Just a gut feeling...Dave Ragone will join the Dolphins in 2006 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Just a gut feeling...Dave Ragone will join the Dolphins in 2006

Gladsadmad

Active Roster
Reaction score
Which ever QB falters between Feeley & Frerotte will likely be let go and Miami will be on the lookout for a good, young QB prospect. I don't think the Fins will have a high enough draft pick to land a top rookie (I hope they won't). I see Ragone as a very nice prospect. With David Carr in Houston, he should be available at a reasonable price.

What makes me think Ragone is a future QB candidate?

Scott Linehan (Dolphins OC) was the Louisville Cardinal offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach from 2000 to 2001...the first 2 years Ragone started there. Ragone was named as the Conference USA Offensive Player of the Year both of those years. His stats..

2000....61%...2,621 yds....33 TD's...11 INT's
2001....60%...3,056 yds....26 TD's....7 INT's
2002....54%...2,880 yds....24 TD's...11 INT's

He has barely played in the 2 years under Carr, but the Texans did send him to NFL Europe to develop and he was outstanding. Obviously the talent is crap over there, but at least he was successful which continues to show some potential. His stats in NFLE...

2005....63%...1,746 yds...13 TD's...2 INT's (in 10 gms)

Ragone was 30 for 48 for 328 yds and 3 TD's in the World Bowl and was named NFL Europe League Offensive MVP. These numbers can be taken with a grain of salt, but If a guy has any NFL potential he should stand out over there amongst the turds.

Some experts see some Jake Delhomme in him.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8601785

"He absolutely knows where he's going to go with the ball," said one AFC scout, "and he's going to beat you with timing." His poise in the pocket reminds you of another NFL Europe graduate, Jake Delhomme, and it may be as hard for Ragone to get a crack at starting in the NFL as it was for Delhomme, who sat for five years in New Orleans. "The flaw in this guy's game," said another scout, "is that he plays behind David Carr. He won't get a chance until he leaves Houston."

He's only 25. I just have a feeling...

Nice theory. I think whether or not it happens could depend on whether Gus Frerotte gets the starting job, and how well he does. If Gus does well, Saban would probably be inclined to follow Linehan's advice about which QBs are good for his system etc. If Gus falls flat on his face, Linehan won't have as much credibility when he comes up and tells Saban that Ragone would look great in his system.

i was thinking the other day...about qbs on a team who i think could be good starters...and i ended up with him being one of the top ones

He was the guy I was yelling at the Fins to draft in 03, instead of Moore and Smith. After he was picked I got pissed and hoped for Simms, but instead they took Whitley :yell:

Jaj said:
He was the guy I was yelling at the Fins to draft in 03, instead of Moore and Smith. After he was picked I got pissed and hoped for Simms, but instead they took Whitley :yell:
Wow...that stinks..as does Whitley.

Well, I'll keep on an eye on Ragone this year just in case Carr gets hurt just to see if he has any potential.

Gladsadmad said:
Which ever QB falters between Feeley & Frerotte will likely be let go and Miami will be on the lookout for a good, young QB prospect. I don't think the Fins will have a high enough draft pick to land a top rookie (I hope they won't). I see Ragone as a very nice prospect. With David Carr in Houston, he should be available at a reasonable price.

Scott Linehan (Dolphins OC) was the Louisville Cardinal offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach from 2000 to 2001...the first 2 years Ragone started there. Ragone was named as the Conference USA Offensive Player of the Year both of those years. His stats..

He has barely played in the 2 years under Carr, but the Texans did send him to NFL Europe to develop and he was outstanding. Obviously the talent is crap over there, but at least he was successful which continues to show some potential. His stats in NFLE...

Ragone was 30 for 48 for 328 yds and 3 TD's in the World Bowl and was named NFL Europe League Offensive MVP. These numbers can be taken with a grain of salt, but If a guy has any NFL potential he should stand out over there amongst the turds.

"He absolutely knows where he's going to go with the ball," said one AFC scout, "and he's going to beat you with timing." His poise in the pocket reminds you of another NFL Europe graduate, Jake Delhomme, and it may be as hard for Ragone to get a crack at starting in the NFL as it was for Delhomme, who sat for five years in New Orleans. "The flaw in this guy's game," said another scout, "is that he plays behind David Carr. He won't get a chance until he leaves Houston."

Sound theory except for one flaw in it...Saban has shown and said that he is very reluctant to part with draft choices. That being said, how else would we have a chance at him ?? He isn't going to get cut by Houston, especially after his good NFLE season. They'll expect something for him...do we give up a 2nd rounder for another as yet really unproven QB ?? Could that be the AJ thing all over again ?? IF we draft Wright in the supplemental (as some believe) for say a 3rd rounder and give up a 2nd rounder (I would think at least) for Raggone...where does that leave us in the 2006 draft ?? Slim again and everyone will be complaining again that we don't have a full compliment of picks...I just don't see it happening that way...I wouldn't mind, but it's too much of a risk for Saban at this time...

Good call. I think that's definitely a possibility. Another, of course, is that Feeley benefits from Lineman's coaching and maybe we won't need another qb. But if that doesn't happen, I would think Dave Ragone and Rohan Davey would be high on Saban's list.

To think we could have drafted Ragone instead of Taylor Whitney. Oh well, we have to look ahead and forget the past.

I think we're done getting other teams' backups. If we don't have a top 5 pick in this draft we'll take someone in the second or third round and groom him, I just can't see us trading for another QB.

Gladsadmad said:

Good post, I am impressed with what he has done maybe we could save a pick(in getting a QB) and get him, who knows?

What has Ragone done to make anyone think he is better than Feeley? Feeley played well in his few starts with Philly, when he actually had an offensive coordinator. How would Feeley do in NFL Europe? I think he'd have excellent stats also.

jlfin said:
What has Ragone done to make anyone think he is better than Feeley? Feeley played well in his few starts with Philly, when he actually had an offensive coordinator. How would Feeley do in NFL Europe? I think he'd have excellent stats also.

Its just a suggestion dude. You're probably right, however, its just something to think about.

LarryFinFan said:
Sound theory except for one flaw in it...Saban has shown and said that he is very reluctant to part with draft choices. That being said, how else would we have a chance at him ?? He isn't going to get cut by Houston, especially after his good NFLE season. They'll expect something for him...do we give up a 2nd rounder for another as yet really unproven QB ?? Could that be the AJ thing all over again ?? IF we draft Wright in the supplemental (as some believe) for say a 3rd rounder and give up a 2nd rounder (I would think at least) for Raggone...where does that leave us in the 2006 draft ?? Slim again and everyone will be complaining again that we don't have a full compliment of picks...I just don't see it happening that way...I wouldn't mind, but it's too much of a risk for Saban at this time...

Giving up another 2nd for someone's bench fodder isn't enticing. The last time we heard that "He's another like Delhomme" stuff got us Feeley. I hope the next QB for this team is already on the roster, or will be drafted next April and could contribute immediately. Another Marino story is probably a lot to hope for, but I'll do just that.

I am sure that Ragone will be a starting QB soon, but i for one am tired of getting unproven QB to start for us. I want a QB that has been an NFL starter and did a good job at it too.

PhinDude88 said:
I am sure that Ragone will be a starting QB soon, but i for one am tired of getting unproven QB to start for us. I want a QB that has been an NFL starter and did a good job at it too.

:confused: how would we get a guy like that?

Back
Top Bottom