Just Rod Woodson Giving Dan Marino His Due Respect. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Just Rod Woodson Giving Dan Marino His Due Respect.

I never thought Steve young was better than Joe. I think they let Joe go to early
Agree on both counts. In fairness, Montana was coming back from injury, but you would think a multiple SB/MVP winner would get the benefit of the doubt.

I think there were some politics involving Seifert behind the scene.

Not that we don't already know this but it never gets old hearing it.

If Dan was playing in today's NFL they would have to rewrite the rules as it would not be fair and in my opinion he would hands down be the best QB in the game.

Not to be disrespectful to your opinion, but Id strongly argue that teams win Super Bowls. 49rs had phenom teams...their Ds were incredibly underrated but had top shelf players throughout. Their offense was stacked with talent also. Young did not look very impressive before the 9ers, first couple years with the Bucs.
Not disrespectful at all. They were an absolutely dominant team, on both sides of the ball. Anyone who says differently doesn't know what they are talking about.

That has nothing to do with the way Montana could dissect a defense.

Marino's physical talent was such that there was no window too small. That negates the necessity of intricate offensive schemes to get receivers open.

Montana was a master of the west coast offense. Marino was a cannon.

Not disrespectful at all. They were an absolutely dominant team, on both sides of the ball. Anyone who says differently doesn't know what they are talking about.

That has nothing to do with the way Montana could dissect a defense.

Marino's physical talent was such that there was no window too small. That negates the necessity of intricate offensive schemes to get receivers open.

Montana was a master of the west coast offense. Marino was a cannon.

Well stated. I guess that I'd go with this take FWIW...Marino on those 9er team has a fistful of rings. Montana on the Dolphins teams has no rings and does not put up the numbers that Marino did. Obviously that is as subjective as you can get.

Agree on both counts. In fairness, Montana was coming back from injury, but you would think a multiple SB/MVP winner would get the benefit of the doubt.

I think there were some politics involving Seifert behind the scene.
in the end I think it cost them about 2 sb, but u know steve took over a loaded team as well in 90s..steve was good too...

Well stated. I guess that I'd go with this take FWIW...Marino on those 9er team has a fistful of rings. Montana on the Dolphins teams has no rings and does not put up the numbers that Marino did. Obviously that is as subjective as you can get.
Probably true.

Talk about alternate time lines. Would the west coast offense have developed the same way if Walsh/Debartalo had drafted Marino?

Marino shattered all the existing records and created the standards for modern elite QBs today.

If memory serves, it was former NFL QB Pat Haden that said Marino was the first QB he remembers throwing to spots on the field where the WR was supposed to be.
When Marino first came into the league, he was 2 steps ahead of defenses and all the other QB's. Much of how the QB position is played today was greatly influenced by the true GOAT in my book, #13.

Marino was also known for accuracy, to actually throw to receivers body parts.
Example was Keith Byars on swing passes. Marino would put it on his hip so he would not break stride.
One of the all time greats along with Dan Fouts of his era.

I don't know how you could slow Marino down with today's rules. I don't know about 7,000 yards, but he probably would have easily completed 70 percent of his passes with more touchdowns and fewer interceptions.

Back
Top Bottom