Jordan Phillips Eager To Face Dolphins. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jordan Phillips Eager To Face Dolphins.

I agree with that. The "unknown factor" is:

Could a better motivator -- and/or better disciplinarian, and/or better fundamental coaching
made a difference in that dudes development and production?

Maybe. Maybe not.

But the hallmark of a truly "great coach" (IMO) is his ability to get the most out of his players.

I don't think we do that.

At least I see no obvious evidence of that.

Your take?

In my experience, players motivate themselves. There are only a couple of archetypes of successful players in terms of effort/motivation:
1) giant - everything is easy because they are the best athlete. This ends at some level for almost everyone.
2) tribalism - needs to hate the opposition for internal motivation
3) external - they need an outside voice to hype them up. In my experience this is a very short lived bump
4) economic - motivated by glory, puss, money. “Contract year” players
5) professional - grinds his job, works hard, and does his best to win every play.

A team is a mix of all these types of guys. You need the tribal guys to hype up the external motivation guys. The giants, economic, and professional types don’t need it.

If you think about the fins, I am willing to bet Suh, RT, and Wake are professionals.

I don’t go to any games, so I have no idea who the tribal and external guys are.

Regardless, the influence a coach has is limited. Allow the tribal guys to be who they are and influence the externals. Stoke the fires of the economic guys.

Phillips is in the unsuccessful category, to this point. He fits none of those molds

In my experience, players motivate themselves. There are only a couple of archetypes of successful players in terms of effort/motivation:
1) giant - everything is easy because they are the best athlete. This ends at some level for almost everyone.
2) tribalism - needs to hate the opposition for internal motivation
3) external - they need an outside voice to hype them up. In my experience this is a very short lived bump
4) economic - motivated by glory, puss, money. “Contract year” players
5) professional - grinds his job, works hard, and does his best to win every play.

A team is a mix of all these types of guys. You need the tribal guys to hype up the external motivation guys. The giants, economic, and professional types don’t need it.

If you think about the fins, I am willing to bet Suh, RT, and Wake are professionals.

I don’t go to any games, so I have no idea who the tribal and external guys are.

Regardless, the influence a coach has is limited. Allow the tribal guys to be who they are and influence the externals. Stoke the fires of the economic guys.

Phillips is in the unsuccessful category, to this point. He fits none of those molds

Well in Phillips' case I think we'll see how much REVENGE / PAYBACK is a motivator!

:)

Phillips is a quitter. Not a true baller. Who cares what he says

Instead of being gracious and thanking Miami for giving him a chance to live out his dream, he has to throw parting shots and say he's going to "go after the ones that deserve it". So typical of today's NFL. Nothing but a bunch of entitled men acting like children. I would have loved to see some of these guys play in the 70's or 80's. They would be shouting a whole different narrative. Phillips was lazy at Oklahoma. Miami took a chance on him and if it wasn't for his T*t Momma Suh, he would have been cut a long time ago. Once Suh left, his days were numbered. Suh all but woke is lazy a** up every morning. Sorry folks, he may have a great game against us on Sunday, but we will always have the last laugh. He was/is a below average DT. Nothing will ever change that.

Well in Phillips' case I think we'll see how much REVENGE / PAYBACK is a motivator!

I said successful players

One game of hate filled motivation does not make a successful career.

Now, if he had torn up the league this year in response to getting cut - that would be a different thing.

Eager to play Miami but not eager to be a good player or not eager to play any team when he was with Miami.

I said successful players

One game of hate filled motivation does not make a successful career.

Now, if he had torn up the league this year in response to getting cut - that would be a different thing.

Well, since we're on the subject of "motivation" I find it irrelevant whatever the underlying impetus is...

Consider my point is (a) this is a dude with formidable athletic chops ("freakish" in certain ways) who has admittedly

NOT lived up to his gifted potential. But let's keep it tight and admit that's NOT an uncommon event

in athletics, or life in general. So ------------ if indeed the "inner fire" (whatever fuels it) is a commodity

high-performance players (or professional peeps in general) have to have in order to perform at a high level

I have to think (based on my own life experience) "coaches," "mentors," "authority figures" can directly IMPACT

(in a positive way) the "psychological urgency" (motivation) of their players etc.

Beyond that -- I think the motivational aspect of great coaching has become seriously discounted by the schematic dweebs...

Go back and take a look at what the Parcells Giants did to the prissy Joe Montana 49ers on their road to the SB!

"Wild dogs gotta eat!"

Normally I’d agree that the former player we cut would come and embarras us. It’s not going to happen this Sunday w Phillips. Here’s why: he sucks.

You know how this situation plays out. Dolphins gonna dolphin.

Every time.

They always come back to give it to us and they always leave the vasoline at home.

he sucks.

Talent has nothing to do with it. As a matter of fact, it's what makes it even more embarrasing. But it's scripted Dolpins luck.

Did't Heath Evans at RB even come back to rip us a new one?

Lol oh man. Yeah. Way it leans for us.

Talent has nothing to do with it. As a matter of fact, it's what makes it even more embarrasing. But it's scripted Dolpins luck.

Did't Heath Evans at RB even come back to rip us a new one?

Lol oh man. Yeah. Way it leans for us.
If Heath Evans did that I have undoubtedly blocked it from my mind. What I could see is the Bills putting him in on offense to run a goal line plunge for TD as a way to stick it to us. That I could see.

What’s funny is he’ll probably have a career day this Sunday.
Hell have a mediocre 30% of the game, that’s as much effort he can dish out and why he is gone on top of his bad attitude. It’s really a shame, with the departure of SUH he could have come in worked hard and earn a good contract. Now he’s going to have 25 tackles and 1 1/2 sacks even with his new team who has inspired him to 11 tackles in 7 games.

Back
Top Bottom