June 1st : Defense Or Offense??? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

June 1st : Defense Or Offense???

BLITZKRIEG

~LACUNA LEGIONS~
Reaction score
I'm aware that the Phinz are considering bringing in some more depth at DE. I question this....

IMO, we need more beef on the OL instead....

With injuries to M. Dixon, M. Spiggs, and B. Smith, I think that the OL is still in need of more depth in case those returning dont get the job done....

Bringing in L. Searcy will most likey put RG T. Perry where he belongs(on the bench). B. Smith hasn't looked very good during his return, and M. Spriggs is back up material at best.

The injury to M. Dixon was a bad one. Bad enough for him to consider retirement. In 2000, this OL was excellent, and within one off-season, and the loss of R. Webb, and K. Donnalley it hit rock bottom......

The injuries are worrying me still. Will they have what it takes to stay productive for 16+ games???......IMO, the depth on the OL needs to considered the most important June 1st area of focus.

The DL is strong with J. Haley, D. Bowens, A. Ogunleye, and E. Grant. The OL depth isn't so deep, and it has a much higher hill to climb IMO.

PHINZ RULE!!!:rocker:

:monkey: JETS SUCK!!!

Originally posted by BLITZKRIEG
I'm aware that the Phinz are considering bringing in some more depth at DE. I question this....

IMO, we need more beef on the OL instead....

The DL is strong with J. Haley, D. Bowens, A. Ogunleye, and E. Grant. The OL depth isn't so deep, and it has a much higher hill to climb IMO.
I disagree - DG is starting a DE for the first time in his career; and could be hurt at any moment. D. Bowens and A. Ogunleye give us depth in the pass rush area, but we need another DE that can hold the point of attack, i.e. Rob Burnett or Marco Coleman.

I also do not know of any OLmen that are better than our that will be available 6/1.

Hi all, I'm new to posting here, but not new to reading here..You guys do a great job of analyzing the league, players, and especially the Dolphins and this division..I'm orginally from Fort Lauderdale, FL, born and raised. I presently live in Maryland. but have followed the dolphins since they started back in '66..Don Shula's arrival really got me excited and he didn't disappoint.

Now on to the post,, I agree that we should make all efforts to get quality backups who can start if possible in the June 1 sweepstake,,Lineman are the life blood of any football team, Jay, Ricky, Chris, Orlando, McKnight, Ward, Konrad won't have a chance without them,,,Last year showed that very plainly. The backups were just that, backups..and it showed,,we need backups who can start. That's were Miami should put their money.

My favorite note from Wednesday's practice:

Wannstedt was pleased with someone Wednesday: quarterback Jay Fiedler.

''He was one guy who was in midseason form,'' Wannstedt said. ``He had an excellent day throwing the ball.''

Followed by.............

• Dan Marino visited training camp.

What ever happen to Blake Brockenmeyer? Is he still available? I know Wanny-Speil earlier said he would not be signed, but maybe that has changed?

welcome aboard MDFINFAN

:band:

I still do not see any obvious FA's or 6/1 cuts on the OL that are obviously better than Smith, Spriggs or Nails and not too old or injured :confused:

Im surprised the guy who coached Brockermeyer and brings in everyone he coached wouldn't bring him in. We need an LT badly, signing him would make perfect sense, but we haven't done it. :yell:

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
Im surprised the guy who coached Brockermeyer and brings in everyone he coached wouldn't bring him in. We need an LT badly, signing him would make perfect sense, but we haven't done it. :yell:
probably because his health is just as much of a concern as Dixon, Smith and Spriggs'

Alonzo Mayes, Todd Perry, Cade McNown are the only players that we have signed from Chicago. Hardly bringing in every Bear that has been on the market. That is 3 players on a 53 man roster, and they are all projected as backups and/or roster cuts.

I do not qualify Wooden as an ex-Bear because I think him coming back was more of getting back to where he was comfortable and knew the team. He was a Dolphin first.

Brockermeyer is still out there along with Pete Pierson of Wash.
Chicago wants Brockermyer back, but like the Dolphins at the right price. I don't think Miami wants a bidding war with Chicago, since they have an agreement with Brockermeyer's agent to let them know of all bids. Plus Miami has lost one of those to Chicago already..Your right D39, the pickings for OL is slim. Most of the good and not so good are taken.
These are projected OL releases for June 1:

John Fina LT. Buf
Ray Brown G SF
Ethan OL Wash He's pretty versitol (sp)

I quess that leaves us to stock up on D Players to stop any opposing team.

We need those dominating DEs back. In the last two years we have lost Trace, Bromell, and Mixon to name a few. One man and a converted DT wont make our DE corps as good as it always was. We need one more veteran to step in there. I like Coleman and he seems to have mutual interest in us. Burnett would add experience to the team though he is getting old. Right now we have one player on our team that has been top 2 DE on depth charts.

bod i think there are more than just those 3 players from the bears
mayes te
mcnown qb
perry g
wallace de
henry taylor dt
sanford sulecio wr pr kr
marlon barnes rb
cedric donaldson db
they are on all currently on the active roster from the bears

Back
Top Bottom