Josh Rosen Vs. Ryan Fitzpatrick | Pff | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Josh Rosen Vs. Ryan Fitzpatrick | Pff

At first I agreed we have to play Rosen no matter what but now I'm rethinking. There are other positions we want to fairly evaluate too that poor QB play would hurt, namely WR and TE. If Rosen's play is far below Fitz, I'd rather go with Fitz. We didn't pay a high price for Rosen and he won't make much money. If Rosen can't win the job outright, you draft a QB in 2020 and then let them compete too.

I agree with this 100%

From Travis at locked on dolphins..

After charting every rep.. it’s not looking good..

“Piecing together part 3 of 3 of this Rosen project which includes my scouting reports, videos, charts, and the cumulative advanced metrics (stuff like numbers from different personnel groups, numbers on contested window throws, play action, vs. pressure, that fun stuff).

The numbers are not kind. I've got him at a 36.1 passer rating into tight windows 40.6 against pressure, 72.6 from 11-personnel. 50% accuracy rate inside the red zone (just 11/22, but still), and a total accurate rate (any portion of the field) of 64.7%.

Bottom line -- he has to play a lot better.”

https://www.lockedondolphins.com/dolphins/josh-rosen-2018-passing-chart-week-17-at-seattle/

Nothing is Guaranteed that Rosen starts game one, but in my personal opinion, if Rosen does not start the beginning of the season, he will finish at the end woth more then 81% of the games started (13 games).

As for me, I do hope he impresses enough to start from day one, and that a team in dire need, asks to have Fitz services forba draft pick.

In the hopes for Tua, let's hope Rosen takes the reigns week one. Both QBs could lead the way but Rosen has already shown he can deliver on the first overall.

I fear that the organization will focus on the wrong issue. It's not Fitzpatrick v Rosen. It's Rosen v a first round quarterback next year.

I mean we all know that Cam Wake is likely still better than a young player we will replace him with this year. But keeping Wake was counterproductive to the long term.

They don't believe that, any more than you do, but that is just what coaches say.

It's impossible to make a complete assessment, without seeing a player under fire in real games, playing with starters.

I agree but I don't believe a guy who consistently practices bad is going to be great in games only. I only believe that works the other way (good in practice, bad in games). I know many will disagree but I'm saying I don't believe in the infamous "gamer". While they may have some moments consistency will be lacking.

Don't forget to get your Fitzmagic t-shirt:

https://shop.profootballfocus.com/products/miami-magic

mockup-02d8dccb_720x.jpg

Oh yea, I had to buy one.

Rosen will start at least half the season if not than Fitz is either lighting it up or Rosen truly sucks and we have our answer on wether to draft another QB.

To me I just think in this case dolphins should of giving Rosen all first team rep, because we know what fitz can do.

This whole "we get to see him everyday," so "we can evaluate him from practice" makes my stomach hurt.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed hoping that it's all coach talk. Gotta figure he'll be performing at least as well as Fitzpatrick once they get into training camp. Omar has been the Minister of Propoganda this offseason when it comes to Fitzpatrick. He keeps raving about how it's not even close at the QB position. Of course that's the case at this point.

Fitzpatrick has to play now though. The players wouldn't respect him as much just like you wouldn't respect your employer if he/she put that employee in a higher paying, leadership position and it wasn't earned.

“Piecing together part 3 of 3 of this Rosen project which includes my scouting reports, videos, charts, and the ***ulative advanced metrics (stuff like numbers from different personnel groups, numbers on contested window throws, play action, vs. pressure, that fun stuff).

The numbers are not kind. I've got him at a 36.1 passer rating into tight windows 40.6 against pressure, 72.6 from 11-personnel. 50% accuracy rate inside the red zone (just 11/22, but still), and a total accurate rate (any portion of the field) of 64.7%.

https://www.lockedondolphins.com/dolphins/josh-rosen-2018-passing-chart-week-17-at-seattle/

I haven't seen all of his video, however; from what I've read, the offensive line was a MAJOR hurdle. Literal street free agents on the Cardinals for one. That affects the numbers. Sounds like a severe situation he had to deal with last year. I'm not usually the guy who uses the OL as an excuse as to why the QB isn't performing.

Travis has some good content! Very consistent. I like to listen to a few of his podcasts back to back on the weekends.

“Piecing together part 3 of 3 of this Rosen project which includes my scouting reports, videos, charts, and the ***ulative advanced metrics (stuff like numbers from different personnel groups, numbers on contested window throws, play action, vs. pressure, that fun stuff).

Travis does a great job with the podcast...but I don’t agree with some of his opinions or assessments...nobody is always right and I’m sure he acknowledges that.

For example... he was a big believer in Tannehill.

The fact is Josh Rosen has had poor O-lines and overall surrounding talent in both College and at Arizona (in fact the NFL’s worst last year).

A seasoned vet will struggle with the NFL’s worst O-line (all 5 Arizona starters were on IR early in Rosen’s rookie year).

The fact is most NFL rookie QB’s have an adjustment period of adapting to the NFL and the speed of the game (some call it the lightbulb going on, or the game slowing down)....it’s kind of compounded with an historically bad O-line.

In 2018 Josh Rosen had less than 2.5 seconds to get rid of the ball at a percentage ranking in the top ten worst in NFL history... mix in his OC getting fired early in his rookie season and replaced by a rookie OC and you get a ridiculously hard season to evaluate a rookie QB.

So... in fairness....You have to largely throw out the 2018 season and give Rosen a stable situation to develop in and then assess what you have.

Not judge him pre-training camp on non hitting OTA’s where he just got the playbook...versus a popular 14 vet QB who is notorious for looking good in spurts and failing over the long run.

To act like his poor situation in 2018 had no effect on his rookie season Is poor evaluation in my mind.

Yes... he has to prove it and win the job... but not in OTA’s per say, and he certainly doesn’t deserve the rush to judgement by some based on the above....take a breath and let’s let it play out.

It reminds me of the rush to judgement people made on the early part of Drew Brees San Diego career.... so rush to judgement they were that they drafted Phillip Rivers to replace him.

Drew Brees is now a Super Bowl winning and Lock hall of famer and all time great....Phillip Rivers is non of the above, very good but has never really crossed the above threshold.

The point is... take a breath and let it play out...not make sweeping proclamations on the abortion of a team Arizona was in 2018.... or after non hitting OTA’s.

Omar wasn't the only beat writer saying there was no competition between Rosen and Fitzpatrick all the sports writers were saying it, even if it was only OTA's and it seems quite possible/probable that we our faced with the same exact scenario when the season is ready to start.

There is still another season of college football to be played and the college QB landscape in 2020 and 2021 may look different. Suck for Tua is premature.

We may have to give up picks to get the QB we want, may still need to build draft capitol and trading our 1st round pick in 2020 for a 1st in 2021 and 2nd in 2020 may be the easiest way to get it.

If I'm giving up multiple 1st round picks - right now I want Lawrence in 2021

Back to the point at hand why would we start Rosen if he is not ready to start, thinking that he needs to play to get better, sounds a bit like what we did with Tannehill. When Rosen starts again your hoping for a better result or his narrative would start to look like it's written in stone. We have him 3 more years before we need to make a decision, worst thing we could do to him is start him if he not ready. Quarterback decision in 2020 or 2021 doesn't have to have a absolute answer to the Rosen question, best case scenario is you end up having 2 really good QB's you can trade 1 and get a really good price if you do it the right way.

Back
Top Bottom