Just A Thought About The Draft. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Just A Thought About The Draft.

fins317

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
Yes, it is that time of year when we as dolphin fans get pumped up about the draft. This is the misery we are use to coming up to the Super Bowl, once again dreaming about what could be. Call me crazy, but I like the QB Daniel Jones out of Duke after watching some highlights. He could fall to us and if he does, I say draft him and see how it pans out in the upcoming season instead of tanking for a QB next year if we are able to grab him. If he does not work out, well we will probably be bad enough for the next draft to get another QB. I do not think we sell the farm in this draft to move up as that would be the 2020 draft and out of desperation that year. If he is off the board before our pick, fine, BPA.

I could definitely see that happening. I think scouts are going to differ a little from fans as far as their rankings for the quarterbacks. A lot will depend on the intangibles and factors we don't know about.

When all is said and done, I think Haskins will be the top quarterback on probably every team's list. Lock might be #2 with Jones and Murray battling for that third spot, depending on how scouts feel about the possibility of baseball with Murray.

I'm not a fan of this year's QB crop. If I had to rate a top 3 it would be Kyler Murray, Drew Lock, and Will Grier. Murray can throw and is electric. Not really the type for the system we'll run and at his size/style is always going to be an injury risk as well as a risk to opt out of football all together, but IMHO he's the most talented QB in this draft. Drew Lock is the prototypical big strong pocket passer with a high ceiling … but he had a full college career and he's still not polished enough for me, so I'm not really sure he ever will be. Will Grier has faced controversy and succeeded, is extremely productive, and looks to be the ideal type of QB for the Patriots system, he's accurate and makes good decisions. But, he doesn't have a strong arm, isn't particularly big or athletic, and at his age has probably hit his ceiling already.

If that sounds like damning with feint praise, well it is. IMHO, there simply isn't our answer at QB in the 2019 draft. If I were able to jump ahead to 2020, I'd be extremely excited about Jake Fromm. Everybody else is going gaga over Tua (solid QB) or Justin Herbert (drool-worthy tools but needs polish), but IMHO, the answer is Jake Fromm. Great precise pocket passer who makes quick and correct decisions, throws accurately, has good out routes, and scores. He's the guy we need leading the Dolphins into the next decade or so.

"If he doesn't work out we can just draft another QB next year" is not how it works in the NFL and it shouldn't be that way. You take a QB with full conviction that's he's your guy. I'm not taking a QB and hoping he's the one. I'm taking him because I know he's the one.

Tua and Murray are those dudes

I'm not a fan of this year's QB crop. If I had to rate a top 3 it would be Kyler Murray, Drew Lock, and Will Grier. Murray can throw and is electric. Not really the type for the system we'll run and at his size/style is always going to be an injury risk as well as a risk to opt out of football all together, but IMHO he's the most talented QB in this draft. Drew Lock is the prototypical big strong pocket passer with a high ceiling … but he had a full college career and he's still not polished enough for me, so I'm not really sure he ever will be. Will Grier has faced controversy and succeeded, is extremely productive, and looks to be the ideal type of QB for the Patriots system, he's accurate and makes good decisions. But, he doesn't have a strong arm, isn't particularly big or athletic, and at his age has probably hit his ceiling already.

If that sounds like damning with feint praise, well it is. IMHO, there simply isn't our answer at QB in the 2019 draft. If I were able to jump ahead to 2020, I'd be extremely excited about Jake Fromm. Everybody else is going gaga over Tua (solid QB) or Justin Herbert (drool-worthy tools but needs polish), but IMHO, the answer is Jake Fromm. Great precise pocket passer who makes quick and correct decisions, throws accurately, has good out routes, and scores. He's the guy we need leading the Dolphins into the next decade or so.

I see your point and I lean your way about the draft prospects of the 2019 draft. I am not a big proponent of Murray simply because of having Pat White PTSD! If we draft him, he will be doomed. If some other team drafts him, we will probably be saying "see, I told you so" as he will be a pro-bowl QB for ten years in a row. We have just simply failed as a system since Marino to develop future prospective QB's and now we will pay the piper. If one of the top three, not Murray because he will go play in MLB then, land in our lap, we should take him (as long as scouting reports and homework does not unveil a fatal flaw). Look at how many first round QB busts there have been. As far as me being skewered on this site, oh well, I have been skewered longer than that being a Fin Fan since 1970.

No qb will prosper unprotected.
Protect it before you wreck it. Was a speech given to us in sex ed.

"If he doesn't work out we can just draft another QB next year" is not how it works in the NFL and it shouldn't be that way. You take a QB with full conviction that's he's your guy. I'm not taking a QB and hoping he's the one. I'm taking him because I know he's the one.

Tua and Murray are those dudes

I think there are too many busts and too many unknowns. It is that philosophy that has let us grind it out with Tannehill. Look at the total number of first round busts there are in the history of the draft. We just may not hit on it which in any good business, you have to acknowledge the error an move on. I am not saying to trade up but, just like Tunsil fell in our lap, we would need to take a hard look at the top three and not wait another year and hope we are bad enough to draft higher. Come on, we are Dolphin fans, we had to win the one game to lose out on the Andrew Luck Sweepstakes and cannot wait for another year for a possible player.

Shouldn't this be in the Draft Forum. Just saying.

Yes it should be. Any talk about Daniel Jones, Easton Stick, Stidham, and other irrelevant late rounds nonsense should be in the draft forum where those guys love to talk about that stuff.

But here, we should talk about what matters, the Ferrari to win the race: Murray, Lock, Haskins. And we should talk about why the GM has not yet traded up to #1 or #2 to be in a position to take a Ferrari!

If Jones is there at 13 it isn't a fall and if Miami took him at 13 it would be a reach.

I wouldn't take him with pick #100 tbh

I see NOTHING in him

He's hardly lighting up practice at the Senior Bowl, just watched an interview with him also and he just doesn't come over well at all, complete contrast to Drew Lock, those two should be nowhere near each other on draft night, if they are then Lock dropped like a stone or someone massively reached on Jones.

Back
Top Bottom