Josh Rosen, Dolphins offense parallel one another in quest to improve | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Josh Rosen, Dolphins offense parallel one another in quest to improve

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
One look at the box score and anyone unfamiliar with Josh Rosen’s circumstances here in Miami would probably make a fair share of assumptions. 8 of 21 passing with 4 sacks, 2 interceptions and 4.9 yards per attempt — yikes, right?

Yes and no. Rosen’s performances in garbage time the past two weeks haven’t netted anything significant in the way of points. But just like his inability to convince the coaches he deserved the starting job from the very beginning, Rosen’s play has a lot of needed context underneath the surface.

Rosen came to the Dolphins with the reputation of being a pro-ready pocket passer whose growth and performance in Arizona was equal parts his own short comings and bad coaching. But once Rosen actually entered the Dolphins facility, it was quickly apparent that Rosen wasn’t who everyone seemed to think he was.

when it was discovered that Rosen coudn't identify a Mike, with the experience he already had I said to myself: "wow! this kid will need some serious coaching". Now, after all the time he has been here I hope he has learned enough to go out there and show something. Im honestly not expecting much. We have the worse O-line in the NFL, and our WR/TE group is mediocre, so it will be extremely hard for him to produce anything positive under these predicaments.

when it was discovered that Rosen coudn't identify a Mike, with the experience he already had I said to myself: "wow! this kid will need some serious coaching". Now, after all the time he has been here I hope he has learned enough to go out there and show something. Im honestly not expecting much. We have the worse O-line in the NFL, and our WR/TE group is mediocre, so it will be extremely hard for him to produce anything positive under these predicaments.
I think that whole "identify the Mike" thing was taken wayyyyyy out of context.

The context was as it related to protection calls. Nothing more, nothing less.

Very few college QBs call protections, and even in the NFL, many offenses have that as the responsibility of the center.

Now, you can certainly make a case that whether calling protections was his responsibility, or not, he should understand them. I see that as a coaching failure, moreso than a player failure.

This is a pretty good article and digs right into what I always said about Bellichick and the Patriots system. They don't pick up players and ask them to get better with their strength. They ask them to be willing to work on their weaknesses. They exploit these weaknesses. Flores does the same thing. So the quote from the article
keep your head down and focus on becoming a better version of yourself than you were yesterday.
is right on.

Very few college QBs call protections, and even in the NFL, many offenses have that as the responsibility of the center.

Now, you can certainly make a case that whether calling protections was his responsibility, or not, he should understand them. I see that as a coaching failure, moreso than a player failure.

Yes, what i meant was that I too saw that as a coaching failure, not a players failure. Thats why i said that i thought Rosen needed a lot of coaching. If he stays healthy he will have 14 games to show improvement, I dont see him being able to do much more than that with our O being the way it is: No running game, Subpart OL play, Subpart WR and TE play.

Yes, what i meant was that I too saw that as a coaching failure, not a players failure. Thats why i said that i thought Rosen needed a lot of coaching. If he stays healthy he will have 14 games to show improvement, I dont see him being able to do much more than that with our O being the way it is: No running game, Subpart OL play, Subpart WR and TE play.
There is nothing a QB can do about subpar WR and TE play. That will be up to the individual players but a QB can mask certain deficiencies on the OL and running game.

This is a pretty good article and digs right into what I always said about Bellichick and the Patriots system. They don't pick up players and ask them to get better with their strength. They ask them to be willing to work on their weaknesses. They exploit these weaknesses. Flores does the same thing. So the quote from the article

is right on.
I don’t know, but I feel like Belichick might help players become more well rounded players, but he always has them play to their strengths while exploiting his opponents weaknesses. This is why their schemes change from week to week/year to year. They constantly adjust to take advantage of the skills of their current players. You don’t see him trying to shove a square peg into a round hole over and over like we always seem to.

I agree with that. A lot of coaches in college limit their QBs. That's why it is so hard to transition to the NFL for QBs. The requirements are so much more. It is also a reason why coaches prefer to sit newly drafted QBs first so they can learn the ins and outs. If you start a newly drafted QB you better have coaches who can teach on the go. Arizona had a **** pile of coaches last year.
Not identifying a mike is not a biggie. It is a biggie after being 7 years in the league but not in your first year. Flores and co threw out the Cards year last year and applied the rookie status to Rosen. They feel comfortable with him right now and decided to let him learn the rest on the field.

I don’t know, but I feel like Belichick might help players become more well rounded players, but he always has them play to their strengths while exploiting his opponents weaknesses. This is why their schemes change from week to week/year to year. They constantly adjust to take advantage of the skills of their current players. You don’t see him trying to shove a square peg into a round hole over and over like we always seem to.
Actually they do jam square pegs into round holes. One of the reason that they can adapt is because they exploited the weaknesses in players, made them more versatile, adaptable and interchangeable. The lines of weakness and strength are blurred.
One of the biggest square peg into a round hole was Edelman. Drafted as a QB and turned into a probowl, Super Bowl winning WR.

And that goes with your first sentence: Belliichick makes them well rounded players.

Flores is the first Patriots coach becoming a HC on its own who actually grew up in that system. You could call it the first branch from the Bellichick tree. All other coaches having left the Patriots came actually from somewhere else and fit themselves into the Patriots system and when they left after a couple of years they tried to do their own thing.

Ben Volin who once was a Dolphins writer but now a Pats beat writer said in an interview a few months ago: Bellichick is not worried about the Jets or Bills long term. He is worried about the Dolphins.

Back
Top Bottom