Joe Philbin: ‘Mentally, We’ve Got to Have a Tougher Team’ | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Joe Philbin: ‘Mentally, We’ve Got to Have a Tougher Team’

The consequences of failure are all on Joe but I think most can agree that the team's success is far more dependent on the health and performance of a few key players than whatever motivational or organizational prowess Philbin demonstrates. The first and foremost being Tannehill. His ascension or decline is what defines this team.

I am done with excuses for Joe. His team had opportunities the past two seasons to get in the playoffs which in turn would have kept him off of the hot seat.

His teams have choked in big spots. Get it done.

Good read.
I don't see Joe as mentally weak, far from it. He is intelligent and methodical. The players like him, so that counts quite a bit.
Toughness? He will never look tough or act tough, but he can mean business when he speaks. He has the authority, which is all that matters.
In terms of game management in some crucial situations, he seems to have poor information coming from upstairs (the Williams red flag, GB time out, etc) causing him to rush into a bad decision.
I don't blame him, and I am sure the staff will get this ironed out eventually.
Building the team and staff takes time. They are still tweaking the roster and methods of operation.
I can deal with the growing pains because I see improvement.
boy I hope you are right. Agree on the challenge in the last game. But the GB timeout after we had just put Rogers on the ground 3 straight plays and GB was out of time outs, running around like chickens w heads cut off - I can't understand that decision. It had to come from the coach it all happened so fast. Momentum is one of those unmeasurable things you have to have a feel for - I don't think Joe has a good feel for it. We've had some questionable long FG tries that gave momentum back to the other team etc but I may be nit-picking. I just don't get the sense he has the intangibles / feel for how to use "momentum" to his advantage. Take a look at BB and how he said his gut told him Not to call TO at the end of the SB. It put more pressure on Seattle who were surprised that he didn't call it. I know all they had to do was hand the ball off to the beast man but point is they choked because the other head coach just felt the moment out better IMO. No right or wrong / this stuff is not really measurable - it's an "it" thing which I just don't think the guy has.

Back
Top Bottom