – Mathias Kiwanuka, DE, Boston College
He is just what the doctor ordered for this Seahawks team. If he weren't here, I'd project them to go after a guard to replace Hutchinson with. They might be able to handle that in the 2nd round, though.

32. Pittsburgh Steelers – Daniel Bullocks, S, Nebraska
The Steelers need a S more than they need a WR, so they narrowly choose Bullocks over Moss.

Round 2:

33. Houston Texans - Eric Winston, OT, Miami
When a team has two RBs and no offensive line, they can't pass up a LT prospect like Winston. He isn't a can't miss prospect, but the Texans had a chance at one of those in the first round and chose to pass.

34. New Orleans Saints - Nick Mangold, C, Ohio State
Mangold will provide the Saints with an answer to losing Bentley.

35. New York Jets - Manny Lawson, LB, North Carolina State
The defense needs a pass rusher now that Abraham is gone. Manny is that guy.

36. Green Bay Packers - Jonathan Joseph, CB, South Carolina
The Packers need help in the secondary if they are to stop the likes of Steve Smith and the Williamses in Detroit. Joseph is a bit of a project, but it's not like this team is going to need him to be great right from the start -- the Packers are going to be hurting for a year or two.

37. San Francisco 49ers - Sinorice Moss, WR, Miami
Moss gives them some hope of having a passing game even though he's more of a #2 receiver who moves to the slot in three receiver sets. He's definitely the guy they were looking for in this round.

38. Oakland Raiders - Roger McIntosh, LB, Miami
This has to be a pick spent on defense. McIntosh is the type of player the Raiders draft -- he's a physical specimen who doesn't always maximize that talent.

39. Tennessee Titans - D'Qwell Jackson, ILB, Maryland
The Titans take Jackson to shore up the middle of their defense. He's a smart player who, like Ryans, should improve the play of others as well.

40. Detroit Lions - DeMeco Ryans, OLB, Alabama
This move isn't ideal because it keeps Lehman inside, but Ryans is a great value here.

41. Arizona Cardinals - Brodie Croyle, QB, Alabama
Croyle will sit and watch Kurt Warner this year before taking over next year.

42. Buffalo Bills - Ashton Youboty, CB, Ohio State
He'll be the nickel guy right from the start.

43. Cleveland Browns - Claude Wroten, DT, LSU
He may be more of a 3-4 DE for the Browns.

44. Baltimore Ravens - Johnathan Scott, OT, Texas
He'll be asked to begin his career at right tackle because this Ravens team really suffered last year from the play at that position.

45. Philadelphia Eagles - Spencer Havner, OLB, UCLA
Havner is a real Andy Reid type at LB -- he's a bright guy who should make those around him better.

46. St. Louis Rams - Rodrique Wright, DT, Texas
The Rams D needs help up front, and Wright will give them just that.

47. Atlanta Falcons - Richard Marshall, CB, Fresno State
Marshall will provide for depth at CB, likely playing nickel his first season in.

48. Minnesota Vikings - Max Jean-Gilles, OG, Georgia
This pick completes their OL for next year.

49. Dallas Cowboys - Derek Hagan, WR, ASU
Hagan is a player the Cowboys hope will provide a compliment to Owens, but they may have to rely on him replacing Owens one day sooner rather than later. Owens is a bomb waiting to go off.

50. San Diego Chargers - Daryn Colledge, OT, Boise State
The Chargers really need some help on the offensive line. They don't have Houck to get great performance out of second day picks any more, and it is starting to show.

51. Minnesota Vikings (from Miami Dolphins) - Kelly Jennings, CB, Miami
Jennings, like many of these second round corners, will be pressed into service in the nickel role this year.

52. New England Patriots - Martin Nance, WR, Miami Ohio
The Patriots lost a couple of bodies at this position and need the type of player who really knows how to use his body. That's exactly what Nance does well.

53. Washington Redskins - Davin Joseph, OG, Oklahoma
Joseph is exactly what a Redskins line with basically no depth needs. He can give them some time at T in a pinch and will be a beast at either G position.

54. Kansas City Chiefs - Jonathan Lewis, DT, VPI
Lewis shores up a really bad defensive line.

55. Cincinnati Bengals - Darnell Bing, S, USC
The attention turns to building up the defense with this pick. Bing needs to improve in coverage, but he gives the Bengals everything else a team would look for in a safety.

56. New York Giants - Demetrius Williams, WR, Oregon
He's just what the Giants are after in a third WR.

57. Chicago Bears - Marcedes Lewis, TE, UCLA
Lewis will compliment Muhammad very nicely and can also handle blocking chores when necessary.

58. Carolina Panthers - Dominique Byrd, TE, USC
This gives the Panthers another option in the passing game to compliment Smith.

59. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Cedric Griffin, CB, Texas
Yet another nickel corner in the second.

60. Jacksonville Jaguars - Charles Spencer, OG, Pitt
Spencer will eventually improve the OL, though he may need a season as a reserve to really learn what is expected of him as a lineman on the next level.

61. Denver Broncos - Tamba Hali, DE, Penn State
Hali has to find the right situation because he isn't going to be able to stand up as a LB in the NFL. Denver is a natural choice to take him.

62. Indianapolis Colts - Maurice Drew, RB, UCLA
He isn't different enough from Rhodes to be ideal, but the Colts don't have any real options here. There aren't many big backs after White goes off the board.

63. Seattle Seahawks - Taitusi Lutui, OG, USC
He won't be a Hutchinson, but this has to be the best possible situation for a young OG to learn in. Jones will be at his side and Seahawk RBs Strong and Aexander will be behind him pushing through.

64. Pittsburgh Steelers - Maurice Stovall, WR, Notre Dame
The key here will be keeping the guy on a diet. The Steelers need him as a WR, not an H-back.

Bobby Carpenter for us at 16? Now you know why we are trying so hard to sign Arrington.

I'm curious to why you think Bush is a bad pick for Houston (Not that I disagree with you).

i saw in another thread JJ is for BPA, so i don't see why he'd have a problem with the texans taking bush.

Bobby Carpenter being picked ahead of Chad Greenway? I don't see that happening.

phinfan999 said:
Manny Lawson and Kelly Jennings wont drop that far IMO

It seems as if Lawson has been dropping like a stone. Although each of the draft guides I've seen has him listed as a DE, they all project him as 3-4 OLB. Each one says the same thing, too skiny and undersized (JT comparisons). They all list him as a 2nd rounder. He probably won't be listed on about handful of draft boards so he could slip into the 2nd, possibly the 3rd. Jason Taylor did.

I don't think Marcedes Lewis will fall that far, but all in all good looking Mock.

Glad to see Mangold made your mock this time around.

I still think NO takes Ferguson, they just traded Gandy.

oodolphins said:
Bobby Carpenter being picked ahead of Chad Greenway? I don't see that happening.
SEAFinFan said:
I don't think Marcedes Lewis will fall that far, but all in all good looking Mock.

Both are very possible. Greenway and Lewis both had pretty disappointing pro days.

Spray Mucus said:
Glad to see Mangold made your mock this time around.

I still think NO takes Ferguson, they just traded Gandy.

I agree

Back
Top Bottom