Joe Philbin: ‘Mentally, We’ve Got to Have a Tougher Team’ | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Joe Philbin: ‘Mentally, We’ve Got to Have a Tougher Team’

Philbin seems like a great guy. However, my problem with him is that I hate the type of football that he wants to play. I don't care for any type of West Coast or Read Option offense, and IMO the defense has gone downhill ever since Coyle was hired. After 3 seasons with arguably better talent, Philbin's team is at the moment no better than Sparano's team.

This is a huge problem for me. I want the team to win, but I hate watching an offense that throws a 2 yard pass on 3rd and 8 expecting the WR to run for the difference. I hate watching an offense that can't (or won't?) run the ball down an opponent's throat in the final minutes of a game to hold a lead. Whatever happened to the team that automatically made first downs on 3rd or 4th and 1 with Lousaka Polite? I hate watching a lot of other teams throwing long TD passes every week or two, and sometimes more than one per game, yet Miami throws just one or two in an entire season! Don't forget a defense that gets worse against the run as the season goes on, and a secondary that plays so far off the line of scrimmage that opponents march right down the field (especially in the 4th quarter).

I really like Philbin as a man, but I don't like what he's done to the team. If the Fins do well and make the playoffs... great, I can live with that! But, if they have another collapse and choke away the playoffs yet again, then I hope Ross does the right thing and gets rid of Philbin and his staff.

‘Mentally, We’ve Got to Have a Tougher Head Coach’

This is a given, BUT, I will give it to Philbin for answering the questions in a believable and elaborating way. Don't go quesey on us this year Joe. Get the lead and go for more.

We need to be PHYSICALLY tougher on both sides of the ball!!! Our backups in the last pre season game didn't look they knew how to tackle anyone and were playing too damn soft. This is TACKLE football so fricken hit someone!!!!

I am so sick of this finesse B.S.. Just once I'd like to see one of our guys lay an opposing player out with a knockout hit. Maybe our team needs to see videos of players like Dick Butkus and Ronnie Lott. They could learn how to lay the wood on a ball carrier.

However, my problem with him is that I hate the type of football that he wants to play. I don't care for any type of West Coast or Read Option offense.

Well lucky for all of us then in that we run a WCO or a read option. :chuckle:

Joe has all the qualities of a good coach. I'd like to see a little more fire and aggressiveness at times but you have to feel really confident about your team to make those tough decisions throughout a football game. I'm confident we'll get there. Over the past two years its been up and down and I've seen us beat some really good teams. Superstars make a big difference and I feel like we finally have a couple players that can change the game by just being on the field. This year is the year.... don't believe me... just watch!

No shat we need to get mentally tougher late in games and late in the season. Gotta be able to grind out close games. That's why they paid Suh $114 mil.

"The team has to be mentally tougher."

Spoken by a man who got queasy.

Again and again. Queasy.

Then decisions based on fear.

Then losses in crucial times.

Look in the mirror, JoeQueasy.

It was the failure of players that you hand picked and stood pat with -- and still haven't learned your lesson on, evidently.

Queasy. Sad talent evaluation at key positions. OL that can't pass protect to save its life.

LB corps that should be spelled corpse.

CBs that feature Taylor and Davis as hand-picked, high drafted, anointed starters and playmakers.

But it's the players fault. Right.

LD

Well lucky for all of us then in that we run a WCO or a read option. :chuckle:

I guess this is a poke at me which is warranted. West Coast, Spread, I believe that certain plays are called read options... or whatever it's called. I admit ignorance to the exact type of offense that they're running. IMO, whatever it is that they are running is not working as I stated above:

"I want the team to win, but I hate watching an offense that throws a 2 yard pass on 3rd and 8 expecting the WR to run for the difference. I hate watching an offense that can't (or won't?) run the ball down an opponent's throat in the final minutes of a game to hold a lead. Whatever happened to the team that automatically made first downs on 3rd or 4th and 1 with Lousaka Polite? I hate watching a lot of other teams throwing long TD passes every week or two, and sometimes more than one per game, yet Miami throws just one or two in an entire season!"

If Miami's offense was good, they would have made the playoffs the last 2 years, even with the defensive collapse. Yes, I want the team to win. Yes, I like Philbin; he'd be a great neighbor. But, this team is weak and chokes under pressure. That's not all on Philbin; they've been like that for years, so evidently Philbin is NOT the guy to change that.

"The team has to be mentally tougher."

Spoken by a man who got queasy.

Again and again. Queasy.

Then decisions based on fear.

Then losses in crucial times.

Look in the mirror, JoeQueasy.

It was the failure of players that you hand picked and stood pat with -- and still haven't learned your lesson on, evidently.

Queasy. Sad talent evaluation at key positions. OL that can't pass protect to save its life.

LB corps that should be spelled corpse.

CBs that feature Taylor and Davis as hand-picked, high drafted, anointed starters and playmakers.

But it's the players fault. Right.

LD

I think he's talking directly to that other guy he hand picked. For instance, when its week 17 and the playoffs are on the line you don't slide feet first a yard short of the first down...

Thats as "mentally weak" as it gets.

I find it funny that I always killed Joe for never getting "his guys" in the locker room. Happy to see four years in he feels the need to do that.

You really think it took Philbin four years to figure that out? :bobdole:

It's the NFL, not a video game or a fantasy football redraft that happens every year. It takes time to turn over a roster and instill the culture you want in a team. And it takes a staff that is on the same page and has the same vision together, which was obvious that wasn't the case in Coach Joe's first year with Ireland. We should all be glad Ross has had the patience to build the FO the way he has, in the same way we should be thankful we finally have a FO that is building the team in the same manner.

The ghost of Vince Lombardi was heard saying "You gotta block, you gotta tackle, in the fourth quarter you gotta want it more than the other guy. Winning isn't everything, it is the only thing."

In other news General George Patton's ghost chimed in "Your job isn't to die for your country. Your job is to make that other guy die for his country."

You really think it took Philbin four years to figure that out? :bobdole:

It's the NFL, not a video game or a fantasy football redraft that happens every year. It takes time to turn over a roster and instill the culture you want in a team. And it takes a staff that is on the same page and has the same vision together, which was obvious that wasn't the case in Coach Joe's first year with Ireland. We should all be glad Ross has had the patience to build the FO the way he has, in the same way we should be thankful we finally have a FO that is building the team in the same manner.

His first year he should have had guys that knew him and were "his guys" in the locker room.

I do not have the stomach to re-do "was it Ireland"/ "was it Joe" BS.

Reading this interview it is alarming that Joe has just figured out some of these things in terms of being a HC.

Bottom line: Joe has had PLENTY of chances to get this team over the hump. Mr. Ross has given him the resources and time to figure it out. He is on the spot this year to have a winning season and get in the playoffs.

We shall see.

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

This season is not on Ross. It is not on Tannenbaum. Not on Suh. Not on Tannehill. It is on Joe.

This season is not on Ross. It is not on Tannenbaum. Not on Suh. Not on Tannehill. It is on Joe.

The consequences of failure are all on Joe but I think most can agree that the team's success is far more dependent on the health and performance of a few key players than whatever motivational or organizational prowess Philbin demonstrates. The first and foremost being Tannehill. His ascension or decline is what defines this team.

Back
Top Bottom