June 1 Cuts that could improve us/Rob Burnett | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

June 1 Cuts that could improve us/Rob Burnett

June 1 - nothing to get excited about

As I see it, other than at WR, most of the players expected to be available after June 1, are either injury prone or older than dirt. We could use a receiver, but the top ones - Robinson, McCardell, Freeman, Alexander are going to be courted heavily by teams like Tampa, KC, Minnesota, et al and will not play for the veteran minimum. Same goes for Marco Coleman, who I didn't much care for when we had him. I'm fine with our WRs the way they are. I love Chambers and Gadsden and McKnight is fine as a 3rd WR. Ward and Simmons (who I hope beats out Ogden) provide good depth. I donnot want Chris Carter. I believe he can still play, but I don't think there's room for his mouth on this team.

I think we should sign Rob Burnett right now and then go to war with what we've got.

Re: Re: NOT GOING TO HAPPEN YET....

Originally posted by Ozzy
Right now they don't want to cut anyone, but if need be there are four or five players that can be cut to gain some cap money. Wooden, Ogden, Ward, and or Perry. Another name I keep hearing is one I don't want to see on that list........Gadsden.

If it's a WR I would bet money on Gadsden. Wanny/Spielman already restructured Wards contract and basically committed to him for 3 more years. It was one of the early moves we made. However Gadsden has been kept in limbo so far. Just makes too much sense that it has to be Gadsden for instant salary cap relief. We are looking at a 1.35 million savings minus the signing bonus given to him. So at least 1 million just by cutting him which is far greater then anyone else on that list.

Re: June 1 - nothing to get excited about

Originally posted by NYDolfan
I'm fine with our WRs the way they are. I love Chambers and Gadsden and McKnight is fine as a 3rd WR. Ward and Simmons (who I hope beats out Ogden) provide good depth. I donnot want Chris Carter. I believe he can still play, but I don't think there's room for his mouth on this team.

Gadsden is a FA after this season and won't be back. It would be nice if we could settle out WR for a couple years and be able to draft a 2nd/3rd rounder on a WR to groom for a year.

Originally posted by Smacks
I have been trying to think of reasons why the Phins should sign Burnett. For his leadership? Another veteran on the DL? His sack abilities?
I am not sold on him. He is NO Trace Armstrong. To think he will come in on obvious passing downs and led the pass rush is not a sure thing. What will make him a good pick-up? 4 sacks, 5 ? How many pressures does he need to have?
Just having a named player doesn't mean he will work out. Burnett will be 35 when the season begins and his best days seem to be behind him.
Miami must wait till after June 1st to see who will be available. Lets get some more DE's in there and work them out. No reason to be hasty. If Miami loses the Burnett race, they will be able to find someone else to help out at DE.

He WON'T come in on passing downs. At least not in front of DAVID BOWENS. Burnett can rush the passer. But IMO, the reason the Phins want him is because he's a veteran, all-around DE. He's one of the strongest DEs out there. So if DG goes down, Burnett will have no trouble holding up at the point of attack.

We won't be brining Burnett in to be Trace Armstrong. That's David Bowens' role. I know you're not sold on him, but Mark Dixon is. The Dolhpins OL has recommended him to Wanny. I think it will be a strong signing.

Fina played on hurting knees most of last season, especially early. Still, even when healthy his play has tailed off significantly, and he was never a very physical LT. If Fina has any future in the league it would be as an interior lineman. If you guys want him, no Buffalo fan would begrudge that move. LOL We're pretty excited about the look of our Oline this year. Just to let you know what Buffalo's looking at: Mike Williams will stat at his college spot, RT. Rueben Brown stays at left guard. The present thought is that Trey Teague will play LT. He was OK at LT for Denver, if not great. He was also coming off a major knee injury the year before (I think an ACL or something like it). Often it takes more than a year to really hea; fully from reconstructive surgery like that. We're hoping he'll improve on what he did for Denver. Jonas Jennings is being tried at center. If he can make the switch, and Teague or someone can man left tackle, he'll be the starter in the middle. The Buffalo coaches are very impressed with his athleticism at 6'3" and 320 lbs. Kevin Gilbride thinks he can be one of the elite centers in the league. Jerry Ostroski probably will start at right tackle, but the Bills are very hopeful that Marques Sullivan, a rookie last year will push for a starting position either at right guard or left tackle. They like his athleticism too, but last year he was very immature. Marcus Price gives Buffalo a proven backup at tackle. Conaty, who started and played most of last season with a bad shoulder, will probably back up center this year. Hulsey, who started a lot of games last year when Ostroski was out, will compete for a backup job with the rookie Pucillo.

It will be interesting to see how our respective teams lines turn out. Buffalo still has some questions about where people will fit, the the coaching staff is excited that the line seems to have a whole lot more quality than a year ago. What has Wannstadt and his staff been saying about your line? We in WNY are having a hard time believing that Nails is changed from the undermotivated and overweight lout he was in Buffalo. Stranger things have happened though.

We're very excited also, especially with the introduction of Leon Searcy and the rookie McKinney.

TigerJ.....
Ya it will be interesting to see how long Nails will stay motivated, but I think a lot of people believe being out of the league completely last year was a wake up call, and a sorely needed one. He is down to 340lbs, and if he stays at that weight we have ourselves a player. I believe his lowest playing weight in Buffalo was around 350, so he is on the right path. But, that is one big IF! We have all known for a long time that they guy has the talent to be a very good OG in this league, but his motivation and work habits leave a lot to be desired.

But like i said, his weight is down NOW, so it will be interesting to see if he can maintain this new found motivation. We all hope he keeps it for a long time in Miami.

PS you should have a message in your private message folder.

Back
Top Bottom