Just in from the game.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Just in from the game....

Coral Reefer

Help save our Reefs ~ www.ReefCheck.org
Reaction score
Few personal observations from tonight's game.

Overall, it was mostly positive.

There were some glaring negatives though.

I'll get the first and the one I'll get ripped for out of the way.

Regardless of what many on this board think... Jay Fiedler DOES in fact have a problem throwing deep. Can he do it? yes but with consistent regularity.... no. Rarely can he hit a guy in stride and he showed it again big time tonight. He can get it done short and medium but when you need to try and stretch the field the guy has problems and I think always will. Other than that weakness Jay did pretty well tonight although he seemed to be a bit out of synch and had a little problem reading the defense quickly enough. Probably just rust.

The next 2 are the most troubling

Jamar Fletcher:
I know many have been raving about this guy and the coaching staff has been trying to blow tons of sunshine up this guys arse in the media to manipulate him to take that next step but the bottom line is that he is still more of a liability on the field than a positive. This guy will continue to be the corner that is picked on and he just dosen't have it in him during game situations. He got spanked on many occasions tonight. The Falcons went at him and rightly so. Many others will do the same.

Wade Smith:
Another situation the coaching staff is trying their best to sugar coat in the media to give this guy confidence that he can do the job. Reality, IMO, they are right..... with passing situations he held his ground pretty well. Above avg. for a rookie actually.

However, in the running game......

:nono:

This guy has major problems. He was getting outmuscled on many running plays. For those of you that really didn't think OL depth was a problem...... reality is knocking on the door.
Dixon coming back healthy is a MUST. As far behind as this guy looked in his run blocking.... he's just not going to be able to get it done when it matters. Dixon coming back is priority number 1.
If he's out for an extended amount of time, the team may suffer greatly IMO of course.

Another continuing trend....

Sam Madison who seems to always get burned for a TD against top recievers. Disagree with me all you want on this but Mr. mouth dosen't back up his talk with the same level of play.
Peerless Price flat out schooled him and made him look slow and flat.

The highlights were many...

Jason Taylor seems to be in midseason form against the run and the pass.... he was getting double teamed tonight and still applied pressure. Only negative about that was that the other I did'nt notice the ends on the other side making any noise. That should happen if JT is getting all the attention. Maybe another problem. JT however is ready to roll.

Junior Seau looked much better. Aggressive and swarming to the ball. I think he's getting comfy with the scheme and his role.

Larry Chester looked tough and aggressive colapsing the line.

I think I have to agree with a few others who have mentioned that Zgonia may have been the biggest pick up in FA.
This guy is tough, aggressive and does well in collapsing the interior line.

D Thompson made some tough catches as did Mcmichael when Fiedler threw into a crowd.

JR Tolver impressed tonight.

The biggest positive that everyone noticed though was the kick return game. Charlie Rogers and Sam Simmons are going to turn our return teams around a complete 180 degrees. A kick, a punt or both will be returned for a TD this year.

While at the game I was quite pissed at Wanny for only putting Griese in for one series. I could'nt understand how this guy expects him to get comfortable with the O and get ready in case Jay went down. Then I get into the car and hear Griese hurt his toe? :nono: Did anyone see a dog running across the field?

Overall the team looked much more awake and aggressive. Hopefully the trend will continue.

It was one play...and it is Pre-Season. To me it looks like Miami was playing Cover 2 on that play and it was Marion's job to get Price when he was in the endzone/

Originally posted by Prime Time
It was one play...and it is Pre-Season. To me it looks like Miami was playing Cover 2 on that play and it was Marion's job to get Price when he was in the endzone/

Funny how people say that every time Madison gets beat.
That darn safety sure lets him down a lot!
:huh:

No No...from the replay I saw on ESPN, IMO it looked Cover 2...but I could be wrong. I would not want to blame Marion neither. I like both alot, but when the ball was thrown you saw Marion running to Price.

That's funny part of being at the game and don't have the benefit of seeing the play over and over like we did at home. They were in some sort of Zone and Price split it. I think Sam thought since the receiver headed straight up the field the safety was suppose to take him and I think Marion thought the reciever was going to do a flag and Madison was gonna get him..It was a great route ran by a speedy reciever and it worked to prefection...a TD. I think the team looks at that on film and makes the neccessary adjustments, because it was a good route for the type of coverage the phins were playing.

Originally posted by MDFINFAN
That's funny part of being at the game and don't have the benefit of seeing the play over and over like we did at home. They were in some sort of Zone and Price split it. I think Sam thought since the receiver headed straight up the field the safety was suppose to take him and I think Marion thought the reciever was going to do a flag and Madison was gonna get him..It was a great route ran by a speedy reciever and it worked to prefection...a TD. I think the team looks at that on film and makes the neccessary adjustments, because it was a good route for the type of coverage the phins were playing.

It could very well be, all I'm saying is that it just seems to happen to Madison a little too often.

Originally posted by Trekbiz

It could very well be, all I'm saying is that it just seems to happen to Madison a little too often.

I hear ya...I've read a lot of Sam getting burned by CC in TC. I am a little concerned.

The play was a zone.. Madison had the short to medium left side and Marion had the deep side.. That is why MAdison hesitated to take Price deep because it wasnt his job to do so.. I've been hearing alot about Madison getting football caught on him all to Training camp as well.. It was a miscommunication.. Even the broadcaster pointed it out.. Lots of people are out for Madison for having a bad year last year where he still was efffective and still was better than 90-95% of the CB's out there.. I'm more concern about Chambers having alligator arms out there in the middle of the field..

Back
Top Bottom