****Justin Herbert Super Thread**** | Page 122 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

****Justin Herbert Super Thread****

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's like a seesaw. In order for one to go up one has to stay down.

To prop Tua up as a QB God means everyone else has worts and he doesn't.

I guess when it comes down to it, OP, the answer depends on who do you trust?

NFL League Sources (as presented by the media) or Posters on a Message Board

Set for two years no ****ing way that would happen in the NFL
Herbert cant start right away. But sit him for 2 or 3 years? Behind a good old school coach (theres a reason we got Gailey), and learn from.a veteran like Fitz...

He can be really good.
Sit for two years no ****ing way that would happen in the NFL today

Who knows. I only really saw him play live once and that was against Auburn. They have lots of NFL caliber defenders and he didn't have a great showing. Tua's sample size is much, much bigger so he's rough drives/games stand out less to me.

Accuracy for me is the big factor. Players spend years throwing and playing quarterback a certain way. We will never fix that issue. If you cannot trust a guy to make routine throws week in and week out he should not be playing quarterback. We will be back in the same boat in 3 years because we went for the "prototype". And grier and Flores will be shown the door

If he had come out last year, he would have probably been the second pick in the draft after Murray. If Tua was not in this draft there would probably be a lot more Dolphin fans who would be okay with the Dolphins drafting Herbert,

He is just caught up in the Tua mania just like every other player in this years draft when it comes to Dolphin fans. For the vast majority of the fans on this site, it is draft Tua or bust.

I am basically okay with whoever they draft with their first pick, even if it is Herbert. The only position that would upset me if they drafted at 5 or 3 if they trade up is Left Tackle.They already had a young pro bowl player at LT and trading him away and then selecting an unproven college LT that early in the draft would be absurd IMO. I would rather have Tunsil at LT than any of the LT’s in this draft,

Set for two years no ****ing way that would happen in the NFL

Sit for two years no ****ing way that would happen in the NFL today
No ****. Just give him a decade on the bench. He will be good in 2030.

Bc Herbert can’t throw to the sidelines. He doesn’t have the strength and accuracy to throw outside the hash. If we are going to take a QB in the first round he better be able to make all the throws

Herberts accuracy, instincts, and play in big games are not even close to Tua. If Tua wasn’t injured this would not be a discussion of who to take, Tua is hands down the better player and the gap between the two in my opinion is big... Accuracy, instincts and clutch play at this stage is something that would be difficult or impossible to coach

Here is my view on the QBs in this draft:

JOE BURROW: 527 attempts, 76.3%C, 15.5 attempts per sack, 87.8 attempts per interception, 8.9 attempts per TD, 118 Reliability filter.
Takes too many sacks but does not have "elite" escapeability like Wilson or Jackson or frame and arm to take the pounding like Cam or Wentz or Allen. That's a risk.
Production reliability is over 100 which indicates wacky numbers, unreliable production. He is an elite decision maker and scorer, so he will likely be okay. Comp on numbers: Derek Carr, Marcus Mariota, Jimmy Garoppolo.
What makes him first round QB: winning grit, ability to scoot to offset some of the risks, and high scoring ability. Could potentially pan out to lead a team to playoffs and give a chance at SB on rookie contract. I'd pass.

TUA TAGOVAULOA: 252 attempts, 71.4%C, 25.2 attempts per sack, 84 attempts per interception, 7.6 attempts per TD, 198 Reliability filter.
Somewhat low attempts per game, not used to carrying the team, and wacky unreliable production. Elite decision maker and elite scorer. Comps: Case Kennum, Sam Bradford. Doubt that he will pan out on rookie contract. No use for this player on rookie contract.

JUSTIN HERBERT: 428 attempts, 66.8%C, 17.8 attempts per sack, 71.3 attempts per interception, 13.4 attempts per TD, 64 Reliability filter.
Borderline takes too many sacks, but has the frame and athleticism to take the pounding. Good scorer, and elite decision maker. Comp: Mitch Trubisky, Dak Prescott. He can give a team a decent chance on rookie contract.

JORDAN LOVE: 473 attempts, 62%C, 23.7 attempts per sack, 27.8 attempts per interception, 23.7 attempts per TD, 17 Reliability filter.
Poor completions, poor decision making, poor scoring, just a depressing quarterback. Not worth it. Will likely do nothing on rookie contract. There is no use for this player on rookie contract. Comp: Jameis Winston.

JACOB EASON: 405 attempts, 64%C, 19.3 attempts per sack, 50.6 attempts per interception, 17.6 attempts per TD, 35.6 Reliability filter.

Eason is an okay prospect, but he does not score enough, Late rounds prospect for a backup role. Comp: Blake Bortles, Davis Webb, Nick Foles. No use for this player on rookie contract.

JAKE FROMM: 385 attempts, 60.8%C, 25.7 attempts per sack, 77 attempts per interception, 16.0 attempts per TD, 75 Reliability filter.

Completions are low and scoring is low, but he is an elite decision maker. Late rounds as a backup. Essentially no use for this player as a starter on rookie contract. Comp: Nathan Peterman, Danny Ettling, Garrett Gilbert.

JALEN HURTS: 340 attempts, 69.7%C, 14.8 attempts per sack, 42.5 attempts per interception, 10.6 attempts per TD, 41 Reliability filter.

Sacks are high, decision making is a little low. Scoring is great. He is 6-1. Comps: Kevin Hogan, Johnny Manziel, Robert Griffin. I'd pass. No use for this player on rookie contract. It all depends on running usage, if he can supplement his passing game with running.

ANTHONY GORDON: 689 attempts, 71.6%C, 34.5 attempts per sack, 43 attempts per interception, 14.4 attempts per TD, 74 Reliability filter.

Clears the benchmarks across the board. Negatives are he is a one year starter, but he did squeeze in 689 attempts which is an equivalent of two seasons of passing, and he did well; and arm strength is not top notch. Comp: Deshaun Watson, Teddy Bridgewater, Worth a shot at starting job, he can give a team a decent chance.

Cole McDonald: 511 attempts, 63.8%C, 26.9 attempts per sack, 36.5 attempts per interception, 15.5 attempts per TD, 40 Reliability filter.

Decision making is borderline and scoring is a little high, but not terribly bad. High comp is Drew Lock, but he is not quite as good. More appropriate comps are Matt Stafford and Kirk Cousins. He is an excellent value in mid rounds.

QUARTERBACKS WORTH DRAFTING TO GIVE YOU A CHANCE AT PLAYOFFS AND POSSIBLY SB ON ROOKIE CONTRACT:
Herbert (which I would pass on because the value is not top 10)
Gordon, this is where the value is.
McDonald. this is where the value is.

Herberts accuracy, instincts, and play in big games are not even close to Tua. If Tua wasn’t injured this would not be a discussion of who to take, Tua is hands down the better player and the gap between the two in my opinion is big... Accuracy, instincts and clutch play at this stage is something that would be difficult or impossible to coach
If it is impossible to coach then he will never succeed in the NFL. Only time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom