Joe Tryon | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Joe Tryon

Kebo

I'm your huckleberry
Club Member
Reaction score
This guy is interesting. He looks like the best pass rushing 3-4 OLB in the draft to me. Ojulari doesn’t have his size. I haven’t heard much hype about him. I think he is a low first, high second type talent.

I have been eyeing him in R2 for Miami.

Seems like a perfect fit for their hybrid defensive fronts.

He has rushed off the edge standing up and as a DE and as you said he has the kind of size they are looking for.

Found this while looking for information on the KC Chiefs.....

Joe Tryon - EDGE, Washington

By the numbers:

6'5", 262 pounds.

2019: 41 tackles (12.5 for loss), eight sacks in 13 games. Opted out of 2020 season.

Positives:

Washington's Joe Tryon projects as a hybrid-style pass-rusher capable of playing a 3-4 outside linebacker or 4-3 defensive end role. He possesses a good first step and welcomes initial contact with very active hands that are placed well on most reps. His counter moves are diverse, as he can win with rip-throughs, spin moves and even the occasional swim move. The overall effectiveness of those counters is questionable, but the fundamentals are there.

Tryon is a lengthy player who doesn't allow offensive linemen to put a stronghold on him. He keeps his upper body relatively clean and is a good athlete who overcomes having just merely solid strength. His closing and pursuit speed comes in handy when going after opposing quarterbacks or running backs.

Negatives:

The biggest issue with Tryon's game is whether or not things will slow down for him in the NFL. He needs to get better at reading and reacting to what the offense is showing him if he wants to win consistently at the next level. It sometimes seems as if Tryon makes up his mind presnap in regards to what his plan of attack is. Diversifying that plan and becoming a dynamic threat will help a ton.

While Tryon has several counters to choose from, knowing which ones to use in different situations — and in succession — is paramount. Having that benefit will show up in improved block-shedding against both the run and pass. Opting out of the 2020 campaign may have hurt his draft stock a bit and with limited tape, teams have to assess him based on what they saw in 2019.

Final Thoughts:

Tryon's upside is undeniable. He has the length, explosiveness and athletic profile that teams hold in high regard this time of year. With that said, his processing leaves a bit to be desired. As soon as he gets acclimated to the NFL and rounds out his overall game, he has the potential to be very valuable. Athletic testing will be the key to improving his draft stock due to sitting out this past season, but Tryon is a solid bet to be a Day 2 pick. He grades out as a likely late second-round or early third-round selection.

Read More: Arrowhead Report's 100 Players in 100 Days: A Kansas City Chiefs Draft Guide.

His tape looks good and I thought he stood out in the Senior Bowl practices that I saw.

I was impressed watching him in Pac 12 action last year, and was hoping he'd fall through the cracks to us at rd 3-5. Oh well, the Senior bowl destroyed that idea. I think edge rushers are relatively weak at the top, but there's some good depth. Maybe there always is...

I was impressed watching him in Pac 12 action last year, and was hoping he'd fall through the cracks to us at rd 3-5. Oh well, the Senior bowl destroyed that idea. I think edge rushers are relatively weak at the top, but there's some good depth. Maybe there always is...
I agree there is a lot of depth at the position if not any star power.

This guy is interesting. He looks like the best pass rushing 3-4 OLB in the draft to me. Ojulari doesn’t have his size. I haven’t heard much hype about him. I think he is a low first, high second type talent.
I'm a fan...in Simulated mocks, he's avail third round.

I mostly get disappointed with the guy.

In 2019 he got shut down by the guy who showed a knack for exposing NFL pretenders. Brady Christensen shut down Bradlee Anae and Curtis Weaver in 2019, but also shut down Joe Tryon.

Only guy I've ever seen beat Christensen is Payton Turner, which probably speaks well of Turner (who, to be fair, has a body that would probably be deemed well endowed even at the NFL level).

Most often when I watch Tryon, I'm disappointed, expected more.

Back
Top Bottom