Johnathan Hankins - signed for Colts | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Johnathan Hankins - signed for Colts

fansinceGWilson said:
Better than most of the PS guys? There's a reason they're PS.

There's a reason Rambo wasn't on a squad until we called him...

Let's actually break down the numbers and judge for ourselves if Tannenbaum lowballing this guy is actually warranted.

Assuming the league salary cap increases by $10-12M like it's done every year for the past 5 seasons, we're sitting at $34.6M in cap space for 2018 as it stands today. That doesn't include the Reshad Jones deal and Ju'wan James potential $8.4M option, which given his up and down play is far from a guarantee at this point. But let's assume we give it to him, Jones cap hit will be around $10M, that's about $19M for the two of them, but their cap hits can be canceled out by the money we save from cutting Maxwell ($10M) and Pouncey ($8M), which I think we'll do. Julius Thomas at $6.6M could be another cap casualty, although I think he probably stays.

So we have $20M for this season, $14M after we sign all our picks, which can be carried over to next year, that's roughly $47.5M in cap space next year, which is what we're looking at if we keep the roster as is. Or we pull off the best signing of our offseason and add Hankins on a 1 year $7.5M deal and you reduce that number down to $40M.

Easy decision if you ask me. Hankins is younger than Poe, no back issues, no questions about his effort on the field, and we were dead last in yards per carry allowed. No brainer.

Travis34 said:
And wtf @ your example? Why would we be basing any contract amount on a season that happened two years ago? Yes we are stingy on prices- but it's a good thing we are trying to build a culture of rewarding our own.

Overpaying for 5.5 sacks?

Overpaying for 115 tackles (39th in the league)from the MLB?

Overpaying for a 9TD season, which happens to be an outlier, doubtful if duplicated.

That's an advertisement to FA's to steer clear of the Dolphins when you have better seasons than their starters yet they want to pay you like a benchwarmer.

Travis34 said:
overpaying isn't a bad thing- let me guess you want OV here too, despite making almost as much as Suh?

Well...seeing as how we paid Mario Williams $10 million, and Andre Branch $2.75 million. For a total of about 13 million for the position. What did we get out of the deal? A 31st rank in run defense.

The Giants paid Vernon $16 million and what did they get out of the deal? A top 5 run defense...and he played a major part in that run defense.

Now the question can be asked...are you happy with the thought you saved a nickel, but got the ball pounded down your throat in the playoffs?

Well to extend Landry among other things... Rolling money over is always wise. Now don't get me wrong, id like Hankins here but how are you not getting kdawg's point?

And wtf @ your example? Why would we be basing any contract amount on a season that happened two years ago? Yes we are stingy on prices- but it's a good thing we are trying to build a culture of rewarding our own. Not overpaying isn't a bad thing- let me guess you want OV here too, despite making almost as much as Suh?

You're right...unfortunately we gave Branch $8M/yr and Kiko top 5 guaranteed money for non-pass rushing LB's so I guess Tannenbaum didn't get the memo??

There's a reason Rambo wasn't on a squad until we called him...
I agree with that. 2 points. Gase signing Rambo says, by itself, he didn't like any PS safeties enough to elevate one (was Hendy on PS). Again, needs can arise for positions not covered by PS. In any case, Miami WILL carry over $5-7mm whether we like it or not. Which brings me back to Hankins. I'd LOVE to sign him but I doubt there's money for what he's asking and, as others have said, I suspect he's a Giant when this is all over.

Let's actually break down the numbers and judge for ourselves if Tannenbaum lowballing this guy is actually warranted.

Assuming the league salary cap increases by $10-12M like it's done every year for the past 5 seasons, we're sitting at $34.6M in cap space for 2018 as it stands today. That doesn't include the Reshad Jones deal and Ju'wan James potential $8.4M option, which given his up and down play is far from a guarantee at this point. But let's assume we give it to him, Jones cap hit will be around $10M, that's about $19M for the two of them, but their cap hits can be canceled out by the money we save from cutting Maxwell ($10M) and Pouncey ($8M), which I think we'll do. Julius Thomas at $6.6M could be another cap casualty, although I think he probably stays.

So we have $20M for this season, $14M after we sign all our picks, which can be carried over to next year, that's roughly $47.5M in cap space next year, which is what we're looking at if we keep the roster as is. Or we pull off the best signing of our offseason and add Hankins on a 1 year $7.5M deal and you reduce that number down to $40M.

Easy decision if you ask me. Hankins is younger than Poe, no back issues, no questions about his effort on the field, and we were dead last in yards per carry allowed. No brainer.

You are currently almost 20 players short on your roster for 2018. They can't all be on $500k contracts, and even that would eat $10 mil in 2018 cap. Plus you aren't accounting for re-signing Landry. And Jones cap hit will be well north of $10mil. His contract is 5 years/$50 mil and his cap hit for this year is only $8mil. That means the remaining 4 year we have to pay him $52 mil more. I doubt we are paying him $42 mil for the last 3 years of that contract. His hit in 2018 will be more like $13-14mil.

Overpaying for 5.5 sacks?

Overpaying for a 9TD season, which happens to be an outlier, doubtful if duplicated.

That's an advertisement to FA's to steer clear of the Dolphins when you have better seasons than their starters yet they want to pay you like a benchwarmer.

Well...seeing as how we paid Mario Williams $10 million, and Andre Branch $2.75 million. For a total of about 13 million for the position. What did we get out of the deal? A 31st rank in run defense.

The Giants paid Vernon $16 million and what did they get out of the deal? A top 5 run defense...and he played a major part in that run defense.

Now the question can be asked...are you happy with the thought you saved a nickel, but got the ball pounded down your throat in the playoffs?

Okay, so to start off- why are you even referencing ansah's 2016 like it means a damn thing to resigning him on 2018? (Prior years can have some bearing- injuries / scheme changes - but I totally don't get how you say we would offer him peanuts due to a down year two years prior)

Branch - absolutey overpaid (keep in mind those 5.5 sacks were in limited ish time) but we are obviously hoping he plays decently vs the pass. Didn't Vernon only have like 8 before he got paid?

Kiko - still quesy on him due to injuries, but his contract amount isn't exactly 'outrageous' ... 115 tackles isn't bad. A lot of people were blowing their loads over "all pro" Zach brown and his 150 tackles. So roughly 3 tackles a game more makes a big difference?

Stills - right around the same amount as other comparable receivers. Also an easy out if we need to cut him when Parker hits his potential

------

Williams - we were obviously banking on him being a better scheme fit here than in buffalo and being motivated. Not our fault he busted. If he were even a shell of his former self, it wouldn't have been a bad deal.

Branch, last year - that was peanuts for what we got in return

OV - yeah no, I'm fine with not paying him that much. Do you honestly believe he helps our run defense that much? How was our run d with him here???? How about when he was merely qb hunting and forgot about the run game, simply trying to get sacks to get paid (and bringing his share of penalities with him)

So I decided to research the top mlb salaries and I've come away agreeing more with you, defintely think we paid him too much when you look at the rest of the list

Travis34 said:
Okay, so to start off- why are you even referencing ansah's 2016 like it means a damn thing to resigning him on 2018? (Prior years can have some bearing- injuries / scheme changes - but I totally don't get how you say we would offer him peanuts due to a down year two years prior)

We've offered all visiting FAs peanuts....

Travis34 said:
Branch - absolutey overpaid (keep in mind those 5.5 sacks were in limited ish time) but we are obviously hoping he plays decently vs the pass. Didn't Vernon only have like 8 before he got paid?

Kiko - still quesy on him due to injuries, but his contract amount isn't exactly 'outrageous' ... 115 tackles isn't bad. A lot of people were blowing their loads over "all pro" Zach brown and his 150 tackles. So roughly 3 tackles a game more makes a big difference?

Zach Brown was drafted as a 4-3 cover LB (4.5 in the 40). Which translates to OLB on the Phins with a focus on coverage...Kiko shouldn't even be on the field in nickel situations. It could have been Brown and Hewitt (former safety). Let's not forget how memorable Kiko was trying to stop Bell in the playoffs...and that gets a raise???

Travis34 said:
Williams - we were obviously banking on him being a better scheme fit here than in buffalo and being motivated. Not our fault he busted. If he were even a shell of his former self, it wouldn't have been a bad deal.

If my aunt had balls...well, you know the rest. What did Williams do the prior year to earn $10 million?

Travis34 said:
Branch, last year - that was peanuts for what we got in return

Yes, his contract was equal to his play...LAST YEAR.

Travis34 said:
OV - yeah no, I'm fine with not paying him that much. Do you honestly believe he helps our run defense that much? How was our run d with him here???? How about when he was merely qb hunting and forgot about the run game, simply trying to get sacks to get paid (and bringing his share of penalities with him)

If you are fine with not paying him that much then you shouldn't be wondering what is wrong with the run defense. For the record:
http://phinphanatic.com/2016/02/09/2015-dolphins-grades-olivier-vernon/

Miami does not want to spend all of their cap. They restructured Suh last year to give themselves cap flexibility . . . that does not mean they want to use it all up. It is why they have a certain price on a guy and they are taking a hard stance on that price.

That makes sense. Certainly want to have enough money carried over for next year and to sign Jarvis Landry long-term.

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 PM ----------

We have about $20M in cap space.

Better yet. Thanks Snoop.

Dphinz- (not gonna quote that long post for the sake of everyone else) but:

-does that article state the overall team run defense? I didn't happen to see that... but upon looking we were still ranked 31st... so he must not be that much of a difference. I will say though- I would much rather have OV here than have signed Williams/Branch and now branch/hayes. I think he's a good player but not elite. I think we mainly are in disagreement over his price tag here...

About Williams again- we were hoping he would revitalize himself in a 43 as opposed to miscast in a 34...

Yes we have offered peanuts to incoming guys (not that Timmons was 'peanuts per se') but clearly we would rather pay our own (even if not initially drafted here) than someone who may just be looking to cash in. We want guys who will buy in to the program

Yes I realize ZB is truly an OLB... just comparing the tackle stat merely- how bad some people wanted him and overrated him.. but I already agreed with you about Kiko to a degree.

Travis34 said:
Dphinz- (not gonna quote that long post for the sake of everyone else) but:

-does that article state the overall team run defense? I didn't happen to see that... but upon looking we were still ranked 31st... so he must not be that much of a difference. I will say though- I would much rather have OV here than have signed Williams/Branch and now branch/hayes. I think he's a good player but not elite. I think we mainly are in disagreement over his price tag here...

About Williams again- we were hoping he would revitalize himself in a 43 as opposed to miscast in a 34...

Yes we have offered peanuts to incoming guys (not that Timmons was 'peanuts per se') but clearly we would rather pay our own (even if not initially drafted here) than someone who may just be looking to cash in. We want guys who will buy in to the program

Yes I realize ZB is truly an OLB... just comparing the tackle stat merely- how bad some people wanted him and overrated him.. but I already agreed with you about Kiko to a degree.

At the end of the day...it's Phins Up.

At this point it will be a one year deal somewhere. Miami can fix the run, for a year, and look at it again next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Field Yates‏Verified account
@FieldYates

Source: DT Johnathan Hankins visited the Colts today. Arguably the top free agent still available.

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 4m4 minutes ago
Ian Rapoport Retweeted Field Yates
A visit, but not (yet) a signing. This is the first visit for Hankins, who still has an offer from the #Giants.

Back
Top Bottom