Joe Philbin: ‘Mentally, We’ve Got to Have a Tougher Team’ | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Joe Philbin: ‘Mentally, We’ve Got to Have a Tougher Team’

You're spot on in this regard. Joe is anything but not mentally tough. I think to many people correlate our late season failings to him being weak. I disagree I think the Wallace's, Starks, Martin, and Hartline types played a major factor in the late cohesiveness of our guys. Time will tell. I'm routing for you Joe, but if we fail to make the playoffs I'll be done with you.

I agree with you. The four players you list were a major part of the sabotage of team spirit. Suh should have the opposite effect on the team. He is already bring the defense together and helping young players reach their potential.

I've been a staunch critic of Philbin over the past year, but I'm getting the feeling he's really evolving as a coach this time around. Especially his comment about having too narrow of a focus/view during the season, and being distanced from much of the team and staff. I think he realizes now that camaraderie in Miami is vastly different than Green Bay -- it takes more effort than he figured to get everyone on the same football-minded page and play cohesively, especially when Ireland brought in guys just lookin for a sweet pay-day, or rewarding big contracts to marginal players. That's extra obstacles you as a coach have to get through to get your players hungry and team-friendly.

Not sure that will equate to a winning season and playoffs, but, having team-togetherness and rapport is something Miami has desperately needed for some time now. Maybe Joe is the one to bring it back?

Lots of talking all offseason from and about this team. This better be the year where it all comes together.

I keep saying that Joe would make a great next door neighbor....... But I still am not sold on him as an NFL HC. Furthermore, while I don't find him mentally weak, I don't think he inspires mental toughness in his team. My problem with Joe Philbin is he's strategically weak on Sunday afternoons.

Hopefully he's improved over the offseason because I'm rooting for him.

I'm really rooting for Joe. Not just because I have a vested interest in his success, but because I genuinely like the guy and I want to see him succeed. Cheers, coach Philbin. Let's get that Championship.

Excellent read. Thanks for sharing.

I root for the guy for similar reasons. And just pure selfishness in that it would be really tough for me to maintain an active interest in a team led by one of those egotistical blowhards. Of course he still has to win.

fascinating artilce, can't imagine Joe working in a prison!

As for this bit:

I could never understand why we picked Wallace over Jennings
I'm convinced that was Ireland's guy all along. I think Ireland convinced Joe that Wallace was the better choice over Jennings based on age and speed and Joe just went with it. We would have been a much better team with Jennings...better for the young WRs, better for Tannehill to have someone he could trust...better, better, better.

I am glad Joe sees this. It has been my biggest gripe about his team the last two years. Mentally weak.

And we were mentally strong before him?

This team was over loaded with week minded Jeff Ireland pics and free agents. It takes time to churn a roster, especially a roster loaded with crap like ours over the last 10 years.

Joe kept churning and now we are seeing the fruits of that labor. The bad eggs are history and busy smoking blunts and playing madden at homy (chad johnson) the clowns place.

Good on you joe!!

That was a great article. I really hope this team makes the jump to a nasty,physical, mentally tough team. I am sooooo ready to see a Dolphins Championship.

I keep saying that Joe would make a great next door neighbor....... But I still am not sold on him as an NFL HC. Furthermore, while I don't find him mentally weak, I don't think he inspires mental toughness in his team. My problem with Joe Philbin is he's strategically weak on Sunday afternoons.

Hopefully he's improved over the offseason because I'm rooting for him.

You can "inspire" toughness until the cows come home but if you dont have tough players, its all for nothing. And this team was over loaded with weekness for the past dozen years. You cant change that magnitude in one season.

Do you think ANY coach could have inspired Jonathan Martin to be tough? Or Philip Wheeler? Mike Wallace? Samson Satele? Dion Jordan?

Nope.

You can "inspire" toughness until the cows come home but if you dont have tough players, its all for nothing. And this team was over loaded with weekness for the past dozen years. You cant change that magnitude in one season.

Do you think ANY coach could have inspired Jonathan Martin to be tough? Or Philip Wheeler? Mike Wallace? Samson Satele? Dion Jordan?

Nope.

Truth. You could have Rex Ryan coach those guys for all we care, and they still wouldn't be mentally strong. Quiet coach, loud coach...doesn't matter. When players want to go solo, or don't have the attitude to be a strong football player at the NFL level, nothings going to change that.

Nope.
What about Ted Ginn? :chuckle:

Good read.
I don't see Joe as mentally weak, far from it. He is intelligent and methodical. The players like him, so that counts quite a bit.
Toughness? He will never look tough or act tough, but he can mean business when he speaks. He has the authority, which is all that matters.
In terms of game management in some crucial situations, he seems to have poor information coming from upstairs (the Williams red flag, GB time out, etc) causing him to rush into a bad decision.
I don't blame him, and I am sure the staff will get this ironed out eventually.
Building the team and staff takes time. They are still tweaking the roster and methods of operation.
I can deal with the growing pains because I see improvement.

If you can’t get to the meal on time, you’re probably not going to play Cover 2 right.

I love this quote....says so much with so little, players are going to understand this one.

I'm also rooting for the guy. As fans and as an organization, they've put in the time to let this team develop under philbin vs pulling a "Daniel Snyder", and I fully expect it to pay off. I also love a good "once maligned, now revered" type story - same reason i'm rooting for Dallas Thomas. And of course, it will all mean we are winning games if they succeed, which is what we are all after.

So queasy Joe want his team mentally tougher. Well you grow a pair Joe and they will follow.

Back
Top Bottom