John Clayton reporting (nothing earth shattering). | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

John Clayton reporting (nothing earth shattering).

caneaddict

Pro Bowler
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
About the same stuff as before. What is interesting is he said there is some thought around the league that the top 2 QB's this year are actually better than the top 2 QB's from last year. That's why TB wants to move up. Looks like they are currently offering their 2nd.

caneaddict said:
About the same stuff as before. What is interesting is he said there is some thought around the league that the top 2 QB's this year are actually better than the top 2 QB's from last year. That's why TB wants to move up. Looks like they are currently offering their 2nd.

yeah he also thinks Benson is the better proven back or was it mueller that said that? I listened also.

To get to 1 or 2, Tampa would probably have to give up more than just a 2. Two 2's or a 1 next year and a 2 this.

But they are hot for a QB for sure.

Good for us

Well TB looks to be a parter, we could still pick a awesome player and get more picks, Perfect for us

I think it would be great for us if we could even just get their first and second.

I don't know if they'd want to give up a 1st, 2nd and 3rd because they have more problems they need to address so it could be a 1st and 2nd this year and a 3rd next year. I would love that.

But frankly, I'm a little confused. I remember when Mike Williams returned to Tampa weeks back. Gruden was heralding him. He was the man for the job. The answer to the underlying question.

Then it was Cadillac. The man for the job. The answer to the underlying question.

Now they want a Quarterback?

Looks like Gudens screen ran out of smoke a little to early, huh?

Give us a second and a third and I am game!

I'm with Boomer. For months I've been saying our goal should be picking up extra 1st's for 2006. I would be ecstatic getting Tampa's 1st in 2006 and 2nd this year.

Tampa would essentially be a similar team to last year. Rookie QB and no 2nd round pick to add talent so their 2006 1st could be top 10. Couple that with a top 20 pick for the fins (probably top 15) and we are in good position in 2006. Additionally, If Mike Williams is there at #5 this year, we may be able to trade him to San Diego for #12 and #28 or to Minnesota and pick up a 2nd or 3rd from Minnesota. Lot's of options.

Both Mueller and John Clayton said they expect the majority of trades to occur between picks 11-20 as teams try to get specific defensive players. So if we get into that range (SD) we can keep trading down, picking up 1st's in 2006 and additional late 1st's and 2nd's for this year.

ugh

If the "media" thinks they know what Coach Saban is going to pick and do in the draft, then they should know what Gruden is going to do. right?

No they dont know what is going to happen. Smokescreen! You wont know until it happens or Gruden says I am picking <insert flavor of the week>.

I doubt it will happen. You can ponder the possibilities until your blue in the face, but that will not make it happen. I feel it would be stupid to trade to move up, pick 5 is fine.

I know you guys would love it because it benefits the Dolphins, and thats why these threads keep on going. LOL!

There is one thing for certain.If any team is in love with the top two QBs they have to deal with us and thats message Saban MUST sell in order to trade down which I think is his first wish.

The chink to this theory is if the niners dont take a QB with their first pick.Then teams can trade up with a team that is lower than us.

There is a remote chance that someone will try to trade up with us to get Williams/Edwards if Edwards/Williams is taken by the niners.

In the eventuality that we cant get decent value for a tradedown we should draft the remaining QB and then try to work out a deal to trade him just as happened with the Rivers /Manning scenario last year.

If that doesnt work out we keep the QB and we have our future franchise QB.
Its Win-Win as far as I can see.

Pewterninja said:
If the "media" thinks they know what Coach Saban is going to pick and do in the draft, then they should know what Gruden is going to do. right?

No they dont know what is going to happen. Smokescreen! You wont know until it happens or Gruden says I am picking <insert flavor of the week>.

I doubt it will happen. You can ponder the possibilities until your blue in the face, but that will not make it happen. I feel it would be stupid to trade to move up, pick 5 is fine.

I know you guys would love it because it benefits the Dolphins, and thats why these threads keep on going. LOL!
*yaaaaaaawn*

Pewterninja said:

MAYBE, but you are just as in the dark as the rest of us. So you saying you 'doubt it will happen' is just as presumptuous as us going over the possibilities of the trade.

Pewterninja said:

Not so fast. The big difference here is that smokescreens are used to alter someones thinking of your true intentions which will then allow you some advantage. The problem here is teams rarely use a smokescreen of moving UP. Sometimes teams will use a smokescrean that they intend to move DOWN and let someone else come in a and take someone you want (e.g. what happened to the Fins last year). But it makes no sense to use smokescreens about moving UP. How does that possibly benefit TB?

CrunchTime said:
There is one thing for certain.If any team is in love with the top two QBs they have to deal with us and thats message Saban MUST sell in order to trade down which I think is his first wish.

The chink to this theory is if the niners dont take a QB with their first pick.Then teams can trade up with a team that is lower than us.

There is a remote chance that someone will try to trade up with us to get Williams/Edwards if Edwards/Williams is taken by the niners.

In the eventuality that we cant get decent value for a tradedown we should draft the remaining QB and then try to work out a deal to trade him just as happened with the Rivers /Manning scenario last year.

If that doesnt work out we keep the QB and we have our future franchise QB.
Its Win-Win as far as I can see.

Good post :cooldude:

it would be great to trade down to #5, we would still have a shot at Ronnie Brown and if he's not there then we'd still be able to get Cadillac plus we would pick up a 2nd and another pick most likely which would give us two 2nd's (one from a Surtain deal)

Back
Top Bottom