Joe Philbin: ‘Mentally, We’ve Got to Have a Tougher Team’ | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Joe Philbin: ‘Mentally, We’ve Got to Have a Tougher Team’

Sons Of Shula

not a dull boy
☠️ Banned ☠️
Club Member
Reaction score
Smegma

fluff_heaven_baby_carriers_logo.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really rooting for Joe. Not just because I have a vested interest in his success, but because I genuinely like the guy and I want to see him succeed. Cheers, coach Philbin. Let's get that Championship.

Excellent read. Thanks for sharing.

There's something to be said for doing it the right way, with the right kind of guys. Hard to say if you can actually win it all with that being THE priority, but Joe got his guys and so far it's looking good.

If you watch player interviews, there's a significant difference from previous years. The team as a whole is incredibly thoughtful, mature, well-spoken, and good-natured/unselfish. Kenny Stills just retweeted a Ted talk for Pete's sake and asked for feedback on it. Huh?? Who are these people?

That all being said, it remains to be seen if a bunch of these kinds of players can form an effective O-line, or turn up the tenacity when needed.

fascinating artilce, can't imagine Joe working in a prison!

As for this bit:

Like Greg Jennings is someone who I wish I had earlier as I look back on things. Because he knows me, and I know him

I could never understand why we picked Wallace over Jennings

Fans: "we have got to have a mentally tougher head coach".

to me this means not panicking if the guards are playing like crap.....just make adjustments and know your offense is more talented than last year - and that you have a defense that can be dominant.

I'm really rooting for Joe. Not just because I have a vested interest in his success, but because I genuinely like the guy and I want to see him succeed. Cheers, coach Philbin. Let's get that Championship.

Excellent read. Thanks for sharing.
Yea personality wise he is my kind of coach, idk why people dislike him so much for off field stuff

I am glad Joe sees this. It has been my biggest gripe about his team the last two years. Mentally weak.

Yea personality wise he is my kind of coach, idk why people dislike him so much for off field stuff

Because people want to blame something...and the coach is an easy target...especially one who is "rah, rah"

"Mentally we have to have a tougher team".. It all starts with the HC Joe

Not sure why people blast Philbin for being weak mentally. Jesus, the guy lost a son and then went right to work as his first time as an nfl head coach without having a lot of pieces in place on that team. I've never seen him break from the plan, tweak it in the offseason, but not break. It takes mental toughness to know that there will be some challenges along the way, but by developing your young QB right and building a team the right way sustained success will follow.

The mental toughness thing has been a problem for a while even before Joe got here. How many times did we have leads and you could see the game starting to turn and we needed a play or two from someone to turn it aroud on offense or defense? They just didnt come that often.

Hope Joe also shows toughness also with some of the choices he makes, lets show confidence on 3rd and 2 4th and 1 sometimes. It doesnt have to be all the time but depedning on the game situation - install confidence in the players also. Its about the confidence in your team that you show also by decisions you make.

Not sure why people blast Philbin for being weak mentally. Jesus, the guy lost a son and then went right to work as his first time as an nfl head coach without having a lot of pieces in place on that team. I've never seen him break from the plan, tweak it in the offseason, but not break. It takes mental toughness to know that there will be some challenges along the way, but by developing your young QB right and building a team the right way sustained success will follow.

You're spot on in this regard. Joe is anything but not mentally tough. I think to many people correlate our late season failings to him being weak. I disagree I think the Wallace's, Starks, Martin, and Hartline types played a major factor in the late cohesiveness of our guys. Time will tell. I'm routing for you Joe, but if we fail to make the playoffs I'll be done with you.

fascinating artilce, can't imagine Joe working in a prison!

As for this bit:

I could never understand why we picked Wallace over Jennings

If you take that whole paragraph...

You’ve also got to get the right guys in there. Like Greg Jennings is someone who I wish I had earlier as I look back on things. Because he knows me, and I know him. You’ve gotta have your kind of guys. And some guys can be successful other places, and that’s OK. And some guys aren’t my cup of tea, and I’m not their cup of tea, and that’s OK. Some guys want a coach that’s more active on the sideline, and I have no problem with that. But I know that I have been coaching for 32 years, and I’ve had some success, and I know how I can do it can work with the right guys. It’s not the only way to do it, but it’s the way I’m going to do it. I can’t be somebody else. I've got to be serious and boring and all that stuff. But it’s not going to work if I have to try to coach like some other guy. I can’t figure that out. It’s too hard. This game is not that hard, I really don’t think it is. I have to be myself, and I’m gonna be myself, and I think that’s good enough. I think it will work—with the right guys. Some guys it just doesn't work with. And that doesn't make them bad guys. They could be good guys for somebody else, they could be great for somebody else, and that’s OK. I’m fine with that.

Great interview!! Thanks for posting.

It sounds like he really has looked in the mirror.

I am all in with Coach!! Lets win baby! Sept 13 cant get here fast enough.

Back
Top Bottom