Joey or Daunte | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Joey or Daunte

BLITZKRIEG said:
I can't speak for anyone else here, but I can't wait to see what Saban chooses to do in regards to the QB situation. It will also be interesting to see how Ricky looks within the current system as compared to Brown....

I can't wait for the off-season to get here....

PHINZ RULE!!!!!

At the risk of hijacking this thread; I'm with you on the Ricky issue. I know he's unpopular with some, but I think he's a good fit. He's already stated he doesn't feel the need to be the feature back. Ronnie will have another year's experience under his belt, too.

nick1 said:
no I don't but he won't take a pay cut, thats why he left Minnesota. Harrington might take one, neither of them should get much money if you ask me. maybe if they play better

If Daunte really wants to be in South Florida (we he has said he does), he could take a pay cut. I believe Daunte when he says he wants to be a 'team player' and has relished the opportunity to bring the Dolphins back into prominence. He need only look to Jason and Zach and their pay sacrifices (cuts, restructures) in an attempt to keep a winner on the Dolphins' sidelines.

Let's give Daunte a chance, OK?

DolfanDonny said:
If Daunte really wants to be in South Florida (we he has said he does), he could take a pay cut.

Let's give him a chance, OK?
definitely give him a chance but I'm frustrated that we don't draft our own QBs, the best QBs in the league where drafted by their teams. teams usually don't let go good QBs

nick1 said:
definitely give him a chance but I'm frustrated that we don't draft our own QBs, the best QBs in the league where drafted by their teams. teams usually don't let go good QBs

That is why we should give Daunte a chance. They let him go and he is a good QB. Look at how their offense and QB is doing. Not so good.

He is under contract & he 'might' recover and return to his probowl form, who knows?

I think he definitely will get to compete for the job, but he won't be given the same benefit of the doubt he was given this year. Just look at the Saban quote in the paper:

''If [Culpepper] was still better than everybody we had, I would say he's the best player or we wouldn't put him in there,'' Saban said. ``We would make that assessment based on what's in front of us, not some speculation

That's far from the ringing endorsement he was given earlier this year....

tcdrover said:
He is under contract & he 'might' recover and return to his probowl form, who knows?

I think he definitely will get to compete for the job, but he won't be given the same benefit of the doubt he was given this year. Just look at the Saban quote in the paper:

''If [Culpepper] was still better than everybody we had, I would say he's the best player or we wouldn't put him in there,'' Saban said. ``We would make that assessment based on what's in front of us, not some speculation

That's far from the ringing endorsement he was given earlier this year....
thats great a coach should never be biased towards a player, put the best players on the field period. that was Wanny's main downfall

nick1 said:

Maybe not usually; but right now Brees is playing lights out.

the guy that wins the job in camp, not the one that is given it

I'm going to make a bold prediction right now that next year Nick Saban will increase the workload for both quarterbacks, in a split, and say that his reasoning is that the way things happened last year, if the same happens this year and we have an injury we want to make sure we've got two guys that have rapport with the offensive players instead of one.

When asked if they are in an open competition Nick Saban will say stuff like "Well, the best guy is going to play no matter what." and he will act like the media are idiots for pretending that this "competition, i guess if you want to call it that" is any kind of a big deal whatsoever.

When asked specifically about Daunte he will say "When Daunte is healthy and able to play Daunte Culpepper football, he is our starter" and he will just refuse to answer questions about whether Daunte is now or will ever be "healthy and able to play Daunte Culpepper football".

If I had a dollar for every time he utters the words, "In this league, you need two quarterbacks, not just one" then I will be a rich man.

And, in a way...he'll be right for acting like everyone are idiots for making a big deal out of it. Because, it will be what it will be. Daunte will be healthier, he already looked like our best quarterback in camp even with a lame leg, pretty much all the players and coaches were in agreement about that...he'll be the starter until/unless something happens. What that 'something' is, is anyone's guess.

The next three games, with Joey starting, will help with that decision. If Joey can get past the "dumb play" he has had for most games of his career, then he could be an effective starter in Miami.

He would be a stronger armed version of what Wanny wanted, the management QB who won't hurt the team and lets the running game and defense do the heavy lifting.

I could live with that, if it means being a playoff team again.

Now, compare that to the upside of a Culpepper. At his best, a dynamic playmaker at QB, a threat to pass deep or run. Can Dante regain that next year, when he gets fully healthy? Or would Joey be the safer option?

Unless someone offers up a second rounder for either QB, I think you go into training camp with both and see what happens.

BTW, I'd love to see Ricky back. Yeah, you can't rely on him fully, but he would be awesome off the bench as a #2 RB and probably be closer to a 1A and 1B with Brown. Sounds good to me.

:dolphins:

Dolfan984 said:
Open competition

couple of points: I'm sure Chris doesn't speak for Marty, who's been catching a lot of balls. Also, they're not the coaches. They don't decide. When did he say this anyway? A few weeks ago. Winning changes a lot of minds. If Chambers finishes strong he will change his mind.

ckparrothead said:
I'm going to make a bold prediction right now that next year Nick Saban will increase the workload for both quarterbacks, in a split, and say that his reasoning is that the way things happened last year, if the same happens this year and we have an injury we want to make sure we've got two guys that have rapport with the offensive players instead of one.

When asked if they are in an open competition Nick Saban will say stuff like "Well, the best guy is going to play no matter what." and he will act like the media are idiots for pretending that this "competition, i guess if you want to call it that" is any kind of a big deal whatsoever.

When asked specifically about Daunte he will say "When Daunte is healthy and able to play Daunte Culpepper football, he is our starter" and he will just refuse to answer questions about whether Daunte is now or will ever be "healthy and able to play Daunte Culpepper football".

If I had a dollar for every time he utters the words, "In this league, you need two quarterbacks, not just one" then I will be a rich man.

And, in a way...he'll be right for acting like everyone are idiots for making a big deal out of it. Because, it will be what it will be. Daunte will be healthier, he already looked like our best quarterback in camp even with a lame leg, pretty much all the players and coaches were in agreement about that...he'll be the starter until/unless something happens. What that 'something' is, is anyone's guess.

I respectfully disagree with you. If they thought Culpeper looked better in camp, then clearly an error in judgement was made. This includes the fans and your truly. In camp with a lame leg is a far cry from regular season with a lame leg as we all painfully witnessed. Objectively speaking, CPep is a far cry from being on Harrington's level right now. I'm not sure that's going to change too much, either

Back
Top Bottom