Just For FUN - Top of The Line Free Agent you'd Consider Paying Top Dollar For ? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Just For FUN - Top of The Line Free Agent you'd Consider Paying Top Dollar For ?

So you think that we can add 3 high priced FA ?

I mean I know we can, but I'm not clear on the ideal amount we can add and still be strong enough in the cap dept to make the additional pickups of still quality but more affordable. I guess from our point of view not having any real idea how the organization see's it is the million dollar question. I'd love three Judon, Thuney, Jones or Simmons that would be a hell of a start.

I don't see Miami signing more than 1 high dollar FA. More likely 1 of those and the remainder being quality players. Even then, I don't see Miami breaking the bank for one guy.

why is everyone trying to open up the pocket books for Thuney? a guard? not worth it

Why? because we find ourselves in a position of having to rebuild an OL, and we aren't going to solve that all in the draft-so if you are asking what position and which player we should spend on...

that combined with jbyrd850's comment... he would be my guy.

Why? because we find ourselves in a position of having to rebuild an OL, and we aren't going to solve that all in the draft-so if you are asking what position and which player we should spend on...

that combined with jbyrd850's comment... he would be my guy.

I know little about the OG FAs so I'm not disagreeing. Only asking for opinion. How much would Miami save by getting the 2nd or 3rd best OG and what is the quality of play difference?

I don't see Miami signing more than 1 high dollar FA. More likely 1 of those and the remainder being quality players. Even then, I don't see Miami breaking the bank for one guy.

Normally I'd be right there with ya. But this year in all that weve set up and the outstanding position we've put ourselves in see the opening of more than usual opportunities and still being free to take advantage of opportunities down the road. Be interesting to see what the organization really is about. Is it traditional conservatism or grabbing the bull by the horns ...time will tell.

I think part of my post was actually wondering exactly about this question.
Wondering how many of the high priced players are we able to go after. We do have a bundle of Jack...jack
And down the road the level of quality after the 1-2-3 (I don't know) we still aggressively go after.
I mean 1 is a given min 2-3 IMO....

I know little about the OG FAs so I'm not disagreeing. Only asking for opinion. How much would Miami save by getting the 2nd or 3rd best OG and what is the quality of play difference?

There are a couple of 'name guys' him and Scherff and guys that seem to have been around a long time that I'm not sure we would want to go in that direction - like a Spain.. and what usually happens with anyone of any kind of quality, they get resigned or signed quickly for good money. Some figures below for ranges.

Zach Fulton signed this past March. Fulton — who averaged 11.5 starts per season in his four years in Kansas City — secured a four-year, $28 million deal with $13 million fully guaranteed at signing. Next on the list is Denver’s Ron Leary, who signed a four-year, $36 million deal with $18.65 fully guaranteed at the age of 27 last offseason. From there, Cleveland’s Joel Bitonio checks in at $10 million per year, followed by Tampa’s Ali Marpet at $10.825 million per year. Essentially this projected deal is the same as the four-year, $29 million contract that Jets guard Brian Winters signed in 2017, but adjusted for an estimated 2019 league salary cap of $190 million.

ttps://www.patspulpit.com/2018/11/8/18065776/a-way-too-early-contract-projection-for-patriots-guard-joe-thuney

Another reason I like Thuney-

One of the best guards in the NFL, Thuney figures to be a high priority for the Patriots this offseason. Since being selected in the third round of the 2016 draft, Thuney has played in and started 64 of 64 possible games.

There are a couple of 'name guys' him and Scherff and guys that seem to have been around a long time that I'm not sure we would want to go in that direction - like a Spain.. and what usually happens with anyone of any kind of quality, they get resigned or signed quickly for good money. Some figures below for ranges.

Zach Fulton signed this past March. Fulton — who averaged 11.5 starts per season in his four years in Kansas City — secured a four-year, $28 million deal with $13 million fully guaranteed at signing. Next on the list is Denver’s Ron Leary, who signed a four-year, $36 million deal with $18.65 fully guaranteed at the age of 27 last offseason. From there, Cleveland’s Joel Bitonio checks in at $10 million per year, followed by Tampa’s Ali Marpet at $10.825 million per year. Essentially this projected deal is the same as the four-year, $29 million contract that Jets guard Brian Winters signed in 2017, but adjusted for an estimated 2019 league salary cap of $190 million.

ttps://www.patspulpit.com/2018/11/8/18065776/a-way-too-early-contract-projection-for-patriots-guard-joe-thuney

Another reason I like Thuney-

One of the best guards in the NFL, Thuney figures to be a high priority for the Patriots this offseason. Since being selected in the third round of the 2016 draft, Thuney has played in and started 64 of 64 possible games.

Very good. Of OG FAs available this year (not all will make it to FA), what do you expect to be the salary difference and what is the difference in level of play?

I ask because I have no idea which positions Miami will prioritize if FA and, at some (most) positions, won't be going for one of the top 2 guys. Just because some of us here want a top OG doesn't mean Grier/Flo have the same priority.

Very good. Of OG FAs available this year (not all will make it to FA), what do you expect to be the salary difference and what is the difference in level of play?

I ask because I have no idea which positions Miami will prioritize if FA and, at some (most) positions, won't be going for one of the top 2 guys. Just because some of us here want a top OG doesn't mean Grier/Flo have the same priority.

Thuney the top paid - at around 14-15M of course guaranteed monies are what is important.
Schreff might get about 12-13M avg per year?

after that - some type of slotting around and down but very few will be any real quality- Spain at 8M- maybe- the others 5-6M..

"difference in level of play" is each to his own opinion but I think the difference in play from those top two vs the rest of the rest is worth the extra monies.. and we have the money. Again, this question was who would I consider paying top dollar to-he would be my guy...

These would be my picks, too.

Honorable mention: Bud Dupree

Looks like Thuney is the only one who will hit the market, though.
It seems like every year teams find ways to re-sign their own. This year, I was hoping with all the cap issues Dallas is having and still not having re-signed Prescott and Cooper, that Byron Jones would somehow make it to F/A. If the Patriots are the Patriots, they'll somehow and inexplicably let Thuney walk. He's the one OL, Miami sorely needs. As for Simmons, he's perfect for the back end of the secondary. But unfortunately, Denver is doing everything possible to re-sign him. If not they'll just slap the tag on him. I just wish Miami gets a little lucky in F/A this year and is able to sign quality players that make some serious contributions. Instead of sit on injured reserve or just go through the motions.

It seems like every year teams find ways to re-sign their own. This year, I was hoping with all the cap issues Dallas is having and still not having re-signed Prescott and Cooper, that Byron Jones would somehow make it to F/A. If the Patriots are the Patriots, they'll somehow and inexplicably let Thuney walk. He's the one OL, Miami sorely needs. As for Simmons, he's perfect for the back end of the secondary. But unfortunately, Denver is doing everything possible to re-sign him. If not they'll just slap the tag on him. I just wish Miami gets a little lucky in F/A this year and is able to sign quality players that make some serious contributions. Instead of sit on injured reserve or just go through the motions.

Pats are already paying Mason and Cannon so the question is will they add Thuney to the list, or will they try and get by without paying him.

Joe Thuney
Derrick Henry
Yannick Ngakoue

we can fit all 3 into that $100m war chest, right?!

Just a little perspective and the amount we have going into the FA obviously is part of the question.
I think important to know is my understanding we are at about 102 million in salaries owed.
200 mil new cap
carry over 24 mil makes 224 mil... minus 5 mil reserv. for draft = 219 mil
219 mil minus present salaries 102 mil = 117 mil.

117 mil salaries minus 12+ mil dead money........................... =104 mil for FA

Now Draft with 3 1st gona be more like a 20+ mil hit
Puts us realistically not adding in up coming cuts about 84-5 mil for FA.

Think this will give a general idea of what we have to work with going into FA.

The kind of guys worth "top dollar" almost never make it on to the market.

I want to see Miami add 2 starting OL in this free agency period.They will have to pay but I do not want to see them make anyone the highest paid at their position like we have seen OL paid in the past few years.

Hell we just saw a mediocre Juwan James get a ton of $$$ last year not to mention back to back OT the Patriots let go who violently overpaid.

Two solid upgrades to what they have(most likely interior guys)and then target a OT in the Draft, it is a pretty deep and solid class at that spot.

Back
Top Bottom