****Jordan Love Super Thread**** | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

****Jordan Love Super Thread****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only issue I really see with burrow is some scheme limitation in terms of ask relative to his average arm which may limit some route concepts etc but if you are drafting that kid you are gonna tailor your offense to play to his strengths and hide his weaknesses or you are gonna get fired.

it’s that simple.

And I think his ball placement in terms of the proper shoulder is overrated. Like I don’t see it being on tuas level to all fields at anywhere close to the same level. Keeping in mind tuas ball placement to all fields and tight windows is probably the best I’ve ever seen at the college level.

But when I watched lsu play Georgia this year can’t remember if it was the sec champ game or regular season I saw two QBs whose arm strength resulted in underthrows on verticals. Guys who lacked the arm talent to just grip it and rip it be it down tbe seam or outside the numbers. It was my takeaway and I saw burrow to some extent bailed out by guys so open the throws hitting the back shoulder didn’t matter.

fromm threw a couple balls down the seam and I was like tbat balls 2 yards short and it’s cause he doesn’t have the arm or gifts to offset any off platform vertical throw. He sees it and wants it he just can’t execute it physically imo.

he’s just a very average athlete with a very average arm. Mind wants to do what the tools can’t.

Last edited:
This is correct. If you are taking a qb at 18 as your ride or die qb you are taking him at 5 just the same.

Daniel Jeremiah had us taking Tua,Deandre Swift and Austin Jackson is the 1st, if that happens yay of nay on the the last 2 draft picks ?

I'm not a fan of Jordan Love and I wish Herbert had more upstairs and better feel in the pocket.

I agree witb that Herbert take. Someone will buy in no doubt and it will be early. But there’s some flags there that I’d probably just rather avoid. I don’t think he’s got the pre snap side of things to his game either. To offset some of the other stuff or mask it more.

It will be either proven that it was coaching limitation that held him back in college or it was qb limitation.

I like Jordan loves upside but that’s what it is. Largely upside. Imo

At the same time if someone has him at qb2 in the class I don’t have an issue with it. He’s gifted. And I do think that he’s probably the most moldable qb of all of them.

I think tua barring medical is gonna be an absolute star. And so I’m all in.

All my chips on the table.

year in year out contender level qb play. Qb play where you know going in you gonna be in every game and you gonna win the vast majority of them.

At this point, winner is Washington.

The new regime will get draft capital they haven't seen in DC since Gibbs v 1.0....you get my point. Snyder has been what you do not want to be.

I like love. A good QB with great athletic skills, arm and fast release and accurate that played on a very bad team. threw a lot of interceptions in his last year (Not his junior year). Sound familiar to 1983.

I don't think it's as black and white as you are making it out to be.

Assuming Love would be the 4th QB taken, that means 3 are already gone.

In that scenario, it's very likely you could trade down a few spots without risk of someone taking him.
You can't assume anything. You don't know how other teams have the QBs rated. Just because you think Love is the 4th QB doesn't mean every team in the NFL does. If he's the guy they want then they should take him at pick 5. You don't get cute with it and end up with nothing. That goes for any QB they feel that way about. Have a conviction and make your move. Don't get caught with your pants down.

Only issue I really see with burrow is some scheme limitation in terms of ask relative to his average arm which may limit some route concepts etc but if you are drafting that kid you are gonna tailor your offense to play to his strengths and hide his weaknesses or you are gonna get fired.

it’s that simple.

And I think his ball placement in terms of the proper shoulder is overrated. Like I don’t see it being on tuas level to all fields at anywhere close to the same level. Keeping in mind tuas ball placement to all fields and tight windows is probably the best I’ve ever seen at the college level.

But when I watched lsu play Georgia this year can’t remember if it was the sec champ game or regular season I saw two QBs whose arm strength resulted in underthrows on verticals. Guys who lacked the arm talent to just grip it and rip it be it down tbe seam or outside the numbers. It was my takeaway and I saw burrow to some extent bailed out by guys so open the throws hitting the back shoulder didn’t matter.

fromm threw a couple balls down the seam and I was like tbat balls 2 yards short and it’s cause he doesn’t have the arm or gifts to offset any off platform vertical throw. He sees it and wants it he just can’t execute it physically imo.

he’s just a very average athlete with a very average arm. Mind wants to do what the tools can’t.

Most QB's in the NFL will tell you Arm strength is highly overrated, The number of footballs you throw over 40 yards is roughly one or two a game..
I guarantee you Blaine Gabbert can throw the football farther then Brady or Bree's ever could but obviously you wouldn't want him starting for you.

Hell Chad Pennington likely would have struggled to throw it 50 yards and he had a pretty damn great career himself, Kirk Cousins is another example of a guy without the strongest arm but he puts the ball on the money on those deep throws.

I'm not saying its completely irrelevant as there are a number of passes you can't throw as effectively without good velocity on your throw but ball location (accuracy) is a far more important aspect in the NFL.

He might have had a chance if he killed the whole pre draft process. He had an okay Senior Bowl week, just was inconsistent throughout the week which kind of stabilized him as a prospect. He is still a first rounder but at the end of the first wave of QBs. Has a chance to shine at the combine and workouts but a still see him as QB4, biggest thing for me isnt his production in his senior year as he lost his entire receiving core, 2/3rds of his coaching staff and 80% of his offensive line. It is he had off the field stuff in Logan Utah, what will happen when he is in Miami with every distraction in the world and millions of dollars.

What are you talking about? All I found was him being cited for marijuana. I'd be mad if he wasn't smoking weed.

I don’t expect anybody to agree. I just see some things with Joe Burrow and Justin Herbert that don’t translate well in my opinion.

I get Herbert... but what your missing on Burrow is hard to figure? He has great accuracy, instincts, intangibles.... he reads defenses very well...his has great technique and form. He is elusive and has sneaky speed and movement.

Burrow doesn’t have a howitzer... but you don’t need one to be great.

Your comparing Marino to Love?

Marino was thought to be a very good talented QB that had a off year.

Love is talented QB that with the right team could be good to very good, but he will never, ever, ever be Dan Marino.

I am not comparing Marino to Love, I was just making the point that senior season stats don’t necessarily reflect the player’s ability to play in the NFL...

I am not comparing Marino to Love, I was just making the point that senior season stats don’t necessarily reflect the player’s ability to play in the NFL...
Good to hear (though your actual words could be taken that way), because comparing the two would not only be foolish, it does them both a disservice.

Can you come up with an example that doesn't rely on an analogy to the greatest passer in history?

Most QB's in the NFL will tell you Arm strength is highly overrated, The number of footballs you throw over 40 yards is roughly one or two a game..
I guarantee you Blaine Gabbert can throw the football farther then Brady or Bree's ever could but obviously you wouldn't want him starting for you.

Hell Chad Pennington likely would have struggled to throw it 50 yards and he had a pretty damn great career himself, Kirk Cousins is another example of a guy without the strongest arm but he puts the ball on the money on those deep throws.

I'm not saying its completely irrelevant as there are a number of passes you can't throw as effectively without good velocity on your throw but ball location (accuracy) is a far more important aspect in the NFL.
"Deep balls" aren't really the true test of arm strength. Throwing a ball on a line outside the numbers in a tight window around 15 to 20 yrds away is a better test of arm strength. I think Burrow can handle the "deep" throws adequately enough, it's the throws I described that I think people question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom