Just great...another 2nd round defensive player who can help special teams | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Just great...another 2nd round defensive player who can help special teams

erralyn

Starter
Reaction score
Gee, I wonder who this reminds me of.

We spend a lot of money in free agency signing Defensive Ends, then we go out and draft one.

The Surtain trade was supposed to shift the team's emphasis from defense to offense, and we use that pick on a defensive player?

We had a glut at CB (with Surtain, Poole, Madison and Howard). Now we have a glut at DE.

Hmm, usings picks on RBs and defensive depth. Saban, you and WannspielJohnson are peas in a pod, as far as drafting is concerned.

When 1st round talent falls to middle of round 2...........YOU GRAB IT NO MATTER WHAT THE POSITION!

The thing is, Moore was projected to be a 5th rounder and wasn't very good in College. Roth on the other hand was projected to be a 1st rounder, so we got value. ALSO, Kevin Carter is in his 30's and so will Jason Taylor be this season. Roth will be a starter in 2 years most likely. Plus, this gives us a lot of options on the DL, because Carter can also play DT and nobody knows if Bowens and Chester will be 100% this year.

You have no clue.

This dude will be a starter. He will be a starter in a 34 defense. He will rush from the edge. Saban doesn't want 230lb linebackers.

Just to clue you in.......

Willie Mcginest 6'5" 270lbs

Matt Roth 6'3" 272lbs

YOu have no clue what you are saying this is such a dumb thread this is an awsome pick up. The guy is a machine on the field he has a motor that never stops and I saw some mocks with him going in the mid first round. Scouts say the reason he may drop is because he has a temper. read this:

Roth is regarded as one of the premier pass rushers in the collegiate ranks and one of the toughest players in the country. He is a blue-chip prospect with a blue-collar work ethic. Roth is a colorful character who plays the game as if he is on a "search and destroy" mission. He is the source of a campus urban legend, as many Hawkeyes talk of the time Roth challenged and cleared out an entire bar in a fight.

Even in practices, the coaches have to pray he stays under control. They will generally blow the whistle early on plays, so Roth does not hurt any of the offensive players. There are times when he plays with such intensity in practices that the coaches must sit him down, even for walk-throughs.

The guy is and animal and I think a great pick up!!

Roth is ready to play right now this is an awesome pick. If you can get to the QB your CB's will have a much easier time covering and get more interceptions. Roth will be like a Vrabel Bruschi type player

The Dolphins could have taken anybody in the second round and Errorlyn would be bitching that this is the second coming of Eddie Moore. :rolleyes:

I trust what Saban is doing because he has done so much more scouting than anyone here. I have complete trust in Saban and what he is doing.

Crappy teams SHOULD NOT DRAFT FOR DEPTH

And that's what we did.

In fact I'm surprised we didn't take Nugent, since we already have a (reasonably) good kicker.

The Dolphins sucked last year and we had obvious needs. Quarterback, for one. But to go and add a player to one of the deepest areas on our team..

..haven't we tried this before? Remember a certain CB we drafted in the 1st round a few years ago when we had Surtain and Madison already?

We'll never fill the holes on the team by constantly building towards the future. At some point you need to draft players who are improvements at their position.

Is Roth better than Carter and Jason Taylor right now? I highly doubt it on both counts.

Eddie Moore all over again.

erralyn said:
And that's what we did.

In fact I'm surprised we didn't take Nugent, since we already have a (reasonably) good kicker.

The Dolphins sucked last year and we had obvious needs. Quarterback, for one. But to go and add a player to one of the deepest areas on our team..

..haven't we tried this before? Remember a certain CB we drafted in the 1st round a few years ago when we had Surtain and Madison already?

We'll never fill the holes on the team by constantly building towards the future. At some point you need to draft players who are improvements at their position.

Is Roth better than Carter and Jason Taylor right now? I highly doubt it on both counts.

Eddie Moore all over again.
Dude please stop, you are making a fool of yourself. Saban isn't interested in a quick fix, he is doing what is best for the future of this Franchise. Roth will be a backup/rotational player this year, but he will be starting probably in two years and has the skills to dominate.

Come on guys. Quit complaining about Sabans pick. Face it, our defense is getting old!
I think Saban is putting us in a situation to field the best possible team he can. I doubt everyone we signed this offseason on defense will be here. It will finally be a good change to see that the ones that get to start on defense will have earned a starting job due competing for that spot instead of just getting it because you are a veteran. Let us see what kind of team Saban fields this fall before we start complaining.

He reminds me so much of Teddy Bruschi. Great attitude, heart and ability. As I said in 3 posts now, he's versatile enough to play all over the place and he's got great instincts as a player.

I love this pick.

Back
Top Bottom