Justin Blackmon not the top WR on every board | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Justin Blackmon not the top WR on every board

datruth55

Hungry for defense
Club Member
Reaction score
Its a universal thought outside of scouting circles that Oklahoma State junior Justin Blackmon is the number one receiver in April’s NFL draft. But as we have found out that’s not necessarily the case on some draft boards around the league.

Justin Blackmon is a receiver prospect to get excited about. He’s big, electric and athletic. Many rank him as the number one receiver available in the 2012 draft and we’ve likened his skills to those of Terrell Owens.

Yet talk to a few teams and area scouts who patrol the southwest and you’ll find they do not necessarily share the same opinion.

In fact another Big 12 receiver, Kendall Wright of Baylor, adorns the top spot at the receiver position on their draft boards.

Earlier this week we were alerted that several teams, including one NFC team in the playoffs this weekend, grade Wright as the top wide out in the draft. After several conversations with scouts and league insiders we found out this is not an anomaly- many decision makers rate Kendall Wright higher than his Big 12 counterpart.

When teams look at Wright’s film they see the entire receiver package; great speed, quickness, acceleration and more than anything else- tremendous hands. He’s graded as a terrific route runner with barely any stiffness in his game and a prospect that understands the position. Wright’s ability to outrun defenders down the field and beat them in midair for the difficult reception is only surpassed by the consistent separation he gets from opponents in underneath coverage.
http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=5968

I'm surprised and I'm not surprised. He's darn good and depending on what you're looking for in a WR I can see why some would have him rated so high. This should put to rest the RGIII had no talent around him argument though.

The keys are his size and speed. A guy like Floyd from ND is prototypical size/speed, compared to Calvin Johnson. Another big guy with wheels is Alshon Jeffries. I see Blackmon being a great #1 WR, but maybe not the deep threat, a lot like a Hines Ward.

The argument that RG3 had no talent around him was put to rest a long time ago. Anybody that studied Baylor football with any significance and knew what the hell they were looking at immediately saw the immense talent of Kendall Wright.

Wright was leading my list of underrated WR's before the season began. I've said many times that he's the best pro prospect on Baylor's squad. It really wasn't even hard to discern to be quite honest.

I have zero problem with any team that has Kendall Wright as the #1 WR on their board. In reality, it probably is that close between Wright and Blackmon.

If you've seen the tape of Blackmon's struggles with Leonard Johnson, along with Blackmon fumbling the football for no reason heading into the endzone against Texas A&M, etc.... you just don't see anything like that out of Kendall Wright. I can understand teams taking everything available into consideration, and just coming away feeling a little better about Wright. That's not necessarily a knock on Blackmon either, they're both superior talents. Kendall Wright is just that good.

I made my case a long time ago for Wright. I don't see a particular weakness in his game that stands out. In fact, almost every facet of his game is tremendous. I made my case for Kendall Wright in this thread a while back (post #35)...

http://www.finheaven.com/forums/showthread.php?311377-Rg3!!&p=1064147430&highlight=#post1064147430

I really like Wright a lot and I think he will be an excellent NFL WR. However, Bryant is still the alpha dog in this draft. As long as Bryant runs in the sub 4.6 I don't see that changing. People said TO didn't have great speed yet he managed to find the end zone 150+ times in his career. Bryant reminds me a ton of TO, just without all the drama.

I know what you're saying Slimm but there are still some around here who deny the talent on that Baylor team.

If he is the best player available then Im all 4 it.

blackmon
floyd
wright
jeffery
thats my order
Floyd won't be that high because of his off field stuff. Just like Dez Bryant fell into the 20's when he should have been top 10, Floyd will fall.

i think floyd will be on the board longer than people think also because of the 2 duis...i don't think wright will go before blackmon though

Blackmon is a beast WR but Wright is a ****ing fantastic blocker. Just fantastic.

Honestly, as much as I like Justin Blackmon, Kendall Wright is the more complementary player to Brandon Marshall & the type of WR we need to stretch the defense. He's extremely fast, quick, great hands... If he had more punt/kick return experience he would probably be a no brainer pick for us.

How anyone has Floyd over Wright is a mystery to me. Flyod is overrated as heck in my opinion.

It goes

1A. Blackmon
1B. Wright

I haven't seen enough Wright to make any bold proclamations, and player analogies are poor excuses for evaluation, but watching him move (speaking both with and without the ball) reminds me of something between S. Holmes and S. Smith (Carolina). Really intrigued.

Back
Top Bottom