Jordan Love vs Kent St Bowl Game | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jordan Love vs Kent St Bowl Game

The Bopkin

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
So it's not always easy to find a Utah State game, but I recorded UtSt vs Kent St just to see Jordan Love play. I went into the game, never having seen him, expecting to be unimpressed based on a lot of chatter.
I must say, I came away the opposite. I realize it was only one game, but wow, he performed way better than what I was expecting(I realize it was against Kent St)
1. Great arm strength, very good accuracy. Missed on a key 3rd and long throw late in the game to keep a drive alive- threw it in the dirt in front of a WR; one other pass he missed was a touch pass with too much umph on it. Otherwise, zip zip, long and short passes, on the money. Looks like a line drive fastball type of thrower.
2. Good legs. Can really move around. Not like Lamar Jackson or Jalen Hurts, but kept several plays alive for an extended period(again, it was against Kent St)
3. Got busted for marijuana the week before the bowl game. Dude. Why?
4. Put team first and played in a bowl game when he didn't have to. Had already declared.
In my one Jordan Love game, I can see why he would be a late first round guy who'd sit for a year.
Sorry mods you can bump this. I saw it addressed after the fact in the Jordan Love declares thread. I would just delete it if I could.

Last edited:
I’m obviously in the minority but I’d rather draft Love and let him sit a year than draft Tua and have him sit a year. At least Love has the tools to be special.

The hype train on this guy is unbelievable. What good is having good measurables if you suck as a football player. That's how you end up with bums like Kalen Ballage. This "upside" crap must be done away with from the college scouting ranks. I watched the game he played vs BYU. He absolutely stunk up the joint. Walterfootball (who has a connection with NFL teams and how they view players) ranks him as the 9th rated QB coming out, which is exactly where he should be. If Grier drafts this dude in the first round, he should be fired on the spot.

The hype train on this guy is unbelievable. What good is having good measurables if you suck as a football player. That's how you end up with bums like Kalen Ballage. This "upside" crap must be done away with from the college scouting ranks. I watched the game he played vs BYU. He absolutely stunk up the joint. Walterfootball (who has a connection with NFL teams and how they view players) ranks him as the 9th rated QB coming out, which is exactly where he should be. If Grier drafts this dude in the first round, he should be fired on the spot.

Did you happen to catch any of the other games he’s played over the past few years or just BYU?

Walterfootball don’t know anything more than anybody else. They had Baker Mayfield as a top 16 pick....barf.

They had him and Josh Rosen above Lamar Jackson.

They had Luke Falk as a 2nd-4th round pick for ****’s sake.

I’ll bet Walterfootball as high as they want to bet that Jordan Love ain’t the 9th best QB in this draft.

WalterFootball
:lol:

Walterfootball had Will Grier above Minshew - and I don’t mean by a little bit. 9 or 10 slots.

Love is Plan B for me w/ their 1C or B.
But, I'm not sure he is available because many mocks have him 15-19 at the 1st round.

Jordan Love was all over the map this season. I can fully understand why opinions are mixed for anyone who inherited him this season for the first time. Love had 6 games at 8.0 YPA and above, and 7 games at 6.4 YPA or below.

Basically nothing in the middle. I was noticing that all season. Then in some of his games with high YPA he ruined it with interceptions.

As Slimm has pointed out, not everybody frantically changes opinion on a quarterback based on every game or every quarter or every throw. The Jordan Love benefit of a doubt sources from 2018 when the surrounding offensive personnel were closer to his level.

Did you happen to catch any of the other games he’s played over the past few years or just BYU?

Walterfootball don’t know anything more than anybody else. They had Baker Mayfield as a top 16 pick....barf.

They had him and Josh Rosen above Lamar Jackson.

They had Luke Falk as a 2nd-4th round pick for ****’s sake.

I’ll bet Walterfootball as high as they want to bet that Jordan Love ain’t the 9th best QB in this draft.
Um Mayfield went #1 overall only to set the all time rookie passing TD record despite not playing in every game. Simmer down on the Mayfield hate

Um Mayfield went #1 overall only to set the all time rookie passing TD record despite not playing in every game. Simmer down on the Mayfield hate

He did, but he’s been figured out. It wasn’t that hard. I thought he was overrated. I think I’m probably right.

One thing I always tried to emphasize was that chip on his shoulder was probably more than he could handle - because he’s not as good as he thinks he is.

Furthermore, He’s a grade A douchebag. Like it or not.

You can say what you want about Walterfootball but you can't say he's wrong with this quote about Jordan Love

"Jordan Love is a good talent, but his weakness is mental, as he has poor field vision. I would've wanted him to go back to school to work on that aspect of his game."

Being that the Dolphins run an offense similar to that of New England, I don't see how he's a fit here. A poor understanding of defenses and poor field vision doesn't bode well for his NFL future.

There hasn’t been many great quarterbacks that didn’t require the time needed for the mental aspects to catch up their physical abilities. I don’t necessarily disagree with that particular take, but I’d rather it be a little more specific.

The main thing Love struggles with is locating and gauging underneath defenders - particularly on throws that need to layered beyond the 2nd level and in front of the last level. The longer he holds the ball the worse he gets.

9th ranked QB in the class? Somebody could take all my money betting that one.

He did, but he’s been figured out. It wasn’t that hard. I thought he was overrated. I think I’m probably right.

One thing I always tried to emphasize was that chip on his shoulder was probably more than he could handle - because he’s not as good as he thinks he is.

Furthermore, He’s a grade A douchebag. Like it or not.

I always agreed that Mayfield was a douche, and your concerns with that aspect of him gave me pause. Ultimately, I didn't think it'd be destructive in the way it was for Manziel, but we'll see what happens. I do think Cleveland is one of the 2 or 3 worst-coached teams in the league. Cincinnati and the Jets are the only two other teams that come to mind, but I think even Gase is better than Taylor and Kitchens. The one concern I had about Mayfield as a player is that he was always a frontrunner. When things went well, they went amazingly well, but when Oklahoma was overmatched, Mayfield would come apart. Much as I liked him, I insisted that he was no Deshaun Watson. When **** got tough for Watson, he always had an answer. He didn't always win, but you knew he always had a chance.

Ultimately, Cleveland has been the worst franchise in the NFL for a decade or so. It was always going to be a steep climb. It's basically the inverse of Lamar Jackson's and Patrick Mahomes's situations. If Mayfield ended up with an Andy Reid or a Sean Payton, I think you'd see him getting the ball out on time, and his accuracy and ability to see the field would see him thrive.

The hardest thing about projecting QB's has little to do with the QB's themselves. You rarely get a player like Luck or Watson, who is going to be good regardless of the coach or the situation. A lot of the top guys have the talent to be great in great situations, but most are not so good that they can overcome a bad team. Of course, bad teams get most of the top-end QB's, and there are middle areas. Some bad teams hire better coaches and bring in better talent but only raise the overall level to mediocre, rather than good or great.

Tying this to Miami, this is why I'm so adamant that a team as bad/devoid of talent spend the majority of its resources building the offense. It would significantly increase the margin for error. As things stand, Miami would need to land the type of QB who only comes around once every 5-10 years, rather than one of the one or two best guys in a given class.

I always agreed that Mayfield was a douche, and your concerns with that aspect of him gave me pause. Ultimately, I didn't think it'd be destructive in the way it was for Manziel, but we'll see what happens. I do think Cleveland is one of the 2 or 3 worst-coached teams in the league. Cincinnati and the Jets are the only two other teams that come to mind, but I think even Gase is better than Taylor and Kitchens. The one concern I had about Mayfield as a player is that he was always a frontrunner. When things went well, they went amazingly well, but when Oklahoma was overmatched, Mayfield would come apart. Much as I liked him, I insisted that he was no Deshaun Watson. When **** got tough for Watson, he always had an answer. He didn't always win, but you knew he always had a chance.

Ultimately, Cleveland has been the worst franchise in the NFL for a decade or so. It was always going to be a steep climb. It's basically the inverse of Lamar Jackson's and Patrick Mahomes's situations. If Mayfield ended up with an Andy Reid or a Sean Payton, I think you'd see him getting the ball out on time, and his accuracy and ability to see the field would see him thrive.

The hardest thing about projecting QB's has little to do with the QB's themselves. You rarely get a player like Luck or Watson, who is going to be good regardless of the coach or the situation. A lot of the top guys have the talent to be great in great situations, but most are not so good that they can overcome a bad team. Of course, bad teams get most of the top-end QB's, and there are middle areas. Some bad teams hire better coaches and bring in better talent but only raise the overall level to mediocre, rather than good or great.

Tying this to Miami, this is why I'm so adamant that a team as bad/devoid of talent spend the majority of its resources building the offense. It would significantly increase the margin for error. As things stand, Miami would need to land the type of QB who only comes around once every 5-10 years, rather than one of the one or two best guys in a given class.

Brett Kollman released a video a few weeks ago on Baker's struggles and he goes in depth about last year's success too. Ultimately I think the failures this year are more than just Freddie Kitchen. John Dorsey got a lot of talent, but the criticisms of him have always been that he likes style over substance... and ultimately he is awful with the cap. Let's not get into Jimmy Haslem as that's it's own issues. But I kind of always knew the Browns would fail.

Here's the video BTW I figure you'd love it J-Off

As for Jordan Love. He took such a step back this year that it brings up red flags. I honestly would have preferred him become a grad transfer and go ball out at a BCS school. Yes he lost talent from last year's Utah State team. And yes the coaching change has played a part (though Andersen was HC before Wells and Wells was his OC so the system didn't change THAT much).

I am not gonna endorse Love as a first round pick based on the most recent film. If we pick him, I'll support him, but He has a lot of work

I know this is about Jordan Love, but as the convo has shifted a bit to baker...

Back
Top Bottom