Joe Thuney? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Joe Thuney?

If Thuney plays on his tag and then walks next year... patriots would be in line for a 3rd round comp pick.

Most I'd offer is a three... or kindley straight up.

My read is that we spent the money budgeted for a free agent Guard when we signed Ereck Flowers. OK, Joe Thuney is better than Flowers but with the Patriots franchise tagging Thuney, it enabled us to swoop in and sign Kyle Van Noy (they couldn't keep both) and Van Noy is Flores' boy. Belichick was effectively snookered. He had big time salary cap issues with the dead cap money from Brady departing and he's got money now tied up with Thuney franchise tagged ($14M). The Patriots are generally very good at managing the salary cap and not overpaying but the Brady exit that they had never had to worry about, they were suddenly in hell and no wriggle room. Finally, the chickens had come home to roost (and Tom Brady is smiling in the corner).
We still have some money up our sleeve and the Patriots seem reluctant to sign Thuney to a long term deal. We are actually in the power position to negotiate a favorable trade (ie say offer only a 4th round pick) if we still want Thuney (who would probably expect big money guaranteed on a long term deal). However, as I said upfront, the money we budgeted for the position was spent on Flowers. I think we sit pat.

Last edited:
At this point we have 3 guaranteed starters--OT Jesse Davis, OG Ereck Flowers, and OC Ted Karras. Still not sure which side each will play, and it's an outside possibility they might slide Karras to guard, but since he knows the system and is a veteran, I suspect he starts at OC. Michael Deiter, Shaq Calhoun, Evan Boehm, Danny Isadora, Julie'n Davenport, etc., will all be thrown into the mixer with the rookies and whomever shows the most the earliest will play the remaining two spots up front. IMHO, there will be fierce competition and a very low talent bar. Don't be surprised if the guys who win those competitions look bad in the regular season.

I liked Deiter coming out, but he had a rough rookie season, and he didn't solidify his starting spot towards the end of the season, so all bets are off. If I had to guess, I'd guess that the likely OG starter would be Solomon Kindley at RG, as he may need to learn the system, but he's a sound and stout player already. We're really lacking in talent at OT.

Jackson may be a very good player ... but he was just rounding back into football shape the latter part of last season, and physically, he's both young and developing. Technically, he's both rusty and a bit raw. He will not be ready to start in 2020.

Hunt looks the part of an OT, but honestly, I see him as an OG. Typically, the run-heavy guard is the RG, but since we have a left handed QB rehabbing in the wings, I would think that if Hunt wins the guard spot it will be at LG, which will get Fitzmagic killed, but the team may be willing to use Fitzmagic as a crash test dummy so Hunt can improve before Tua needs to play. That would mean Ereck Flowers would play RG, and he's just on a 2 year deal.

I expected us to draft a future OC to replace Karras next year ... but we didn't. So, maybe the team phases Deiter or Boehm into the OC position for next year.

In the end, you need 3 OT's in this league, and we have 1 ... Jesse Davis. Ereck Flowers cannot play OT, and he's more ready than Jackson, and flat out better at OT than Hunt. Isadora, Deiter, Boehm, Calhoun ... none of those guys can play OT. I was hoping we would trade up from 18 into the 12-14 range and snag one of those elite OT's, but it didn't happen. A trade could happen ... but it will not be for Thuney.

At this point we have 3 guaranteed starters--OT Jesse Davis, OG Ereck Flowers, and OC Ted Karras. Still not sure which side each will play, and it's an outside possibility they might slide Karras to guard, but since he knows the system and is a veteran, I suspect he starts at OC. Michael Deiter, Shaq Calhoun, Evan Boehm, Danny Isadora, Julie'n Davenport, etc., will all be thrown into the mixer with the rookies and whomever shows the most the earliest will play the remaining two spots up front. IMHO, there will be fierce competition and a very low talent bar. Don't be surprised if the guys who win those competitions look bad in the regular season.

I liked Deiter coming out, but he had a rough rookie season, and he didn't solidify his starting spot towards the end of the season, so all bets are off. If I had to guess, I'd guess that the likely OG starter would be Solomon Kindley at RG, as he may need to learn the system, but he's a sound and stout player already. We're really lacking in talent at OT.

Jackson may be a very good player ... but he was just rounding back into football shape the latter part of last season, and physically, he's both young and developing. Technically, he's both rusty and a bit raw. He will not be ready to start in 2020.

Hunt looks the part of an OT, but honestly, I see him as an OG. Typically, the run-heavy guard is the RG, but since we have a left handed QB rehabbing in the wings, I would think that if Hunt wins the guard spot it will be at LG, which will get Fitzmagic killed, but the team may be willing to use Fitzmagic as a crash test dummy so Hunt can improve before Tua needs to play. That would mean Ereck Flowers would play RG, and he's just on a 2 year deal.

I expected us to draft a future OC to replace Karras next year ... but we didn't. So, maybe the team phases Deiter or Boehm into the OC position for next year.

In the end, you need 3 OT's in this league, and we have 1 ... Jesse Davis. Ereck Flowers cannot play OT, and he's more ready than Jackson, and flat out better at OT than Hunt. Isadora, Deiter, Boehm, Calhoun ... none of those guys can play OT. I was hoping we would trade up from 18 into the 12-14 range and snag one of those elite OT's, but it didn't happen. A trade could happen ... but it will not be for Thuney.
Good points - note Evan Boehm is no longer a Dolphin - on April 16 he signed with Buffalo. Also Grier made the comment the other day that Robert Hunt was drafted to play OT.

Last edited:
One more thought on Hunt at RT.

We signed Flowers to start at one Guard position (likely left), and drafted Kindley to grow into the other starting Guard spot while Deiter holds him off.

They are not seeing Hunt move inside unless he fails... if they thought he was a Guard, they would not have drafted Kindley.

If they can get him for a second or third round pick, they should certainly trade for him. He is still young and a proven high quality player at a need for the Dolphins. While the Dolphins drafted some offensive linemen, none of them have played a down in the NFL so they are all huge question marks at the time.

If they are going to use cap space to sign players, using it to pay one of the top offensive lineman in the league makes perfect sense to me.

Back
Top Bottom