John Beck Draft Redux... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

John Beck Draft Redux...

DJRoss

Starter
Reaction score
Here is a reminder of why the Dolphins picked John Beck, and why he was so highly thought of...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MflFK7Q0o9E

Now pay close attention to Jaworski's comments regarding how the best QB's go through their progressions and will check down to keep the chains moving. Interesting concept and something that I think has been missing from the debate on Becks value.

Why is Beck checking down as much as he has? Why is this behavior considered a weakness on his part vs actually smart play by a savvy QB? The Blogosphere camp reporting made it a point to place this part of his game as a huge weakness. This IMO shows more the lack of insight as to what is going on during each play. Beck was a master of seeing the field and going through his progressions and taking what was available. The fact that he checks down so much during practice IMO has more to do with the reality that Miami's receiving corp last and so far this year suffered from:

1. Getting jammed at the line
2. Not finishing or being taken off of their routes
3. Not acheiving separation
4. Dropping balls.

So as a QB, do I force the ball into coverage even though I know that the guy is not going to get open, the guy will most likely bobble, tip or drop the ball and thus waste a down or cause a turnover, or I will get picked because the 3 guys covering are on him like glue? The check down keeps the chains moving. Now thrown in an enemic running game and voila you have the makings of a disaster. The fact that John had trouble syncing with his center on the bulk of his fumbles and the chain of bad things escalating out of control certainly makes him an easy target of criticism.

All this IMO means that trading Beck might do allot more for Beck than it would do for the Dolphins. Why?

1. What kind of trade value does he really possess at this point? I am afraid that coaches are seeing a great get, without having to fork over much. Parcells is not negotiating from a position of strength here.
2. It would be shocking to find another team with the kind of fragile issues as Oline, receiving and continuity that Miami possesses. Let us not kid ourselves, 1-15 does not become winning season over night. .500 ball would be amazing. IMO I see Miami winning 5 games this year. With another draft some off season acquisitions we could see Miami into winning territory with an outside shot at the playoffs. So with that said, Beck wins because the team he ends up with will most likely be stronger in the areas that plague the team. Checking down out of necessity won't be a problem anymore.
3. Trading Beck does what for the Dolphins? It does not free up a position, it does not create depth as we are talking Beck for future draft picks (late ones at that), and it does not help the team become better in any way. If Beck were traded next year after having another year of seasoning, time under center late in games when the result is already given, the Dolphins keep someone who plays smart, is available if disaster strikes and Pennington goes down and Henne does as well (assuming Beck is the number thee), and whose trade value increases to create a stronger deal to heal what ails the Phins.

Beck leaving is Beck getting the most out of the deal and should concern IMO fans as to what Parcells is actually accomplishing. Sparano may be a rookie, but Parcells may end up poisoning the well in regards to Sparano's ability to preside over the team. If this ends up biting Miami in the butt, I am afraid that we might continue the vicious cycle of waiting for the 2nd coming of Dan Marino while Miami wallows in the squalor of another losing season.

Sometimes QBs who do well in college can't replicate it in the big leagues.

Back
Top Bottom