Johnathan Hankins - signed for Colts | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Johnathan Hankins - signed for Colts

What purpose does the practice squad serve?:idk:
No team has enough PS guys to cover all positions and, often, teams have PS guys for positions the team already feels is weak. And what happens if Miami is fighting for a PO spot and a starter goes down? Not too many teams want to call up a PS guy when a much better player is available. Have to have that extra money.

Giants have a long term offer on the table. I'm betting he ends up back in NY...with a wounded ego, playing next to the guy who just got $9.25 per year last off-season. Probably on a one year deal so he can try again in 2018.

If we didn't have Suh and his deal(19m cap hit) I would be for it. But ~$30m between two DT's seems excessive. And I think they want some breathing space in terms of cap space. And some carry over into next year

Hankins plus a DE or Reddick at 22 and our front 7 goes from trash to at the very least top half of the league.

Unfortunately, I don't think he budges from his price point and the Dolphins have proven they likely won't budge from theirs. Bet he re-signs with the Giants after the draft.

fansinceGWilson said:
No team has enough PS guys to cover all positions and, often, teams have PS guys for positions the team already feels is weak. And what happens if Miami is fighting for a PO spot and a starter goes down? Not too many teams want to call up a PS guy when a much better player is available. Have to have that extra money.

A better player available...you mean like Baccari Rambo?

John813 said:
If we didn't have Suh and his deal(19m cap hit) I would be for it. But ~$30m between two DT's seems excessive. And I think they want some breathing space in terms of cap space. And some carry over into next year

1.) We have a terrible run defense.

2.) Who else besides Suh and Jones is getting any type of money on defense?

It's no wonder we suck on the defensive side....

What are they going to use it on...if not players that can help the team?

We have $16 million...less $5 million for draft picks. That leaves us with roughly $11 million.

What and who are we saving for...Landry maybe?

For whatever they choose. . . .or to roll over for another time. It doesn't expire and they shouldn't overspend just because it is availabl. 2018's cap is already filling out and an extra 10 million rolled over from this year would be very much welcomed.

Kdawg954 said:
2018's cap is already filling out and an extra 10 million rolled over from this year would be very much welcomed.

To do what?

The same thing thy did this offseason...lowball quality players and roll the dice on players their former teams have given up on? I can see us next year having $20 million roll over, offer Ziggy Ansah $7 million per year because that's what we determined his price point to be after a disastrous 2016. He laughs in our face, the fan base tells us how he isn't worth the $12 million he's asking for, we'll sign Wallce Gilberry for $3 million, wonder why we can't get pressure on the QB from the weakside.

Wash...
Rinse...
Repeat....

To do what?

The same thing thy did this offseason...lowball quality players and roll the dice on players their former teams have given up on? I can see us next year having $20 million roll over, offer Ziggy Ansah $7 million per year because that's what we determined his price point to be after a disastrous 2016. He laughs in our face, the fan base tells us how he isn't worth the $12 million he's asking for, we'll sign Wallce Gilberry for $3 million, wonder why we can't get pressure on the QB from the weakside.

Wash...
Rinse...
Repeat....

We have been rolling about $6-8 mil for several years now. Once we rolled it one time, it hasn't actually impacted our budget for the roster compared to other teams in any of those seasons. We have spent the same amount as everyone else. My guess is that they are waiting until they have what they feel is a very competitive roster for a deep playoff run, and that off-season you'll see them invest that extra cash in 1-2 free-agents to help them get to the top. They could spend all their money, but they will just have less next year in that case, and are very much not flush with cash for 2018. There's some room now, but there are a number of players we need to re-sign and only about 35 players on the roster at this time. Juwan James, and Landry by themselves may eat the majority of the cap space we currently have for 2018. That roll-over they have been carrying is probably gonna be needed in 2018.

I believe he ends up back with the Giants as well. At this point, anything could happen. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

To do what?

Wash...
Rinse...
Repeat....

Well to extend Landry among other things... Rolling money over is always wise. Now don't get me wrong, id like Hankins here but how are you not getting kdawg's point?

And wtf @ your example? Why would we be basing any contract amount on a season that happened two years ago? Yes we are stingy on prices- but it's a good thing we are trying to build a culture of rewarding our own. Not overpaying isn't a bad thing- let me guess you want OV here too, despite making almost as much as Suh?

Fully agree this guy changes our defense and how we go into the draft. We can sign him to a cap friendly deal

This is the problem in paying Suh so much money and skewing the cap hits for the first two years (6M & 12.6M).

Instead of paying two DT's $15M each like Calais Campbell & Malik Jackson, We pay Suh 19M, 26M & 28M so cannot afford to sign FA's. Our draft picks HAVE to pay off. Next year Suh will make almost as much as those two players.

I read that CC is playing DE in base and moving inside on passing downs.

Yannick Ngakoue and Dante Fowler will be lined up on the edge with their hands in the dirt and Malik Jackson will still be lined up inside, the only difference is the mammoth Calais Campbell will be lined up next to him on the interior.

Look out for that line this year.

Back
Top Bottom