June 1 Cuts that could improve us/Rob Burnett | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

June 1 Cuts that could improve us/Rob Burnett

phinsphan4ever

Welcome to Miami Daunte!!
Reaction score
More on DE Rob Burnett..........

It appears as though Rob is drawing some interest to a few teams around the league.

Patriots | Burnett to Visit - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
20:29 PT: ESPN's John Clayton reports free agent DE Rob Burnett (Ravens) will meet with the New England Patriots later this week.

If we're going to sign Rob to a contract, the front office should make a move soon.

NOT GOING TO HAPPEN YET....

The game plan for the DOlphins is to just be patient.....and wait to see who will be on that JUNE 1st casualty list.

Its not like BURNETT is a must-sign now player....the Dolphins can afford to wait this thing out.

They are hedging that BURNETT will make his rounds....and get pretty much the same veteran-minimum offers...which if that is indeed the case....then the DOLphins feel that they still will have BURNETT available.....just when they want to make their decision....just after JUNE 1st.

The game plan is a patient and methodical approach.....

The visit was a good as expected....as the DOlphins coaches pretty much explained what BURNETT's role on the team would be.

BURNETT will make his rounds....but unless somebody overpays.....he should be available...just as well....in two weeks...as he is to us today.
DCH

"Part of his comfort level with the Dolphins has to do with the coaching staff. Burnett played for Bates in Cleveland for four years and for Brooks during his collegiate days at Syracuse"

I'm not completely familiar with Burnett's collegiate career.....did he transfer from Syracuse or is that just a typo? I know he gtaduated from FSU.

Originally posted by Bodzilla29
"Part of his comfort level with the Dolphins has to do with the coaching staff. Burnett played for Bates in Cleveland for four years and for Brooks during his collegiate days at Syracuse"

I'm not completely familiar with Burnett's collegiate career.....did he transfer from Syracuse or is that just a typo? I know he gtaduated from FSU.
he graduated from 'Cuse - http://football.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=1734

June 1 Cuts that could improve us

Some interesting names are on the proposed lists of probable June 1 cuts. Ray Brown of the 49ers is a great run blocking guard and will most likely be out there. He is 39 but he could very well step in and help us move the pile THIS year. John Fina will be there and at 33 is still a premier LT, he might be out of our price range wouldn't it be great to have LT solved by a tough durable (missed something like 12 games in 10 years) veteran. Buffalo drafted Mike Williams so Fina and his high salary are probably gone.Raider guard Steve Wisniewski is another guy that could be out there. Bills' TE Jay Riemersma is being asked to take a salary cut and my gut feeling is that he will but I can remember another Jay (Novachek) fittting in very well with Norvs' offense. I've already talked about our need for another reciever and if CC is not on the radar screen I hope McCardell is. I know Freeman fell off but would we really rather have McKnight. I wouldn't because this guy has a habit of just killing you dead sometimes. I don't trust him. I like Ward but he seems to have a permanently injured foot. Lets make a run at McCardell!! GO FISH!!!!!

Wiesnewski retired, and Oakland will retain his rites if he comes back.....Fina is HORRIBLE!!!! he is getting released because his play has fallen off so far, to call him a premier LT at this point is laughable, no offence.

I hate Riemersma, but wouldn't be apposed to bringing him in at a low price.

McCardell over Freeman any day of the week. Freeman is no better than what we have now. His big contract and fall off in play are a little to coincidental, and his attitude is lousy, which Wann-Spiel generally avoid.

Ray Brown is an option, but you have to wonder about his age, even if last year was a good one, you can't really count on another one like it, especially in different circumstances. Not out of the question, but highly unlikely.

I got a football signed by Ray Brown. That would be cool if we got him :p.

He's good, and has seems to have been getting better with age, 39 is pretty damn old though.

Re: NOT GOING TO HAPPEN YET....

Originally posted by DIRTYCASHHOLDIN
The game plan for the DOlphins is to just be patient.....and wait to see who will be on that JUNE 1st casualty list.

Its not like BURNETT is a must-sign now player....the Dolphins can afford to wait this thing out.

They are hedging that BURNETT will make his rounds....and get pretty much the same veteran-minimum offers...which if that is indeed the case....then the DOLphins feel that they still will have BURNETT available.....just when they want to make their decision....just after JUNE 1st.

The game plan is a patient and methodical approach.....

The visit was a good as expected....as the DOlphins coaches pretty much explained what BURNETT's role on the team would be.

BURNETT will make his rounds....but unless somebody overpays.....he should be available...just as well....in two weeks...as he is to us today.
DCH

Thats a fact DCH, right now the only two DE's worth mentioning are Burnett, and Sinclair. Both would most likely recieve one or two year deals, because of their age. They surely want to spend what money they have left wisely! It's best that they wait to see who gets cut, and who wants what money. And things definetly don't have to happen right away. There is a good 4-5 week window to get the roster set for the real Training Camp. Being patient make total sense.

As it stands the Dolphins have the lowest amount of money set aside for their draft picks. Leaving them with just under 2 mil to sign one or two players. Plus they can further increase that amount with a cut or two on or after June 1st. Right now they don't want to cut anyone, but if need be there are four or five players that can be cut to gain some cap money. Wooden, Ogden, Ward, and or Perry. Another name I keep hearing is one I don't want to see on that list........Gadsden.

I know for sure they want to see what kind of offers McCardel gets, and if he can be signed or another starting caliber Wr for around 1.25, 1.5 mil, and get Burnett or Sinclair, that's their perfect scenario to start Camp with

Not sold yet

I have been trying to think of reasons why the Phins should sign Burnett. For his leadership? Another veteran on the DL? His sack abilities?
I am not sold on him. He is NO Trace Armstrong. To think he will come in on obvious passing downs and led the pass rush is not a sure thing. What will make him a good pick-up? 4 sacks, 5 ? How many pressures does he need to have?
Just having a named player doesn't mean he will work out. Burnett will be 35 when the season begins and his best days seem to be behind him.
Miami must wait till after June 1st to see who will be available. Lets get some more DE's in there and work them out. No reason to be hasty. If Miami loses the Burnett race, they will be able to find someone else to help out at DE.

other guys that would help us are marco coleman who is younger and better than burnett and sinclair and also blake brockermeyer or john fina...it will all come down to money...i agree with you that we need another wr mccardell or carter...

Back
Top Bottom