Just a question. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Just a question.

BigFin

Rookie
Reaction score
As a Phin Fan in NC, I have had to read all the training camp reports in order to keep up. I also keep up with our divisional rivals as well. In doing this I do get frustrated with front office decisions. Anyway back to my point.

In 1983 we drafted a QB in the first round of the draft. Dan Marino. As we all know Dan retired in 2000 and ever since the position has been a revolving door as had been the Coaching position. What baffles my mind is that all of these coach walked in knowing the QB position needed to be addressed in a major way but never drafted to address the problem.

It's so obvious to all of us the our major problem is the QB position and currently our roster includes: Chad Henne - a second round pick who is a coach killer. (Coach Killer- a player who flashes brilliance ever so often the makes you want to keep him in the line up but makes you endure the failers that will cost you your job). Matt Moore who's an undrafted guy, Pat Devlin - another undrafted guy and then O'connell.

Will we ever draft a 1st round QB?

This regime wont no, but......... If Henne struggles again this year and this Regime survives somehow, The hope is Daboll will push to draft a 1st round QB.

I was the first to knock the Daboll signing, hated it personally. But we have been hearing all offseason people describe his scheme as aggresive and attacking and i personally laughed at the notion. But after seeing 1 practice a few weeks ago and watching our 1st preseason games i have backed off tremendously.

Seems Daboll scheme truly is attacking and aggressive but just missing a trigger man. I would hope that if the case we were stuck with this Regime again next offseason that Daboll would make his case to go after a 1st Round QB.
Chubbs

You could have just joined in on any of the many threads asking this same question.

I have only been here a little while, but If I had nickel for every post similar to this, I would have enough to pay out the entire University of Miami football team.

Nothing new here ...

Who did you want at the 15th pick?

Who did you want to start on our O line?

Stop bashing the pick dude its something we desperately needed as well

Who did you want at the 15th pick?
Wanted them to trade up to get Gabbert.
Still think we could have made a play for Newton.
Should have drafted Mallet.

Who did you want to start on our O line?
With all the wasted picks and money spent the last 3 years OL shouldnt even have been an issue this past draft.

Stop bashing the pick dude its something we desperately needed as well
Needed yes but why was it needed is the problem.

Either way it is what it is. Lets go Fins!
Chubbs

There was Mallet for instance whose only knocks were that he was a stand and deliver guy and had an alleged drug problem. He was viewed by many at a first round talent. Dan Marino had the same issues coming out of Pitt in 83. However Mallet lasted to the 4th round because of all the character issues reported by the media that now tend to scare off most teams. I don't want to beat a dead horse here but mallet this is not a "we should have drafted Mallet" deal.

This is a front office thing. Why are they making such crappy decisions? In 2009 we had a dominant O-line. Remember that we ran through the Jets defense at will on that Monday night game. The announcers were in awe at how we mauled the jets line. Our line consisted of long, smiley, grove, Thomas, and Carey. The next offseason we cut the entire interior of the line and we've been hurting ever since. Really? I can understand someone losing their job because they lost to competition in camp but at least you should keep them on the team and hope for improved performance. That just never made sense to me at all.

In 2010 draft they passed on Dez Bryant in the draft for Odrick. We had Merling, Starks, McDaniel, there and the rest of the draft to get a DE. Why not get a playmaker opposite Marshall? How would have last year been if our WR corps were Marshall and Bryant with Bess in the slot?
This year we didn’t even try for Zack Miller or Greg Olsen at TE now that is viewed as a weakness area. Bottom line is that we had plenty of opportunity to address many areas this offseason and simply did not.

I would have enough to pay out the entire University of Miami football team.
Does that include strippers and yacht rides? That's how they roll at the U.

There was Mallet for instance whose only knocks were that he was a stand and deliver guy and had an alleged drug problem. He was viewed by many at a first round talent.
Every other team passed on him twice, that says something. All of the other good QB's were already taken. The 2010 O-line sucked and needed an upgrade so they wen't with option #2. We'll see in a couple of weeks how it works out.

In 2010 draft they passed on Dez Bryant in the draft for Odrick.
At that time everybody was still pretty high on Henne based on his performance in 2009. QB wasn't perceived as much of a need as it is now. Word on the street was Henne was going to be the next big QB in the league. In 2009 the D was the Dolphins weak spot and they focused on fixing that problem. The moves they made to fix the D worked. Nobody can dispute that.

The front office aren't making crappy decisions, they are addressing problems the best they can. You can't fix everything in one season. That doesn't mean they are perfect but if you actually stop and think about some of the choices they have made they do make some sense.

Back
Top Bottom