Just curious | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Just curious

phinfan2003

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
I'm just wondering how people who bashed Mueller last year when he interviewed for the GM job and completely were against him becoming our GM feel now. Does the fact that Saban made the hire make it easier to deal with? Some of the people around here have the "if Saban likes him then I like him" mentality so I'm curious to find out if anyone's attitude about Mueller did a 180. Personally, my top choice last year (and this year for that matter) was Phil Savage. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I feel the same way I always have. The guy knows what he's doin and if Saban likes him, he's ok in my book.

Same as I did then: loose cannon, not bad on drafting, makes too many roster changes that don't amount to a hill of beans and contributes to instability. Madden 2005 approach to FA.

I hope Saban doesn't just rubber stamp the stuff this guy comes up and keeps a tight leash on him.

idk, but all i know it isnt smart to bash him he is a good GM and he will do good things for MIami

painnotpleasure said:
Why exactly for Mueller bahsed so much when we interviewed him for the GM job last year??

People didn't want him because of his reputation from his job with the Saints. It was rumored that he was very arrogant and had an antagonistic relationship w/ the HC. I don't know too much about him to comment on the situation but I wanted Savage because of his track record w/ the Ravens.

My opinion hasn't changed. This is the first Saban move that I am not in full support.(see Agua's post for details)

Now for the obligatory, "I hope I'm wrong." :)

whatsburning said:
I don't think anyone on Saban's staff has his rubber stamp. It seems to me that Saban has the last say in all operations.

Yeah, but I hope he *seriously* analyzes the stuff Mule comes up with. You know what I mean. The significance of "final say" depends on how it's exercised.

Agua said:
Same as I did then: loose cannon, not bad on drafting, makes too many roster changes that don't amount to a hill of beans and contributes to instability. Madden 2005 approach to FA.

I hope Saban doesn't just rubber stamp the stuff this guy comes up and keeps a tight leash on him.

Hey aqua, how was he a loose cannon? I'm not refuting that he isn't I just don't know too much about him and I want to know more of why people were adamant about him not being the GM.

inFINSible said:
My opinion hasn't changed. This is the first Saban move that I am not in full support.(see Agua's post for details)

Now for the obligatory, "I hope I'm wrong." :)

Yea. I get a bad feeling about a Saints castoff. It's true Saban has the last say but it would be better to have a capable guy in tehre so Saban can use his energy on coaching instead of keeping a staff on his page. Hope I'm wrong too. Of course, why would Saban want him in there if he didn't like him?

I guess my opinion depends on exactly what his duties will be and what authority he'll have. I know Saban has final, ultimate control, but how will his position compare to say, Spielman's last year or a Pioli type? Bottom line is Saban has systematically built a staff, acquired free agents, run our draft and objectively dealt with players like Ricky and Boston. I just can't see him hiring Mueller if he didn't think he'd be an asset that he could work with and control.

islandah said:
I guess my opinion depends on exactly what his duties will be and what authority he'll have. I know Saban has final, ultimate control, but how will his position compare to say, Spielman's last year or a Pioli type? Bottom line is Saban has systematically built a staff, acquired free agents, run our draft and objectively dealt with players like Ricky and Boston. I just can't see him hiring Mueller if he didn't think he'd be an asset that he could work with and control.

The saints hired him thinking they could control him, no one hires someone with the thought I can't control him, Nick's a risk taker, which the football field I like, but in business may ruin this organization..

MDFINFAN said:
The saints hired him thinking they could control him, no one hires someone with the thought I can't control him, Nick's a risk taker, which the football field I like, but in business may ruin this organization..

How do you ruin an organization that was 4-12 last year, had your franchise player retire rather than play for the coaching staff that was here, had a coaching staff that was in complete disarray, had a HOF QB accept and then resign from a front office position, had an OC that relinquished the job due to "exhaustion," had his completely unqualified replacement named in front of 1 or 2 more qualified coaches, had a GM that was admittedly in an impossible situation giving away the farm for mediocre players and generally get taken at every negotiating situation, and had virtually every outside player/coach/consultant (Ron Wolf) run away from us when asked to join up?

I'm willing to let Nick have a little room to operate here, myself.

My opinion hasn't changed. Mule definately has some negatives and wouldn't be my choice. That's why I found all those "why so negative" and "stop bashing him" threads so stupid. I should change my opinion b/c Saban picked him? If that's the case why even bother having an opinion? Lets just wait until Saban tells us what we should think. Too many people seem to think their heroes are infallible.

Back
Top Bottom