Joe Philbin's Game Management | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Joe Philbin's Game Management

COACHINGKevin Coyle has done great work preparing his unit when it was without its second-best cornerback. The Bengals were not able to take advantage. Offensively, Mike Sherman again continued to call pass plays late in the game instead of running the football to burn clock. Yes, the pass connected. Yes, the run would have been against eight-man fronts. But he looked silly when Charles Clay ran out of bounds on the pass he caught, giving the Bengals 1:45 to possibly win the game.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/10/07/3039552/grading-the-miami-dolphins-vs.html

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/10/07/3039552/grading-the-miami-dolphins-vs.html#storylink=cpy
As much as you mock the local media, you decide to post an article to support your opinion. Pretty pathetic.

there's no issue with that play call in that situation...it's a safe pass where if the bengals load the box to stop the run clay has a real shot at getting a first down...it also gives tanny a run pass option if he feels he can pick it up with his legs...the issue is that freaking clay doesn't have the situational awareness to know that the one thing he can't do is go out of bounds and stop the damn clock on that play...i bet sherman was thru the roof livid when clay did that...and i bet he's getting an ass chewing today over it...i'm sure that the players were also told stay in bounds no matter what during the 2 minute stoppage and clay blew it...can only hold these pros hands so damn much...

even tannehill after threw his hands up in the air like "are you kidding me???"

I'll probably give Joe Philbin a full season before we could assess if he is a good coach or not... Remember that even he is an offensive coordinator of the packers it is still his first time as a HC of a NFL team...

I'm about as passionately pro-animal protection as anyone, but after reading some of this tripe, even I feel like finding and stomping a gopher (preferably one with golden blonde fur).

I was ok with the playcall, but I thought they should of just run it up inside and punted . . . . I love the progress we have been making but I'm not ready to say we should throw the ball in that situation w/ the limited experience we have with our playmakers and expect them to do the right thing. Don't get me wrong, Clay should of known not to go out of bounds or atleast gave it an even better effort to get the first, but what if Clay drops the pass? That stops the clock also . . . and I guess then in addition to Clay we would be blaming the coaching staff there also. I dunno . . . you probably get them inside the 10 yard line after the punt with 1:10 left and they have no timeouts and need 90 yards . . . . thank goodness it all worked out.

I also thought kicking a 53 yarder was a mistake and said that in the chatroom when it happened. It's low percentage to send a struggling kicker with 50+ yarders in swirling winds and think he's going to make that. I understand building confidence, that wasn't the situation to do it in . . . that is a tough kick for alot of kickers in that situation. You know how to build confidence. Let him kick a few 40 yarders and have a 2/2 game or a 3/3 game and then work him back into the long range stuff. Sure, I understand that in the NFL you need kickers who can make those type of kicks, all I'm saying is that wasn't the situation to do it in and we had IMO better options (punt or even go for it). It's not like getting 3 there made it a 3 score game . . . the consequences of missing were greater than the reward of making it.

I thought Philbin coached a good game though, he was all on top of the challenges, and should have won every single one but got screwed by the refs. Sherman's not playing with a full deck, you have to understand he has to play it conservative sometimes with this group. It's a young group that needs to run the ball to take pressure of Tannehill. Tannehill is a beast under the blitz, but part of the reason for that is because we run the ball alot. Sherman still lets Ryan air it out plenty, and thats something we didn't see with Sparano at all. Coyle clearly knew Andy Dalton's limitations and used that as a strength in this game.

I don't think it is fair to say Philbin "isn't" a gameday coach . . . in fact, I think that is a ridiculous notion. He's a rookie head coach who will make mistakes during the season, but that mistakes don't = incompetence.

As much as you mock the local media, you decide to post an article to support your opinion. Pretty pathetic.

I rip Omar Kelly with a splash of Adam Beasley. Good job discussing the issues...nah, pretty pathetic.

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 AM ----------

I'm about as passionately pro-animal protection as anyone, but after reading some of this tripe, even I feel like finding and stomping a gopher (preferably one with golden blonde fur).

Classy.

OK.

I did not have the game on TV and was following the play-by-play on NFL.com. I posted VOCIFEROUSLY immediately after the Clay play that they should run the ball instead. GRANTED that you are facing an 8-man front.... still at that point of the game, the CLOCK is who you are facing, not necessarily the defense and its set. The SAFEST option is to run on 3rd down, with the bunglers out of TO, that means you pin them back with a minute and VERY few seconds left. IF the "open" pass gets dropped, you give them 40 sec. more. IF THAT PASS IS NEVER THROWN, Clay can't be an idiot and run out of bounds. If he stays in bounds it accomplishes about what the run would have, maybe you gain 2-3 more yards field position... but I am not watching the game live and I can't see that.

BY THE NUMBERS, the safe play is to run on 3rd down and tick, tock, tick, tock half of the remaining time away.

For ONCE I agree with Hayden Fox, but I still think scam and russell wilson are posers.

I don't see how you can deny the play calling has been a little too aggressive at times. We were in fg range in ot against jets, instead of trying to gain a few extra yards to get closer for a fg we're throwing risky deep balls looking for a td and gain no extra yards and end up missing a 48 yarder. 2nd and 8 in zona territory with under 3 minutes left up by 7, that was a ridiculous call to pass there and to me that play cost us the game. Yesterday the 53 yarder was too risky, should have pinned them deep, completely changed momemtum of the game. And I blame clay for going out of bounds more than the play call, but that's the risk u take when u call for a pass in that situation. I'm all for aggressive play calling, but not when its bordering on stupid and simple run plays are all you need.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

I don't see how you can deny the play calling has been a little too aggressive at times. We were in fg range in ot against jets, instead of trying to gain a few extra yards to get closer for a fg we're throwing risky deep balls looking for a td and gain no extra yards and end up missing a 48 yarder. 2nd and 8 in zona territory with under 3 minutes left up by 7, that was a ridiculous call to pass there and to me that play cost us the game. Yesterday the 53 yarder was too risky, should have pinned them deep, completely changed momemtum of the game. And I blame clay for going out of bounds more than the play call, but that's the risk u take when u call for a pass in that situation. I'm all for aggressive play calling, but not when its bordering on stupid and simple run plays are all you need.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

After years of conservative Wanny-Ball, followed up by the more recent Sparano-play-not-to-lose strategy, I'm surprised anyone would bemoan going for the kill. If you want Tannehill to mature into a Brady-esque QB, you make him play that way. Top teams and top QBs go for the kill more often than not. I'm personally OK with taking some risks. You don't become great by playing it safe. You bet big, you win big...

I was ok with the playcall, but I thought they should of just run it up inside and punted . . . . I love the progress we have been making but I'm not ready to say we should throw the ball in that situation w/ the limited experience we have with our playmakers and expect them to do the right thing. Don't get me wrong, Clay should of known not to go out of bounds or atleast gave it an even better effort to get the first, but what if Clay drops the pass? That stops the clock also . . . and I guess then in addition to Clay we would be blaming the coaching staff there also. I dunno . . . you probably get them inside the 10 yard line after the punt with 1:10 left and they have no timeouts and need 90 yards . . . . thank goodness it all worked out.
This is the thinking that got the previous regime fired. They had no balls and no trust in their players.

I also thought kicking a 53 yarder was a mistake and said that in the chatroom when it happened. It's low percentage to send a struggling kicker with 50+ yarders in swirling winds and think he's going to make that. I understand building confidence, that wasn't the situation to do it in . . . that is a tough kick for alot of kickers in that situation. You know how to build confidence. Let him kick a few 40 yarders and have a 2/2 game or a 3/3 game and then work him back into the long range stuff. Sure, I understand that in the NFL you need kickers who can make those type of kicks, all I'm saying is that wasn't the situation to do it in and we had IMO better options (punt or even go for it). It's not like getting 3 there made it a 3 score game . . . the consequences of missing were greater than the reward of making it.
If you can't trust a kicker to kick a 50yd field goal there's no way he should be on the team. There's no time to work a kicker back, it's only a 16 game season. Kickers have limited opportunities and if they shank too many of them they need to go. You're limiting yourself in the play calling aspect if you carry an unreliable kicker on the team too long. And you don't want to limit yourself. Carpenter has to go. Period.

I am not a conservative guy by nature. I feel giving the ball to your best players is how to win. Hand the ball to Bush in such a situation.

run the ball up the middle on 3rd and like 8...that's called playing not to lose instead of playing to win...you would think people around here would have gotten their fill of that with the last head coach and coordinator etc but i guess not...

Also let these players get used to playing to win instead of conservative Sparano ball. The more confident they get in converting 3rd downs late in game via the pass, the more success they'll have. I have no issues with the late game play selection except the 50 + yard field goal attempt. I loved that call to clay on 3rd. It was a good call and clay was moronic for going out of bounds. But like I said, the more experience they have in those situations the better. I bet clay doesn't run out of bounds again

This is the thinking that got the previous regime fired. They had no balls and no trust in their players.

If you can't trust a kicker to kick a 50yd field goal there's no way he should be on the team. There's no time to work a kicker back, it's only a 16 game season. Kickers have limited opportunities and if they shank too many of them they need to go. You're limiting yourself in the play calling aspect if you carry an unreliable kicker on the team too long. And you don't want to limit yourself. Carpenter has to go. Period.

There is a difference between having no balls and playing smart . . . throwing the ball where A. A player drops the pass and stops the clock or B. Runs out of bounds . . . where it's 4th down with 35 extra seconds on the clock and now we punt it into the endzone because we came up 2 yards short IMO isn't the smartest move there. It's great that coach is showing confidence in his players in that situation and you know what, I like seeing that, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was the best call in that situation. They needed a touchdown, not a FG.

Saying Carpenter has to go is quite easy when you don't know who they are bringing in and how they will fare. I"m not saying the guy should get a free ride, but to dismiss him so easily is a mistake. He has made some big kicks for us in the past and he is going through a little funk . . . that wasn't the easiest kick and its getting magnified because of his early struggles. Truth is . . . it was another low percentage kick and I personally didn't like the call to go for it there, but for those expecting that we can cut Dan and pick up RoboKicker like its nothing, what can I tell u, you guys are set in your ways and that is perfectly fine.

run the ball up the middle on 3rd and like 8...that's called playing not to lose instead of playing to win...you would think people around here would have gotten their fill of that with the last head coach and coordinator etc but i guess not...

When you have arguably the best punter in the game and 35 less seconds on the clock and a defense playing the way it has been playing and the other team with no timeouts . . . I don't think it would have been a bad call. This isn't 2009 against the Colts where we ran it up the middle instead of going for the kill on thrid down only to see Peyton Manning with 3 minutes score a TD on us. This would have gotten us to one minute to play, ball inside the 10 with Andy Dalton leading the charge, needing a TD with no timeouts.

Back
Top Bottom